GK fluff from Forgeworld. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GK fluff from Forgeworld.

So im sure this has been around for ages, but i never really see anyone mention it and still see some people debate on our bad ass boys in silver. I was reading Imperial Armour Volume 2 last night and came across some interesting fluff. Now I know Forge World isnt exactly GW cannon. And sometimes the two do contradict each other, but nonetheless, i feel you fellow brothers of the ordo malleus should know about this. Ill let you read it in its entirety before I put my thoughts in there. I will however, Bold the parts I think are important.

"Grey Knight Dreadnoughts are a living connection to the Chapters long history. These ancient artifacts are more than just war machines, they are the embodiment of the Chapters past. Its gloriuous victorys, great deeds, slain heroes, unquestionably loyalty, and proven honour. They are a potent symbol of all that the Chapter is and all it stands for. They help provide the Grey Knights Chapter with a legendary past, which it's current battle-brothers must strive to emulate. "
    "As such, each Dreadnought is precious, worthy of the utmost respect and venerated for a wealth of experience and wise council it can offer to the bretheren of today. In a dreadnought the spirits of the chapter ancestors live on, the help guide the chapter as well as fight upon the battlefield. Each of the ten companies has its own dreadnoughts. They are all former heroes of the company whose mortal wounds could not be healed, but who could be saved by internment into dreadnought armour. They are usually grand masters or brother captains, or in special cases, lower ranks who have shown exceptional courage and heroism in battle. Only the most worthy ever become a dreadnought, it is seen as a great honour, perhaps the greatest the chapter can bestow. It is customary that a mortally wounded grey knight must give his personal consent before becoming a dreadnought. Many mortally wouneded brothers prefer to rest with the chapters heroes in the crypts below the fortress monastary of Titan, where his name will be engraved on his tomb alongside other great names, a fitting end for a lifetime fo service."

"Legend has it that when Grand Master Orias lay in the Apothecary following his batle with the daemon prince Herperitus, tended by the Chief Apothecary and his servomeds, the entire chapter awaited his death. All ten Brother-Captains stood watch over him awaiting any last word from Orias, before his soul passed into the Emperor's care. For three days and nights they waited, and Orias, his body a shattered chell, never moved. Surely he must be dead! But no, with the last of his strength, he gave a single nod of his head. The assembled Captains quickly debated and agreed, Orias' single motion must have been a nod of consent, with his last strength he had agreed to continue his service as a dreadnought. Immediately a sarcophagus was prepared and the ritual of internment began."
    So, like i said, not 100% GW cannon but it gives some nice insight to the working of how the GK are.

Point 1: Ten Companies of Grey Knights? Does this mean they organize themselves like regular astartes chapters, but just opererate differently? This specifically makes the GK Chapter look like a regular Astartes Chapter. Personally I think that the FW person writing had a basic idea of what GKs are and just applied what he knew of regular marine chapters to this entry.

Point 2:These two statements seem contradictory to me. Its the greatest honor you can recieve, but Frank the Grey Knight is like "na, ill pass thanks". Idk what to think of this part.

Point 3:Again, a reference to a regular Astartes Chapter with 10 "Captains" At least the writer deigned to call them Brother-Captains.

Point 4:Whohoo! Democracy still reigns supreme in the dark future of the 41st milennium.

Imperial Armour Volume 2 was written by Warwick Kinrade and Tony Cottrell.

All in all, these are my own personal opinions and i welcome you to make your own. I want to hear what we all think about this stuff. How do you think the writers did giving depth to our beloved chapter?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems every time we turn around these days you bump into some GWS or Forgeworld staff member with absolutely no understanding or knowledge of GK's, making rediculously non-canon lore and stories.
    I don't know whats worse, those who think GK are just silver space marines, or those who seem to have enough knowledge to know better, but try and just make them look like normal Space Marines because they lack the skills to do the job properly.

I mean to claim that there are 10 companies, and that the leaders of each where present for one GM's death is such a typical case of bad fantasy/sci-fi writing. I mean what was it the daemon holidays when they don't venture out into the pyshical universe to wreak havoc, meaning all the GK where back at base having a beer?
    Everything you quote just smacks on ignorance of GK lore, and a total disregard for doing anything properly.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x6)

i agree and disagree.

I can see the choice to become a Dreadnaught as a choice because it really is the ultimate sacrifice for a Grey Knight. When a Grey Knight dies, they want nothing less then to be laid to rest with their fallen brothers an join their soul with the Emperor and fight at his side, and to become a Dreadnaught is to forego that and instead fight for those who still live. Is it democracy? No. It is a choice. If the Grey Knight choses to become a Dreadnaught, it is because there is still something so horrible out there that he must not only sacrifice his rite to be buried with his brothers, but also his duty to fight at the Emperor's side in order to destroy it.
    40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0
    Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight (Absylonia)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The one thing thats definately mentioned often is how rare it is for a GK to become a Dread, with mentions most do not want to. This much is definately pretty canon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the democracy part was just about the fact that all 10 cap's debated on what his singular nod meant. thanks for the input guys, look forward to the new dex!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

That is oligarchy at least and a republic at most. But any representative government is not a democracy.
    It would be a democracy if every member of Grey Knights would vote on every decision made by the chapter.

About all Brother-Captains being at the same place, it does not implicitly state that they were there in person, some could be using the nifty hologram tech from star wars, couple guys could be on skype, its cheaper than astropaths if you use it for long distance, international, and cross-segmentum.
    One letdown is that they state that there are 10 companies and 10 brother captains, although it does not state that each company has number restriction, but one may infer it from SM fluff.
    Last edited by WhiteRussian; May 24th, 2010 at 15:47. Reason: Assembly possibilities.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Stood watch' is rather physical terminology.
    Lets not beat around the bush, there is a very bare amount of canon fluff behind that writing, which has then been tainted by Space Marine fluff.
    Someone should take the incinerator to those authors.
    Or the tried and true method of finding a daemon possessed individual, stake them through the heart with a Bolter-Stake Crossbow, and if they die then the emporer finds them tainted and wanting, and if they live they are daemon possessed.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x6)

I fear the new codex will tainted with SM fluffcrap.
    40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0
    Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight (Absylonia)

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by kriswithak View Post
    The one thing thats definately mentioned often is how rare it is for a GK to become a Dread
    Can't even get them in the daemonhunter's codex, only repainted SM dreads (check the crew entry) :p

Forgeworld fluff is purely intended to sell forgeworld products though - case in point their exorcist tank fluff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is a dreadnought a symbol of what this chapter stands for!?!?!

If anything is a symbol it would be the daemon hammer!

And the dreadnought spirit guides the chapter! wtf? (sorry)

didnt know dreads had spirits- wait sorry they have the spirit of the machine, right? gald to know the machine spirit hates daemons too!

i hardly believe greyknights simply say .... ok, ill be a dreadnought. to me the rarity of one becoming a dreadnought stems from the rarity of a GreyKnight actually being wounded that badly but still alive. They can re heal limbs and entire body organs so a injury inwhich such medical marvels cannot cure the SM is probably rare enough already, to couple that with the ability to get them into a dreadnought before they die and to have their consent first only makes it less likely that a GreyKnight becomes a Dreadnought. The final block is that the greyknight has to overcome his large desire to die and join the emperor- that is the reason they dont fear death is it not? the promise of bliss with the emperor afterwards? I mean what would you do when given the choice go to paradise or fight on hell?

anyways good info, and sorry for the rant.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast