Army Transport Cases - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Army Transport Cases

The Imperial Guard tends towards more models and tanks than just about every other army in the game, so how do you use to transport your seas of infantry and columns of tanks? What do you use, and how many infantry models and tanks does it transport?

I ask this because my modest army of 70+ men and 4 tanks has just about outgrown its case, and I am in the market for another. A good case or set of cases for me would be able to transport up to 10 vehicles and 100+ infantry models, taking care of my expected army expansion.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

I'll be honest, I mostly use Ziplock bags. My rank and file infantry are quick painted and don't have anything that breaks off, so I just keep them in Baggies according to unit. I toss them all in a case surrounded by loose foam from a craft store (It was like 5 dollars). The tanks I have a very small case for with custom cut foam, I just got it from a craft store and cut it myself. Works very well. I transport the whole army in 3 cases but could probably do 2 if I needed too. In total it's 5 tanks, 3 Vendettas and around 70 loose infantry of varying types.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

I use the large GW case.tank hulls can fit in to replace the top tray of foam, if you replace both with tanks you'll have enough room for their turret in there, as well as 12 tanks and 144 infantry. If only I had 12 tanks and 144 infantry, one day...

The Emperor Protects
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a variety of home made systems for all my armies.
    For more "delicate and cared for" armies I have individual compartments for each model (like the GW carry case, but more space efficient).

For IG though, there are just too many guys to have each man with an individual hole, so I use layers of 1" thick foam stacked inside a box. I cut a 5mm slice half way through the foam to give the front half of the base something to slide into. Each layer of foam is the size of an A4 sheet of paper, so I can fit 4 rows of men per layer. The model just slips into the base groove and the neighbouring model just goes next to him. If there is any model that is longer or shorter than others then they just get more "groove" real-estate.

I stack the layers of foam into one of those boxes that A4 paper comes in. It fits about 7-8 layers of 1" thick foam +models.
    As the army grows I just add layers (and boxes if it gets really big). Keep the layers flat when you remove them or else the models will roll out of the groove and land in a heap.

Curently I have one box with over 150 men +heavy weapons teams and guns + HQ and other special guys. And another box with 4 tanks + all their accessories.

To help get the bottom layers of foam out of the box I have a folded cardboad layer which gives me something to hold near the top, and keeps the foam flat while it is being extracted. Its like the slings to lower a coffin into the ground. Hmm... come to think of it, at the end of a game it really is like I am lowering my dead men into their grave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To hold my 6 Vendettas i personally just found a really long and deep case lined with foam that holds them very nicely. Personally i think GW charges way to much for their cases so i go out and find others that work.
    Real players go Guard....Real Men go Airborne!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sabol army transport is quite good value for money and you can order different depths of foam for sizes of models and the foam has pull out squares to make custom fits IT'S AWESOME!!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

I just use a tackle box I picked up from the local fishing and goods store. The tackle areas hold all my infantry just fine, and all the more delicate stuff goes in the larger holding area with some padding. Works like a charm.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

If you need bespoke foam trays then Balltefoam.Com are reccomended but they are not cheap.

If you don't need to throw the case over your shoulder to use while cycling etc then a cheap method is to get a big plastic toolbox from a hardware/DIY store. Use magnetic self adhesive strips to place on the bottom of the toolbox trays and then either glue magnets or use self adhesive steel paper on the underside of the figures. This will keep the figures from sliding around inside as long as you hold the box roughly level.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

I use a variety of transport mechanisms. Two tackeboxes with 3 tray slots each and each tray has 24 compartments. That gives me room for up to 144 infantry models right there, more if I'm willing to double-up on compartments (which I do, since my army is largely unpainted). The top portions of each tacklebox has room for 4-6 tanks depending on size. I then I have a very long toolbox that can transport about 8 tanks and a variety of non-standard-infantry models like Sentinels and Ogryns. All of this is lined with custom-cut foam made for my own needs.

I did all of this before the army carrying cases became the big thing, and it was still significantly cheaper than buying those cases.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

I use army transport...chimeras fit on their sides in the 3" trays, and minus the turret, you can get 4-5 of them into a single tray. You can also get 2 russes into a 4" tray. I use the motor pool case, and it holds an entire 1750 mech guard force!
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast