Looking to expand my BA army - Suggestions? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking to expand my BA army - Suggestions?

I am currently looking to expand my BA army. I only have the models supplied in the AoBR set (10 tactical marines, 1 commander, 5 termies and a dread).

I like the look of the Sang Guard, but after reading a few threads here I am starting to question their effectiveness, making me lean perhaps more towards the Death Company.

With the knowledge that my main opponents are Orks and Tyranids players, what would be the next appropriate investment to make?

Thanks in advance,

Alandriakh

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

Start with another troop choice of some sort so that you can field a legal list, and work from there. Assault Squads and Death Company are both solid picks for Blood Angels. You should also look at a rhino/razerback for the existing tactical squad.

Given that you'll be facing a lot of orks and 'nids, you'll want to invest heavily in anti-horde options. Whirlwinds are nearly ideal for croud control, and Typhoon speeders do quite well too. (Typhoons are also solid anti-transport and anti-MC choices, which makes them a good pick for most armies)

Practically speaking, I suggest expanding your list just enough to be legal, and then playing a couple small games so that you get a good feel for what you need to have in your army. You can expand from there based on how the playtesting turns out.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x3)

Death company will really be able to do some damage to both nids and orcs, though you have to give them a transport and it is rarely advised to give them jump packs. A second troops choice will allow you to field a legal lists.

10 man DC out of a Land Raider Crusader would work. Though DC cannot take objectives and almost require two core units which can to justify them.

10 man assault squad, or two 5 mans squads with razor backs(Assault Cannons), would be another alternative.

After you get another troop choice you will want to invest in another HQ choice. A reclusiarch with your DC would be good.

I put lightning claws on my terminators, ran them with a librarian epistolary in terminator armor with a storm shield with unleash rage and sword of sanguinious. Today, out of a crusader they managed to take out a 13 strong unit of nobs with cyborg bodies and ghazgul by beating them in combat and running them down. 9(Statistical average to the unit) unsaved wounds to the nobs, though it cost my all 5 LC terminators, the librarian ran down Thraka and the nobs all by his lonesome. Then proceeded to take shots from 30 boyz with a pair of big shootas, took the charge, killed the big mec and proceeded to get chopped to bits by the orc mob.

Build a solid core of troops. Pick another more effective and fun HQ which suits the direction you want to take. The get something shine, Land Raider, Baal Pred, Furioso...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to agree on another troop choice. But perhapse another alternative to buying individual boxes would be another AoBR set. Multi melt dreds are nasty, you will get your full share of troops and a bunch of extra orc peices to add decoratively to your bases.

If that doesn't interest you I suggest something with templates, perhapse a Baal pred they are cheap to field and are very useful. Iv assembled mine with removable sponsons and removable assault cannon so I can run it as either a baal pred, a razorback with assault cannon or a rhino.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice. I think I definitely will go for a unit of Death Company. That way I will also get a bunch of spare bitz to convert any new models to make them more 'blood angelsy'. Baal preds look good too and would add a bit of armoured support to my army.
    Also, thanks zagman for the advice about Assault Termies - I was tossing up the idea of getting some but I think I definitely will now
    Thanks again!

Alandriakh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    415 (x8)

The Death Company box is not only worth it because they'll be useful on the table, but it also comes with buckets of extra bits to customise your other Marines and make your army stand out.

Baals are also great anti-horde. If you're looking for transport options for the DC (they're much more cost-effective without jump packs) a Stormraven or a LRC is a good anti-horde choice; if you can't fit that into a list, Rhinos are fine.
    The above poster = Totally a member of the Fluff Masters Clan. Click here for fluff pwnage.

Come, sons of LO! Kneel before Poodle!

Mr_Wayne: "Some people believe that the World Eaters do not field any ranged weaponry. Those people often die at a distance."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

Zag, i know in the space marine codex, models in termy armor cannot sweeping advance. You should check to see if they ommited this from the BA codex.

From what i've seen/played against BA, none of them take sanguinary guard. Very few if any Death company. They either go 1 way or the other with their lists:

Land raiders or 6 predators.
    Last edited by ericismyname; July 8th, 2010 at 18:20.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

One thing to consider with your Death Company, should you choose to pick them up, is what transport/movement upgrade you plan to get them. It's generally accepted that the jump packs are just far too expensive to be practical in all but the most specialty list built to use them. For a small force such as yours a Land Raider isn't too fitting and a Rhino or Razorback are likely more fitting. The Razorback would be my personal choice as you can get some good turret weapons for it that work great against Orks and Nids (HBs for anti-horde or ACs for anti-light armor or MCs).

Having Nids as my primary opponent I cannot stress enough the effectiveness of a Baal Predator with the TL Assault Cannon/HB Sponson loadout. You can kill entire units at a time with that rate-of-fire. Not to mention it has a great model and is a signature Blood Angel vehicle. Whirlwinds are a cheaper but still very efficient alternative if you prefer them though.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by ericismyname View Post
    Zag, i know in the space marine codex, models in termy armor cannot sweeping advance. You should check to see if they ommited this from the BA codex.

From what i've seen/played against BA, none of them take sanguinary guard. Very few if any Death company. They either go 1 way or the other with their lists:

Land raiders or 6 predators.
    You are very right. We both totally forgot about not being able to sweeping advance. Thank you.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

No problemo bro
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast