Baal preds - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baal preds

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Baal preds

So I picked up a couple of these bad boys and now I'm stuck on how to outfit them, I chose heavy Bolter sponsons which I magnitized but I can't decide if it's better to run a flamestorm cannon or assault cannon.

I can see the potential power of the template but the assault cannon seems like a good choice to. Help?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x5)

If all you want is the assault cannon, take Razorbacks. Same weapon, same armor, can carry troops, and is much cheaper.

OTOH, the Flamestorm cannon adds something that you can't get in the rest of your choices. So I'd go with that.
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SandWyrm View Post
    If all you want is the assault cannon, take Razorbacks. Same weapon, same armor, can carry troops, and is much cheaper.
    Razorbacks are 11/11/10 and the Pred is 13/11/10

I always take my Baal Preds with the Flamestorm and H.Flamer sponsons, they work well against horde and they are great at taking out marines and more elite troops through sheer number of wounds.
    "Mount up, grab your enchanted hitty thing and get in there." -40kenthusiast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

flamestorm cannons are basically the standerd ball pred now from all the BA players i see. The reason for taking it is because it is perfect for taking down space marines or heavy infantry which is why it is best combined with the 18" movements the BA can take advantage of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

The flamestorm cannon is very effective against 3+ save armies, especially against players who don't think to spread their units out. But it's also very short-ranged, making it not very versatile - you have to be very close to the enemy to fire, and positioned properly in order to get the best shot.

The assault cannon, by contrast, has a much longer range, can threaten vehicles if it gets a crack at the side armour, and lets your Baal skirmish by zooming around and shooting more distant targets. This is useful for keeping it away from melee anti-vehicle weapons and meltaguns. I generally prefer it. If I knew I was facing Space Marines or Necrons, I'd take a flamestorm, but I generally avoid that kind of tailoring.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    190 (x3)

Hey

I am no Blood Angels player, (I took the path of the Wolf), but there was something that is bothering me that I cannot quite seem to understand?

Maybe it is the way that I have seen it modelled, or maybe they had made it wrong, however I saw the other day at my local GW a Baal Predator that a had a Flamestorm Cannon. I was allowed to inspect it more closely, and I found that the FC nozzle was not extending over the front hull of the vehicle. I know that a Flamestorm Cannon uses a Template, from my experience with Wolves, and so I placed the template, following the rules for doing so, with the tip touching the front tip of the nozzle.

And I was perplexed! The template was covering about maybe 10mm of the Predator. OK, I said, trying to figure out what the hell was happening. I then moved the FC around to the side, and then placed the template on the nozzle again, but this time it was not touching the hull in any way.

Then I realised that in no way can you intentionally shoot your own models, and in the case of the FC being at the front of the Pred, you are.

So my question is, can the Baal Predator shoot forwards???

I do not know if it was a modelling issue, but something was not quite right here. If this is true, then the only way you would be able to shoot anything of interest is if you turn the vehicle to its side, with the FC out to the left of right, exposing a weaker side of the Pred and then shoot. This allows the enemy to avoid the Front Armor of 13 altogether, and instead hit the softer Armor 11 sides.

Help me out here, before I have a mental breakdo... too late.

Good Hunting.
    Light a fire for a man, and he will be warm for a night. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Now w/ English voice-over LastDinosaur's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

It's the same problem people have faced whenever they shoot flamers from fire points.

We always housed it to ignore the vehicle firing/from which you are firing template weapons, smoothens everything out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by SandWyrm View Post

OTOH, the Flamestorm cannon adds something that you can't get in the rest of your choices. So I'd go with that.
    As was mentioned, the Baal actually is better armored than a Razorback on the front-facing. It can also take sponson weapons unlike a Razorback for more concentrated dakka. Additionally it has the Scout USR, which makes it incredibly more mobile than a Razorback.

Razorbacks are excellent, don't get me wrong, but there are definitely reasons to take an Assault Cannon-equipped Baal with you. In particular, my main opponents are typically Nids. A TL-AC is gonna hurt them just fine, give me better chances at wounding MCs, and allows me the mobility to stay out of Assault range easier than if I had to use Template weapons. Not to mention Scout lets me use that fast move to hurt deployment of his Infiltrators quite nicely or to just generally spread my forces so he can't charge everything directly across the board FTW.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I always wanted a Baal assault cannon version for my codex DIY chapter, they look ace apart from having a nice weapon loadout. I'd much rather the range than the template.
    Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How about a flamestorm cannon with heavy bolters? It offers you ranged weapons that go further then the assault cannon and the stronger of both available templates, in a sence you get the best of both worlds!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast