The Adeptus Mechanicus - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Adeptus Mechanicus

Hey all, I'm posting here to ask for ideas about how to field a Imperial Guard army themed as a Adepetus Mechanicus force.

Some background information: The force will be a exploratory force seen as these are the most common form of mechanicum presence likely to be found on a battlefield (excluding a tech priest or tech marine attached to standard forces). A shamelessly borrowed definition for one of these forces is
    Here the Tech-Priests are in search of lost relics from the Dark Age of Technology, such as Standard Template Construct (STC) systems. In these missions they often encounter hostile forces (usually determined not to give up such items!), and thus they are accompanied by their own combat forces.
    Some organization information: Due to the requirements for speed and armament a armored(mech) list fits the theme, and I want to make this list as competitive as possible (so lucky me that mech guard is a very strong force in the current tournament scene). So why you ask, do I not just copy a leaf blower list? The answer is that I feel sitting still and alpha striking the enemy to death isnt consistent with a exploring force especially considering there not likely to bring large artillery peices with them.

So: What I humbly request from you my fellow posters is how I can field a competitive mech guard list that is mobile and contains no artillery? Is such a thing possible? Blood Angels mech is fast and has a lot of fire power, can that be mimicked here? Any thoughts, links, critism or help is appreciated!

Last edited by H3lljump3r; May 19th, 2010 at 05:33. Reason: Fixed spelling mistakes...
    Blood Angels
    High Elves [Under Construction]
    Chaos Warriors [Under Construction]

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x3)

No, in short you don't need to take artillery to have a competitive list.

Alot of people don't use it anyway.

But a fluffy army sometimes gets in the way of the list becoming competitive, watch out for that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I realize that fluffy could get in the way of competitiveness, but what Im really asking here is whether it is possible to play mech guard in a different way.Current army lists (with artillery or not) stand still for the first couple of turns and let their guns loose on the enemy.

What Im contemplating is if a mech guard list can be played in a different way; what are the benefits of a mech list that starts moving around the battle feild from turn one?
    Excluding air guard lists (3-9 valks/vendettas) which do have the fast vehicle rule, is it beneficial to move around the board while still firing? For example a Leman russ can move 6" and still fire its main weapon, so in this case leaving off side sponsons would fit its new purpose. These kind of tactics have been seen with Eldar players for years, and more recently mech Blood Angels. Maybe its just wishfull thinking of mine that guard could be played in this way, but it would certainly fit my theme.
    Blood Angels

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Skitarii - Lexicanum

This should give you a better view of what the Skitarii (Tech-Guard) have to offer.

Hypaspits- These guys are not normal Imperial Guardsmen, they have been enhanced in numerous ways including advanced targetting systems and often bionic parts and greater armour than normal Imperial Guard infantry.
    I'd use these guys Imperial Guard Veterans, they both have lasguns, are great shots and the carapace armour doctrine could help to show their bionic enhancements. The grenades could represent the power of these models against vehicles or even the Skitarri using grenades, they are better equiped than normal soldiers after all.

Sagatarii- These guys are the heavy weapon operators of the army.
    They can represent heavy weapon teams attached to normal Hypaspits units or squads by themselves. They could also be heavy weapon squads but taking these would mean infantry platoons which would not suit your fluff.

Ballisterai -These guys are the artillary units of Skitarii units. I knw you said you weren't a fan of them so lets move on.

Cataphractii This is the Adeptus Mechanicus armour. This includes all of the vehicles you want for your force, from the Chimera Transports to the Leman Russ Tanks
    Use them as the tanks from The Imperial Guard Codex, they're probobly built from the same STC's for the most part. There may be some new designs, one or two that your force is trying out and this should give you the option to do some more converting.

Praetorians, These are the elite of the Skitarii forces, in more current fluff they are similar to Obliteators while in past editions they were an elite unit somewhere between a Stormtrooper and a Space Marine. Some sources even mention them to be machines moving on tracks and arrying heavy weapons such as plasma cannons.

Depending on what type of Praedetorians you take you should consider what list you will be using first. These can be represented by just about anything, Stormtroopers, Sentinels, Grey Knights, Sisters of Battle... The list goes on. You could even make multiple different kinds of these units if you'd like some more variety in your force.

Good Luck.

The Emperor Protects
    These could be rep
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info kevin
    Ive already done a heap of research on the background of the mechanicus, now I'm trying to figure out how to field a competitive mech list which fits my theme that isnt a leaf blower list...
    Blood Angels

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Scout sentinels would fit the bill...maybe androidal/robotic centaurs as rough riders? That would make an awesome centerpiece to the army. What's a leafblower list?
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sentinels and Rough riders would be fun to play with, ill have to play test them but Im thinking I will need three individual valkyries simply because there so good, so there goes my fast attack slots.

I believe "leaf blower" basically means you blow the entire enemy army off the table in short succession, this relates to the current strong form of mech imperial guard that sits in a corner of the table and blasts the c*** out of the opposing army, which then has to deal with 2-3 valkyries with vets inside when they outflank(?) in following turns. (Warhammer 40k, Fantasy, Wargames & Miniatures News: Bell of Lost Souls: 40K Ard Boys Armylist "The Leafblower" if your interested). This tends to be a very stationary list that aims to simply destroy the opponent early game so they can then trundle the chimera's and valkyries onto empty objectives, and kill point missions are self explanatory... Im not a fan of simply buying the current "strong list" I would rather experiment hence this thread about a more mobile mech list.
    Blood Angels

Set Sail and Conquer! Cadaver Junkie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    301 (x7)

Skitarii provide a fantastic style of army - they provide much in the way of conversion opportunities. My first IG army was a skitarii build, got it to about 1500 points worth.

If you do go with skitarii, it's probably best to decide which avenue of conversion you want to go down first, before anything else. Making the troops more uniform in build would be a good thing - robes and stuff will help you immensly, check out the high elf range for help there as starters - but overall, you don't really have to go heavy on the conversions. Many people simply run slightly altered storm troopers as vets etc.

In contrast, I didn't go down the uniform style, so all of my infantry had bionic arms and legs etc... plus I ran priests (as lower ranking mechanicus dudes with eviscerators, converted techmarine power axes and empire priests worked well for me!), and techpriests with gun servitors. As a bonus, it was easy to use gun servitors as heavy weapon troops in my infantry squads too!

The higher the level of conversion, the longer it will take to get the army together (well, dur you say) - this makes it a good thing that you are going for chimeras, less troops to field. As for the chimeras, try blending space marine tank parts, for instance perhaps use marine turrets (I like the razorback ones), as well as hunterkiller missiles, cupolas etc... It makes them look much more techy without changing the basic profile of the chimeras.

I didn't go for mech infantry however - so I can't really comment game wise on that, beyond theory. But I'll assure you, mech infantry guard lists seem all the rage at the moment (leaf blower or not) so I'm sure its not hard to piece together a competitive list.
    "Pickles, the drummer, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)"

Also, you should google "garfield minus garfield". Awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back in the days when White Dwarf was a good read, and not just a huge advertising catalog with a few short articles, there was a three-part series on a narrative campaign. It was about the time of the Black Templars release, and featured a Genestealer-themed Tyranid army and a Skitarii-themed Guard army.

Every month they'd play games with a battle report, and add to their armies with awesome conversions. They were both amazingly cool forces with loads of character. The guy who did the Guard army, Bryan Cook, used heavily modified WFB Ogres as Praetorians, using the rules for Ogryns, which I thought was a pretty good way of representing them. If you can I'd recommend finding those articles, they were great inspiration. Also make sure you paint your guys with some dark crimson like he did- the traditional colour of the Mechanicum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If GW still sells them i can see the iron hands conversion kit comming in handy for bionics

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast