Marine/Guard Regiment/Chapter Conversion Questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

Marine/Guard Regiment/Chapter Conversion Questions

This is the Marine section, so I figure you all will know the best. However this is specific to modeling the Marine scouts.

I am currently a Tau player, who wants to make an Imperium Army. I love the fluff of the Imperial Guard, and hates the fluff of the Space Marines as a whole. However the Space Marine rules and codexes are the envy of every other army in 40k, mainly because they are GW's love children.

I am therefore stuck in the deciding point of actually investing in the models. Either I use Marine rules, and using conversion make them an elite all Stormtrooper regiment of Guard. I have lots of Guard rebreather heads I could use instead of marine ones, basically using Kasirkin like guys in place of Tac Marines, converted heavy Sentinels instead of Dreads and so forth... or I can take models from the Marine list to make special units in a Guard regiment. I find the Marine Scouts would make great stormtroopers or veterans if I gave them Guardsmen heads.

So to my actual question. Scouts... it says the regular guys come with shotguns which sounds perfect for veterans. However the pictures on GW's website shows a guy with a heavy bolter... can Marine Scouts have Melta and Plasma weapons? And if so do they have the options in their sprues?

Also the Sniper scouts look like they could be converted into good Stormtroopers if I just cut thier barrels shorter to look like hotshot lasguns, but the picture on the site shows one with a rocket launcher... scout sniper sprues have heavy weapons as well?

Pretty much I am looking to get a good idea of what the marine scout sprues contain, so I can make a final decision.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Two different five man boxes for scouts. One comes with sniper rifles and a rocket launcher, the other comes with close combat weapons ( bolt pistols, combat blades and a chainsword ) plus boltguns, shotguns and a heavy bolter. The scout biker comes with about five different heads and a load of accessories like pouches and ropes, as does the land speeder storm, but the weapon loadouts are fixed on the storm scouts. None of the sprues have melta or plasma weaponry, nor a powerfist for the sergeant, an option in the codex.

Good luck with the army.
    Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

65 (x1)

Thanks a bunch.

I prefer shooty armies, which is why I went Tau. I like their style and models, but prefer the look of Guard troops, and regular marines. Therefore I want to make a strong ranged 'chapter' of 'space marines' which I will simply model to be very 'guard' looking. Sort of an elite guard regiment using SM rules.

That said, and with the news of the SM Scout sprues, it's decided. In that case, I look to the experienced Space Marine players to aid me a bit with a army list that can be competitive. I do not currently own the codex, and will be buying the Marine codex shortly, but anyone have any opinion on which Marine Codex I should use? And any advice on good units to build/buy first off?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x1)

Don't get me wrong, SM are great. IG may not be the love child of GW but at the moment I would say IG are just as good or better.

But I am never one to discourage a cool conversion opportunity but if you want a shooty army which owns the field IG are the way to go
    Wash: This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
    Mal: Define "interesting".
    Wash: [deadpan] Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

65 (x1)

Well I decided to make this army Guard regiments, and only claimed victory to a two good tank shocks. The guard out shot my Tau in every instance, even out ranging and matching my railguns. So I looked once again at my Tau codex to figure out where the advantage in my army was and it was simply 'combination of firepower and mobility' which to me sounded like 'not much'.

I like the new Vendettas and also love Kasirkin and Stormies, but all of those are the $60 vehicles and collection of metal models. I despise metal models.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

If you're playing marine rules as a Fluffed Guard regiment, your best bet for a codex is the vanilla codex. They can do some stuff with their scout marines that no other codex can match, which would actaully line up your rules and fluff fairly well. Scout teams driving around in Storm speeders, support by sniper teams, some light armour, and sternguard teams (painted as deathwatch marines, if you like the idea of adding some inquisitorial goodness in there) would make a solid combination - especially backed up with the right HQ (Pedro). I've run lists like this before, and while they're not super-competative, they pretty flexible and can put up a good fight if you pay attention to what you're doing.

I can post a sample list for you if you like.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

65 (x1)

Please.

Can Storm Speeders actually carry scout teams? If so that will let me make it a air assault/ airborne unit.

P.S. We run with 2000 pts in Korea. If you could, I need the most competitive shooty marine list I can make. I would prefer an airborne type theme, but all is good, everything from Dreadnoughts to Assault Marines can be worked out. I am not sure how I would do Termies, so it might be best to avoid them unless the list needs them. =)
    Last edited by Serran; July 9th, 2010 at 21:36.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

The land speeder storm counts as a fast attack choice that can carry five models ( scouts only ). You can upgrade the heavy bolter standard weapon to a heavy flamer, multi-melta or assault cannon but these dont come in the kit. Useful for some tank killing. Unfortunately it cannot be squadroned.
    Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

65 (x1)

I just skimmed a friend's codex, and I see that Devistators are the best sort of Heavy Support for an infantry based list. Anyone find the Thunderfire Cannon to be any use?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

It's a glass cannon - the things die stupidly easy.

Airborne is difficult to do with most marine armies. Most codexes can get a bunch of speeders into the list, though. And while blood angels can do airborne with their Storm Ravens, it's a whole different can of worms from a fluffy guard-style marine army.

Anyways, here's the scout/sternguard list, as promised:

* Pedro Kantor (makes the sternguard scoring, and gives some nice buffs)

200: 5x Sternguard, Powerfist, 2x Combi-meltas, Razerback

100: 5x Scout Marines, Powerfist (rides in LSS)

100: 5x Scout Marines, Powerfist (rides in LSS)

60: Land Speeder Storm, Heavy Flamer

60: Land Speeder Storm, Heavy Flamer

220: 10x Sniper Scouts, Camo cloaks, Sgt Tellion

180: 2x Land Speeder Typhoons (in a squadron)

210: 10x Devastator Marines, 4x Missile Launchers

210: 10x Devastator Marines, 4x Missile Launchers

* Whirlwind

There's a ton of possible alterations in the list, depending on personal preference, and the models you have. If you're looking for something that's specifically an air cav list, go look up some of the Blood Angels Air Cav lists in the army lists section.
    Last edited by watchwood; July 10th, 2010 at 16:43.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast