Drop Pod Assault - Wolves, Angels or Ravens? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which Codex would you use for this army?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Space Marines (w/ Kayvaan Shrike)

7 21.21%
  • Blood Angels

11 33.33%
  • Space Wolves

15 45.45%
+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Drop Pod Assault - Wolves, Angels or Ravens?

Okay, lets think of building an army which was something along the following lines:

Captain (or Kayvaan Shrike)
    2 Scout Squads
    2 Tactical Squads w/drop pods
    2 Assault Squads w/jump packs

Which codex would you use for this army?

They all seem to have their own good sides:

Space Marines: With Kayvaan Shrike one assault squad could Infiltrate close and everyone would be Fleet

Blood Angels: Assault squads could use Descent of Angels to Deep Strike in and scouts could actually set up a locator beacon for the drop pods... And all units would be scoring.

Space Wolves: Skyclaws are not same as Assault Squads but they come near... and have Counter Attack and Berserk Charge. Wolf Scouts are killier and can outflank better than Marine Scouts.

Last edited by Polaria; June 28th, 2010 at 21:44.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hmmm i would go with space wolves because their codex is packed full of CC fun and with +2 attacks on the charge with skyclaws i would say they're gonna make minced meat of most other CC based armies and then counter attack adds a bit of defensive power if you get assaulted.

Also the rune priests are perfect for denying opposing armies from using psychic powers and living lightning is great for anti eldar. I prefer the Wolf lord over captain because of the exchange of the 4+ invun for +1 attack and you can still pay for the 4+ invun if you want anyway.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

Honestly dude, there's good arguements going in all 3 directions. I'd say it's as much a matter of personal preference as anything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted Blood Angels. All troops and locater beacons are fun. Maybe throw in attack bikes with multi-meltas and a devestator squad to hep with vehicles and such and you've got a well rounded CC list with SPEED! That leaves about 200 points for a HQ even if you've loaded everything out pretty heavily. Good luck on your adventure!

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Polaria View Post
    Okay, lets think of building an army which was something along the following lines:

Captain (or Kayvaan Shrike)
    2 Scout Squads
    2 Tactical Squads w/drop pods
    2 Assault Squads w/jump packs

Which codex would you use for this army?

They all seem to have their own good sides:

Space Marines: With Kayvaan Shrike one assault squad could Infiltrate close and everyone would be Fleet

Blood Angels: Assault squads could use Descent of Angels to Deep Strike in and scouts could actually set up a locator beacon for the drop pods... And all units would be scoring.

Space Wolves: Skyclaws are not same as Assault Squads but they come near... and have Counter Attack and Berserk Charge. Wolf Scouts are killier and can outflank better than Marine Scouts.
    If you're going with a Drop Pod list, go all Drop Pod. It will be more effective in the long run. Shrike will give you very minimal benefits. What's the point of Fleet if you can deploy right next to the enemy anyway? You will be spending just under 200 points for an ability you'll never use.

I would say Blood Angels and Space Wolves are the best two contenders for Drop Pod heavy armies, but they work differently. BA are more offensive, while SW are more defensive (Furious Charge vs Counter Attack). Seeing as deploying in a Drop Pod means you will rarely be able to assault first, Space Wolves seem the better option as they are more able to receive the charge.

There's also something to be said about 4 x Rune Priests with 4 x Squads of Grey Hunters (2 x Melta, 1 x PF) in Drop Pods. Take another 3 x Drop Pods from somewhere else and you can drop all four on the first turn, zapping anything nearby with Living Lightning/Jaws.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

@Ravendove - Long Fangs. 3 squads of them are common anyways amoung Wolf players, so starting with the Fangs on the table and dropping some empty pods later is a perfectly viable idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

I agree with Ravendove. Your list as it is isn't a drop pod army, its just a marine list that has a couple pods in it. The goal of drop pod armies is to get a big alpha strike, which means getting as many units in drop pods as possible.

If you decide to make an actual full drop pod list then my vote goes for Space Wolves.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

+ Reply to Thread