Why give a captain a storm shield, if he comes with an iron halo? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Why give a captain a storm shield, if he comes with an iron halo?

Evening all,

While reading through my shiny new BA codex, I came across an entry which got me thinking.

Why would a BA captain, which comes with an iron halo, have the option of taking a storm shield?

I can see for the improved invul save, but is spending the points worth it?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SheBeast76; May 3rd, 2010 at 03:39. Reason: typo

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Toy Soldier Aficionado Wolf Guard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

50% of the time he will pass, as opposed to 66% of the time. I'll take the 3 up thank you.
    The Wolf time is upon us!
    Rep for the Rep God! Positive for the Positive Throne!
    Armies: Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Emperors Children, Necrons, Eldar

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

I can see that.

Toy Soldier Aficionado Wolf Guard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

Then why are you asking this question. If you can see the advantages, and the disadvantages, then form your opinion about it. Don't let someone else make up your mind for you.
    The Wolf time is upon us!
    Rep for the Rep God! Positive for the Positive Throne!
    Armies: Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Emperors Children, Necrons, Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x5)

There is literally no reason other than the boosted survivability. It may not be the most efficient use of points, but when your tooled up Captain comes up face to face with a Carnifex or a Wraithlord, that improved save could very well save your skin!
    We've got plenty of youth... How about a fountain of smart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Since BA Captains don't have access to artificier armour, it essentially turns your armour save invulnerable. You don't have to do it, but it's a great idea so long as the points are there.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Guard View Post
    Then why are you asking this question. If you can see the advantages, and the disadvantages, then form your opinion about it. Don't let someone else make up your mind for you.

It's about the points, really. I was thinking about a captain, with a SS, in games under 1000pts. I wasn't sure if taking away any range ability was a good idea ...

I guess I can throw him in a razorback or rhino, with a non-jumping assault squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by LeapingLizard76 View Post
    It's about the points, really. I was thinking about a captain, with a SS, in games under 1000pts. I wasn't sure if taking away any range ability was a good idea ...
    A Marine HQ's ranged capacity is not so huge a deal; they're nearly always most effective in close combat. The real loss is the extra close combat attack. The answer to your question is whether you value survivability over cost and damage output.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

...also depends what other equipment the Captain has. If he is super cheap with nothing special on him, SS might be a waste of points, but if you have one on bike or with a pack, using relic blade, plasma pistol and/or something else on top of that, giving him a small boos in his save for a fraction of his cost might not be such a bad idea... I myself rarely do it, but I tend to keep him just over 160pts (on a bike, with relic blade only). If taking power fist and running around with a CC oriented squad, he would take the shield.

+ Reply to Thread