6 manticores, how to counter - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

6 manticores, how to counter

So there's a doubles tournament coming up and two of the guys are building a 6 manticore list, D3 strength 10 shots especially 6 of them is nasty! Now then my partner and i are doing double guard as well, I'm playing 5 valkyries (2 being vendettas) and he's going to play psyker battle squads in chimeras with a culexus asassin hiding behind for an assault 22 strength 5 AP 2 gun; our own nastiness but easy to counter.

Now then despite the fact that 6 manticores will probably just earn them the "golden turd" (lowest army comp) award. I'd like to know how you, as another guard player, would counter this set up.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x3)

Autocannons
    TL Lascannons
    Meltas
    Possibly demolishers.

Come on... your a guard player, you should know this stuff already

So, hydras/platoons, vendettas, chimelta vets.
    Last edited by Triorchin; June 6th, 2010 at 21:21.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In addition to the above post

-deepstriking 5-man Storm trooper squads with meltaguns, plasmaguns will probably even do against the Manticores armor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As said before, lascannons and chimeltas.
    Keep your lascannons close to your company command squad, so you can make use of the twin-linked order.

Try using some heavily armed sentinels, and spread out your men so they can't take advantage of those blasts they're laying down, and keep your men out of their line of sight so they have to use the minimum range.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

5 valks, 2 PBS's and a culexus? Sounds like you'll be competing against him for lowest comp as well. Why not do double-nids and take 12-18 hive guards. Lol. That should scare the crap out of any mech list.

Just make sure you take astropaths, squads of 5x stormies w/meltas and some manticores of your own. I'd drop the culexus...it's too much of a 1-trick pony.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

Since my vets always have Demolitions anyway, if I got first turn, that guy would find a bunch of angry veterans with meltaguns on his doorstep before his turn even began.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Just get in close, which is what you'd probably do anyway. It's rather hard to hide 6 Manticores from a decent outflanking and those massive blasts can do serious friendly fire.

Something else is to not bunch up your units, particularly if you have a mechanized list. If you spread out then those massive volleys still aren't likely to hit more than 1 or 2 units. Smoke launchers on transports can then cancel half of the damage, and even when the penetrations get through it's a 1 in 3 chance of actually losing the Rhino or Chimera. Note also that your opponent can only attack 3 targets at a time with those 6 Manticores--pincer strategies should be generally effective.

Unless you are footslogging or have no deepstrike/infiltrate/outflank deployment options then I expect it won't be too hard of a list. Manticores are great for opening barrages but they tend to be ineffective in the late game.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Instead of running just 2 of your skimmers as Vendettas run them all as Vendettas with door gunners. You still will get plenty of firepower and with 5 of them you should be able to destroy three of the manticores of the bat. Also if you get first turn scout move your vendettas as close as possible to the manticores and have some melta vets pop out and well the rest is history. The manticore spam isnt hard to beat especially if you get inside the 24 inch limit for them to shoot. Good luck mate, cheers!
    Real players go Guard....Real Men go Airborne!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x5)

Here's your solution, and it doesn't tactically unbalance you versus other opponents:

1) Take an Astropath!!!

2) Take 3 Vendettas and 3 5-man Stormtrooper squads with meltas in Chimeras.

If you go first:

Swap Melta Vets into the Vendettas at deployment and put your Stormtrooper Chimeras on your deployment line (in the center, so he can't deny-flank on you). Then scout both forward until you're 12" from his line. On turn one, you'll move the vendettas forward 10" or so and drop off the meltas in his face. Ditto with the Stormtroopers. That will give you 15 meltaguns within 6" of anything on his line, plus the lascannons from your Vendettas. This alpha-strike should kill every Manticore before they ever get to fire.

If you go second:

Outflank the Stormies in their Chimeras or deep-strike them and use their Chimeras for screening your main body. You can also outflank or deep-strike the Vendettas, depending on how he deploys. You can leave the rest of your army in reserve to keep them safe while the Stormies and Vendettas do their job.

And finally...

Enjoy the look on his face when you do this.
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Got to agree with others, Reserve everything. Pack a ton of units to kill or at least Shake the Manticores in one turn. Storm Troopers, Vendettas, Veterans, anything that can Outflank or Deep Strike. Once you have them under control, well they're down about 1000 points so.....
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast