Deavastator squad - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deavastator squad

Hey folks I have some question for everybody about deavastors. Just some quick info I run a drop pod/Vulkan list atm, also I am jumping up from the 1000 to 2000 point range so i have a bit of points to mess with. My current plan is to put them with my scout sniper squad with ML and bolter scouts with Heavy Bolter providing me with a fire support.

With that being said I am looking for a good weapons loadout for the Deavastators that compliments my other squads. From what i can slect for the heavy weapons I am thinking a 2 ML 2 lascannon or 2 plasma cannon 2 lascannon or a 4 ML set up for the squad. So any ideas would be helpfull.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 4 ML is good because its cheap, and can be used against either troops or vehicles. But personally, I like 2 Plasma cannons and 2 ML.

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

I think armor would better compliment your army but if you really want Devs, 4 MLs is the way to go. Good against every target and cheap. The range is also solid, you'd be surprised how big a difference 36-48" can be for a static hang back unit.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Aye, deffinately M-Launchers. They're cheap and the most tacticaly flexible. Plasma Cannons and Lascannons would be nice but they're just too expensive to be worth it.

I've got two 5 man Dev squads with 4 M-Launchers in my gunline army and they've always been useful.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Let me just pipe in here, at the start of 5th edition I was playing my games with a gunline army centered around 2-3 tactical and 2-3 devastator squads and though I haven't used them lately I found devastators to be the most costt effective when given either missile launchers as a small squad of 5 or a 10 man squad combat squaded with 2 plasma cannons in each squad. The missile launchers have multiple uses being able to be fired at virtually any target with relative effectiveness. The plasma cannons on the other hand could do wonders against MEQ armies, especially necrons and even put dents in hordes. If you are dead set on devastators these would be the ways to go although they can be topped by 2 land speeder typhoons for the missile launcher squad for a mere 30 extra points or a saving of 40 points from a 10 man squad with plasma cannons to two vindicators.
    Ask me about the Black and White Space Marine on the Black and White Bike!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

now dont shoot me down here but I would actually take a 10 man deve squad w/2 mm and 2 pc in a drop pod. They actually work well for me 1st turn drop down with most of the force, close enough for 12" on mm next turn and u dont have to worry about the ranges cause they are quite close to the enemy.
    2010 WOC MOSTER HORDE W 4/L 0/D 0
    2010 Dark Angel Deathwing W 2/L 0/D 0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    256 (x4)

I'd go with 4 x ML. They're great all-around and cheap. Of course, I've found 2 x ML and 2 x plasmacannon is nice if you've got the points.
    "Into the fires of battle, unto the anvil of war!"
    -This space for rent-
    Salamander project log

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Just built my first Devastator squad with the new plastics. Nice set, with eight heavy weapons to apply if you have the spare torsos and legs from other sets. They match up with the old metal heavy weapons perfectly and the multimelta is a cracking model, main reason i brought the set. I would advise building them all, because the next time GW reinvent the wheel, you can bet your four missile launcher devastator squad will no longer be the best option. Also worth remembering is the free heavy weapon upgrade for a ten man tactical squad is not just the missile launcher, but the heavy bolter and multi melta too.
    Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

194 (x7)

Personally I'd go for 2 PC/1 LC/1 ML, Plasma Cannons IMO are better than Missile Launchers and this way you've got anti-infantry and anti-tank in fairly equal measure. That's how I field them anyway, and it seems to work fairly well.

~ DiW
    Last edited by Acarna; May 15th, 2010 at 02:22.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

192 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Demon in White View Post
    Personally I'd go for 2 PC 1 LC 1 ML, Plasma Cannons IMO are better than Missile Launchers and this way you've got anti-infantry and anti-tank in fairly equal measure. That's how I field them anyway, and it seems to work fairly well.

~ DiW
    Doesn't sound like too bad of a set up to me. Versatile, you may not be getting the best of your weapons all the time, but at least you'll be using them. One thing I'm wondering about the set up though is if the lascannon is really worth it, the set up seems to be more effective against infantry to me (even if plasma cannons are S7) but your paying over the price of two marines for a slight increased ability to deal with tanks. A second missile launcher is more verstile and under half the points.
    Ask me about the Black and White Space Marine on the Black and White Bike!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast