Inducted Infantry Platoon - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inducted Infantry Platoon

Hi Guys

Im doing a Daemonhunters army and am looking to induct some IG into it. After looking over the codex I have roughly come up with the following list from the infantry platoon list
    (please be nice if I give the wrong names but hopefully you can understand what I mean)

Platoon Command Squad - 5 guys with 3 meltaguns, possibly a heavy flamer
    Infantry Squad - 10 guys with 1 flamer
    Infantry squad - 10 guys with 1 flamer
    Special Weapons Squad - 6 guys with 3 plasmaguns
    Special Weapons Squad - 6 guys with 3 plasmaguns

So what do you guys think? Does it seem alright? Anything obviously silly with it?
    Also this counts as one troops choice so to confer a killpoint the enemy will have to take out every model right? I have been using small squads of inquisitorial stormtroopers but they get wiped out easily and confer too many kill points to the enemy so hopefully this will tackle that problem

Thanks all for your help, I thought it would be a good idea to pop over here from the daemonhunters forum to ask the experts

Yoshi

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x2)

all that comes out to 5 kill points if its all seperate. If you want to minimize the kill points you can combine all the stuff except for the command squad into 1 large squad. If doing this give plasma to the infantry squads and maybe an auto cannon to keep the str 7 thing going.Id give the command squad plasmas too as there on foot and will never get to use there meltas.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>> My Produced Music<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Donations Welcome$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by p0lak View Post
    all that comes out to 5 kill points if its all seperate. If you want to minimize the kill points you can combine all the stuff except for the command squad into 1 large squad. If doing this give plasma to the infantry squads and maybe an auto cannon to keep the str 7 thing going.Id give the command squad plasmas too as there on foot and will never get to use there meltas.
    Oh so they do count as seperate choices...I guess I got confused when it said something along the lines of them counting as 1 troops choice and are rolled for together for reinforcements.
    Cant the command squad combine with the other squads? If they can I may make one of the special weapons squads meltaguns and combine them with the command squad...just a thought though

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

Not the most experienced person to be posting here.

But it would be easier to help if you told us exactly what function in the DH army you are planning on filling with them. Are they your core units? You said you are inducting them, which leads me to believe you have already been running a DH army without them, in which case you are adding them to fill a gap.

Or am I wrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As i understand it: The whole platoon counts as 1 troops choice and comes in as 1 reserves choice. Each individual squad coults for 1 kill point.

So for example two infantry squads are 2 kill points where as combining the two into a 20man blob squad would only have 1 kill point

i dont think you can combine in special weapon squads only basic infantry squads

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Serran View Post
    But it would be easier to help if you told us exactly what function in the DH army you are planning on filling with them. Are they your core units? You said you are inducting them, which leads me to believe you have already been running a DH army without them, in which case you are adding them to fill a gap.

Or am I wrong?
    Well my army list consists of 5 grey knight terminators, 20 power armour grey knights, a grey knight dreadnought with plasma cannon and a SoB immolator with meltagun dominions. I am also thinking of adding an inquisitor for fluff reasons.

I mostly play against the same army so I know what i will be up against, 20 marines, 10 scouts with shotguns, land raider redeemer, 5 terminators and a librarian, a multi melta dreadnought and drop pods.

The inducted guard will be replacing my smaller fragile squads of stormtroopers as I have been having problems with them giving away too many easy kill points.
    I was hoping to be able to use the infantry squads as meat shields, use the plasmagun squads to take out marines and maybe the command squad as a little extra anti tank if needed, otherwise anti terminator or something similar.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

To be totally honest, I'd just go with my standard fare Infantry platoon, that works regardless of who it's fighting:

Platoon Command Squad, x4 Meltaguns (or plasmas in your case, if you want, but I usually take G.Launchers, since I've got my low AP elsewhere in my IG list)

Infantry Squads 1, 2, and 3
    1xAutocannon per squad
    1xGrenade Launcher per squad.

This gives you three autocannons for anti-tank firepower (remember, they're only BS3, so the second shot on the autocannon will, statistically, get them more kills). The Grenade Launcher is my personal choice, though it can be another plasma rifle or meltagun (though either are pricey). Depending on the mission, keep them separate or combine them.

If you're really feeling ballsy, instead of taking 1 platoon with three squads, take two platoons with two squads, with the same loadouts. This gives you a stupid number of scoring units (six, to be specific),for not a lot of points (comparatively). It would also give you eight (!) melta guns, four autocannons, and four grenade launchers.

I love IG platoons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

commisars are great to stick into merged squads as well. I assume they can be inducted because they are an upgrade for the squad. a 20 man squad with 2 heavy weapons and a lot of wounds before you have to touch said heavy weapons (19 i think)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

Yep, they're an upgrade, and thusly can be inducted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ckerensky made a great point with his idea of an infantry platoon. Get three squads of guardsmen and merge them into one super 30 man squad with a commissar to help with leadership. Flamers are a good choice but that is only if you are planning to use them as a tar pit or to run ahead and soak up fire from the enemy which are both decent strategies. If you are planning on using them differently however give them grenade launchers as they are both fluffy and do decent troop damage. However the fact that you'd have 30 LD 9 guys charging at your opponent screaming bloody murder with 3 flamers clearing the way is a pretty cool site to imagine. Id give your Platoon Command Squad Grenade launchers as you would want your platoon commander advancing just behind your blob squad so he can issue the "move move move" and "Rank Fire" orders which with 25+ guardsmen with lasguns is quite nasty. Keep your heavy weapons teams back to provide fire support and always go with multiple shot weapons to counter your BS 3.

Now the infantry platoon you pointed up Yoshi46 would cost you 350 points. Here is what cKerensky recommended and somewhat my idea for an infantry platoon:

-Platoon Command Squad
    *w/ x4 Grenade Launchers

-"Combined" Infantry Squad (1,2 & 3)
    *Commissar
    *x30 Guardsmen
    *w/ x3 Flamers

-x3 Heavy Weapons Teams
    *w/ Autocannons

This would be around 445 points. A bit more expensive to be sure but it will be much more effective in my personal opinion. If you are wanting to keep it at 350 points or less you could drop one of the infantry squads or even just keep the heavy weapon teams as mortars. The mortar i have found is the most underrated weapon in our arsenal (range 48 barrage strength 4 ap 6) and three or more of these really can do some damage. Have any more questions mate me and im sure other players wouldnt mind helping and good luck, cheers!
    Real players go Guard....Real Men go Airborne!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast