Seldomly used units. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seldomly used units.

Hi all,
    In every codex there are great wonderful super splediferous OMFGTHATBREAKSTHEGAME units. And then there are some stinkers. However there are some units that are rarely used that really aren't that bad. Just wanting to get some discussion out there.

Thunderfire Cannons: 4 small templates per turn? yes please! Multiple shots with varying strength, ap, and effects? Hells yea! Since I've been playing again I haven't seen anyone beside myself playing these. However in certain games they are incredibly effective. Yes of course against massed hordes but also against light armor. certainly has the ability to take out a rhino or two. Another benefit of them is that you get a tech marine to bolster defences on a ruin/building giving you a better cover save, which helps the marine himself if you stick the thunderfire in there, as well as the randomizing of the hits. if they destroy the cannon you have one pissed off tech marine charging forward who can do pretty well himself in combat.

2. Whirlwind: Whenever I pull these out of the case I get one of two reactions. "Oh crap" from horde army players or incredulous laughs from others. However these little gems are pretty good. large template, indirect fire. Sure you don't get to deduct your BS from the scatter on indirect, buty hey your tank isn't out there to be shot either. 2 different types of ammo. 1 stronger with a lower ap, one with lower strength and a higher ap that ignores cover. Very long range so those lootas hideing in cover? I can reach out and touch them, those ork boyz with the kustom fore field covering them? They are gonna take a casualty or two.

I know there will be comments about the "metagame" and these units are not "competative." But let us keep in mind one thing. This is a game. A game is primarily to be played for fun. If you are always bringing power lists with the most overpowered obnoxious units that everyone is running in all their armies, then your opponent may not have as much fun as you are grinding them mercilessly into the floor.

In the Castle of Pain on a Mountain of Skulls I sat on a Throne of Blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of Evil!

- Vigo the Carpathian

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I've never seen a scout biker unit. Mind , saying that the one i have is still on the sprue, but i want a squad.
    Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

I've been thinking about fielding scout bikers for a little while now, actually. Relentless, rapid firing grenade launchers have all kinds of potential against hordes and light armour. Plus locator beacons, for if you feel the urge to deepstrike anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    98 (x1)

A lot of players in my area use SM's and I don't think I've every seen a squad of Vanguard used....Actually I lie i've seen it once by a 10 year old that had just bought the box set. I've been thinking about a squad of 10 Vanguard, no jump packs, to go with Vulkan and my LRR but havn't pointed this out yet so I don't know what it's going to come to with upgrades and all...Which springs the question, does anyone actually use Vanguard with jump packs? (Errr...that isn't playing Blood Angels)
    Check out Double Edged Painting blog for more information on commissions and work in progress

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

I use them occasionally, actually. They're a little risky normally, but if you're running a pod list, then you can use the pod locator beacons to bring them down safely, and hurt something.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Scout bikers can actually be a great unit, just go for n outflanking budget setup.

3 bikes cluser mines 2 normal 1 sarg power fist

It's 105 points so it's not too bad if they all die horribly or outflank on the wrong edge. They can turbo boost for a 3+ cover, their powerfist can hit units your opponent thought were safe and the cluster mins can be used in a variety of ways. One of my favorites was in terrain with some camo cloak scout and an objective. Your scouts arent moving, have a nice cover save and any opponent that charges in gets a nice little surprise.

The Emperor Protects
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To watchwood: I saw Vanguard used by a player on monday. It was his first time using them in a team game. We opted to deep strike and combat squad them and 5 with 4 power weapons (all my partners extra points cuz we made lists on the spot) came down early and wiped out 5 crisis suits with shield drones which was crucial. They got fire warriored to death, but if we had kept it a squad of 10 then 5 would have survived and they could have charged the units of fire warriors if they had gotten out to rapid fire. Hope that helps, just an example of how that element of surprise can be game changing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've used Vanguard in the past. 2 5 man squads kitted exactly as they come in the boxed set. I liked the idea but they always seemed to die too easily and be too expensive. I think if used properly they could be a great unit, but when most of my enemies are running huge squads of angry orkses 5 dudes running in screaming just is sad lol
    In the Castle of Pain on a Mountain of Skulls I sat on a Throne of Blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of Evil!

- Vigo the Carpathian

Toy Soldier Aficionado Wolf Guard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 (x2)

I wish I saw more Vanguard used. It is a cool idea for a unit, but they are on the pricey side of things. Another unit I would like to see is Captain Cato Sicarious. I have never seen him run, in fact, I don't think I've ever seen one in reality out of the blister.
    The Wolf time is upon us!
    Rep for the Rep God! Positive for the Positive Throne!
    Armies: Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Emperors Children, Necrons, Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

78 (x3)

Vanguard are awesome if you deep strike them in assault range of an elite unit and arm them all with power swords.

The main problems are the cost, and the fact that when the enemy shoots at them they are as likely to survive as a normal SM squad.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast