Sternguard? do you use them and if so how? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sternguard? do you use them and if so how?

As the title states, my question is does anyone use sternguard and how, or do you use other better elites choices?? Im running Pedro Kantor as my HQ so they are scoring. Im thinking of running a 5 man squad with combi meltas in drop pod coming down and killing some juicy targets, or is this tactic folly and instead get something else??

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Wher dat naked blue chik? Jaffar_Hasad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    260 (x6)

You basically stated the primary tactic of theirs. Combi-meltas drop podding seems to be quite popular, and if it didn't work people wouldn't continue to do it.
    Sleeping, not dead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Removed by the moderators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

The best delivery method is drop pods since it allows them to get to an objective quickly, guarantees one turn of shooting (usually against a tank) and can potentially be used to keep them in reserve until the second or third turn.

My friend routinely turns games around in the third turn by dropping a Pedro/Sternguard squad onto an objective far from my scoring units, which forces me to backtrack to contest the point and prevent a draw.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't use them not because they arn't anygood but for my style of play they arn't anygood :p

Your use for them is tempting but my army is serverly lacking in bodies as is and including another 5 man kp is not the answer for me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You really cant go wrong with a drop pod with Sternguard. They are a great utility unit, with the ability to fill with cheap combi-melta they can take out tank, infantry, or MCs. Be aggressive with them and remember to go big or go home. They need a good oportunity to kill something as soon as they appear, as they will be quickly whittled away by your opponent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another question, should all of them have combi meltas or like only a select few

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x3)

Given the relatively small difference in price between 2 guys taking a combi-melta and all 5, I'd spend the points and go for all 5. When being used as a LR-popping suicide unit, it doesn't hurt to splurge and spend the extra 15pts to make sure it dies.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I've just assembled my first ten man sternguard squad, but i gave them two meltaguns and a power fisted sergeant, i just dont like the idea of a one shot weapon and the meltagun is the same price as the combi melta. They hav'nt seen action yet but i cant see a serious downside.
    Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.

Wher dat naked blue chik? Jaffar_Hasad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    260 (x6)

The downside is the lack of range and your limited variety of ammunition. Sternguard are great in that their bolters have so many options to choose from, be it MEQ killing, cover busting, or.. long range'edness(?). Once you take the melta your marine is forced to use a single fire weapon against larger squads of enemies.

On the other hand you have a second chance to shoot at tanks. Decisions decisions.
    Sleeping, not dead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Removed by the moderators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by praxis View Post
    I've just assembled my first ten man sternguard squad, but i gave them two meltaguns and a power fisted sergeant, i just dont like the idea of a one shot weapon and the meltagun is the same price as the combi melta. They hav'nt seen action yet but i cant see a serious downside.
    The deciding factor against the meltaguns is the loss of special ammunition. It's a balance, but some people prefer the extra boltgun shots over the meltagun.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast