1750 Imperial Guard (with lots of DK allies) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1750 Imperial Guard (with lots of DK allies)

Hi feedback would be great on this list.

I have all these models, just need to paint the GKs... my goal is to create an army for tournaments - but one that isn't too gamey or spamey (i.e. I don't want vet spam, it's just boring) but is still relatively competitive and fun with a theme.

So here's the list:

HQ

Primaris Psyker

Elite

Psyker Battle Squad
    60 Extra Psyker +1
    10 Chimera

Grey Knight Terminators

1x Brother-Captain
    61 4x Terminators

Troops

Infantry Platoon

PCS

Squad 1
    50 Flamer
    5 Squad 2
    50 Flamer
    5 Commissar

Veterans
    70 Metaguns
    30 Chimera

Grey Knight Squad

Justicar
    50 6 Knights

Grey Knight Squad

Justicar
    50 6 Knights

Fast Attack

Vendetta

Valkyrie
    100 MRL

Valkyrie
    100 MRL

Heavy Support

Leman Russ Demolisher

I've got 25 points to spare on either autocannons, grenade launchers, incinerators, or maybe upgrades for the GKs.

The idea will be for the terminators, psykers (in the chim), vets (in the chim), mobbed up platoon (cannon fodder!) with the demolisher leading giving the chimeras cover form a fire base that moves forward while the vendetta sits back and hopefully pops a tank. The valkyries loaded with 2 GK squads scout move and attack from a flank.

Opinions and thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

My main opinion....

....is this should be in the army list section.

....and edit out your point costs for items. Limit it to the total cost of a squad. You're new, so you don't know this, but it'll get you in very deep trouble.

For an actual critique:
    Since I'm at work, I'll have to make this quick.

After looking over your list, you don't have anything absolutely terrifying. You've got a single demolisher and a Vendetta. Valkryies can put the hurt, but they're not overly scary. Your Vendetta will be shot down first turn your opponent gets the chance.

It's a lot of points of not a lot.

You've got a platoon, with flamers? Why? Give these guys autocannons and grenade launchers. You're taking Grey Knight Terminators, but no Incinerator or Psycannon? Even the PAGKs should have psycannons maxed out. They're S6 shots of ooey goodness. Make use of it! (Plus, it's much cheaper than the purgeton squad you can't get).

As a disclamer: I have no problem running GK allies in my IG list (in fact, it's part of my paticular Regiments fluff), but lot of people will tell you other wise. I'm also glad to see you did NOT bring an inquitor. It makes opponents shudder when I say I run DH allies. I have to calm them when I say I'm not running an inquisitor (not that I can't, but because I don't want to).

Overall, not a lot of anti-tank, lots of points. At 1750, you're going to be beaten by average armour (let alone mech spam)
    Last edited by cKerensky; June 18th, 2010 at 17:09.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overall... I see nothing to worry about. 1 Demolisher? I think you should put more points into the imperial guard and less into the grey knights. Keep the terminators and drop the regular GK, that's free up more points for more basic infantry/vehicles/anti armor. Like cKerensky said, you'll get overrun by a list containing at least 3-4 vehicles probably. You go against marines, how will you deal with the land raiders? You could get really lucky, but you're guard and rely on numbers haha

Good Luck!

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Lots of shiny toys, but not a lot that will win you games. It looks to me like you want to play GK, but can't resist pieplates and skimmers...

/edit/

Here's what I mean:

PBS is sexy, but fragile. It won't take much to blow up the chimera and slaughter the meat popsicles inside.

GKs are overpriced marines.

GKTs hit hard in assault, but you've got to get them there first, and anything that kills a (much cheaper) generic terminator kills GKTs just as easily.

Vendettas only work if you bring so many that I can't kill enough of them before those lascannons do their damage. One is never enough.

It looks like you plan to mob up the two line squads in the platoon under the commie for an ad-hoc mob of unbreakable conscripts...that sadly doesn't work any more unless you take the HQ-level commie, and even then, you want him pushing 50 guardsmen in front of himself, since he'll otherwise automatically end up in melee combat personally and quickly get squished when every available attack is directed his way. I used the tactic with the old IG dex (50 conscripts with 5 flamers and a commie), and it was a beautiful thing...fried an entire mob of gaunts before bringing down a flyrant under the weight of numbers (5s to hit, 6s to wound, and he got his 3+ save, IIRC). That sort of thing is nearly impossible now.

Demolisher is similar to vendetta...you're a little safer taking just one than you are with the skimmer, but I'd take two anyway, or you won't be puttin the fear on anyone.
    Last edited by Marnepup; June 21st, 2010 at 21:38.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

+ Reply to Thread