Stormraven Gunships - too popular? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Stormraven Gunships - too popular?

Just looking for some opinions on the Stormraven Gunship.

It seems to me that the Stormraven is a very popular choice here on LO, and I was mostly wondering why that is. Is it just because it's new? Is it because it's the best choice? Is it, perhaps, a combination of both?

Is the Stormraven a "must have" in a Blood Angels (or counts-as) army now, and if so, do you guys see that changing anytime soon?

Discuss.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to clarify. Is the stormraven similar to the Imperial guards Valkyrie? Does it carry troops or what kind of strength guns does it hold. I know u cant say specifics but is it horde or armour fighter.
    I also heard there is no model for it yet?
    "Never forget that your weapon was made by the lowest bidder."

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Cultiststeve View Post
    Just to clarify. Is the stormraven similar to the Imperial guards Valkyrie? Does it carry troops or what kind of strength guns does it hold. I know u cant say specifics but is it horde or armour fighter.
    I also heard there is no model for it yet?
    There is currently no model. You can equip it however you'd like, to fight armour, infantry, or both; it is also a troop transport and in addition may carry a Dreadnought. It's not too terribly priced, either, for all that!
    Last edited by Lost Nemesis; June 8th, 2010 at 19:16.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

If you can set up an army list that makes maximum use of it's abilities, then it is pretty effective. The problem is that it has such a high base cost that's it's very difficult to do. Effectively, it's got the cost of a land raider, more mobility, but far less durability. I personally have a hard time justifying such a unit in my army lists.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Stormravens sound like a lovely idea, and some of the scratch built versions out there are stunning, but i'd rather a Thunderhawk model however unlikely that is. For those who hav'nt seen one yet, here's a pic.

Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    235 (x6)

If by "popular" you mean "awesome", then yeah

Disregarding the hub-bub over wether PotMS allows you to shoot after moving Flat Out, the very fact that a Fast vehicle has PotMS in the first place is pretty freakin' cool. That's 12" of movement and 2 weapons at 2 different targets, or 6" of movement and fire everything at whoever you like; which, given the fact that the thing has 4 Bloodstrike missiles before you start adding on free Lascannons and Multimeltas, is pretty sweet.

Toy Soldier Aficionado Wolf Guard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

I do like the rules and some of the conversions I have seen for this model. I do think it is terribly over priced and as such is rarely seen in any game outside of 'Ard Boyz.
    The Wolf time is upon us!
    Rep for the Rep God! Positive for the Positive Throne!
    Armies: Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Emperors Children, Necrons, Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

I think the Stormraven is a "must-have" only for some specific lists. Particulary anything gearing towards Death Company or jump-pack units in general.

The BA have plenty of other mechanized variants that seem quite solid where the Stormraven is not totally compatible.

All-in-all I don't think it's the end-all-be-all that the Valk/Vend is for IG. Mainly because they're roughly twice the cost. They're just much more difficult to work into lists and you can abuse them by spamming them.

Very cool though. I'll likely nab one whenever they make a kit. Until then I can play without

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me the lists that max out vindicators and Ball Preds scare me quite a bit more. While the Storm Raven is full of all kinds of awesome, I think the points are better spent in other places.
    For Michigan Apoc news and meetups.. www.mi40k.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    73 (x3)

For me its just another way of expressing the style of my army.
    I like a mix in my army and although I try & build a balanced / competitive list, it's also made of "fun" units.

I have mine full of 5 c/c terms, priest and a furioso in my 2k pt list and it works well.
    It doesn't get much in the way of cover so generally hangs back a turn using that 72" range missiles and then charges with the rest of my fast army for some blood lusting close combat goodness.

Another point, I can move 12"s and fire a lascannon, multi-melta and hurricane bolters (i had them) being that its a fast skimmer with a machine spirit.

Also being that I've just created one and am currently painting, I will make sure its in most lists D:! see here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast