IG with DH as allies? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IG with DH as allies?

i've got a pretty sizable army of mainly mech.

3 executioners
    1 vanquisher
    1 hellfire
    1 valdor
    1 chimera
    2 medusas
    1 basilisk
    2 valkrie
    2 baneblades
    1 shadowsword
    1 stormlord
    1 warhound titan

and then some toops...about 30 gaurdsmen some kirskin some HQ, some tech priests and servitors..

and then a friend says to me, hey you should ally your army with the gray knights daemon hunters.
    great i say, and then go off and get lord corteaz and his retinue, i then dl the quick codex from GW.

now i need some advice.. what the heck do i buy next?? i love mech, but that's not all thats in an army.

IG mechanized/DaemonHunter army 7000 +pts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    337 (x6)

Some more infantry? I'm afte5r advice about army builds myself atm, but i'd think 40/50 men from a 5k+ list is a little light. Maybe if you want mech some more transports?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

Infantry is the next logical step. Grey Knights are powerful additions, but you could still do well with buying some battleforces and using the models to table some platoons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GK should be getting a codex sometime this year or early next so watch ye self My plan is to run with some DH once the new list comes out. GK's in Vendetta's would make powerful objective grabbing/holding choices (melta vets just seem to pop out then die horribly after nerfing a land raider or whatever).

Check out the Leafblower list, don't copy it if you want to have anyone play with you at your local club though the mystics seem like a fantastic option however to stop BA/SM deep striking the f out of your position.

Also get more chimera's, they rock

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

Watchwood speaks from experience, and that's simply because he's usually on the receiving end. GKs are great additions, but they really need something to quarterback them. You've got to use them like you would use a bunch of Plasma Vets, combined with, say, Ogryns.

They may be badass Grey Knights, but they're still only (similar to) Space Marines.

Couple of notes: Currently, if you're using the PDF from the site, it does not have allies. Word is, it's a misprint, but until they repost it with proper allies, you can't use the PDF version and run allies (and definitely not Corteaz , he's a named character and forbidden from being inducted, though you could run him as a regular inquisitor).

You're going to need to make a list before deciding on what to buy, otherwise it'll be a hodgepodge of units that you won't ever really use.

If you're wondering what specifically to bring in from the Daemon hunters, there are three obvious choices: Inquisitors, Terminators, and Power Armour Grey Knights. You CAN bring in an HQ (and some times it's a good way to get more terminators into your list), but it's usually pretty pricey.

Terminators are the safe bet, but they're points heavy, however there is a reason why they're universally feared: S6 power weapons at initiative. Combined
    with terminator armour, they're simply terrifying. If they get in close combat, it's game over. Usually a good idea to give these guys a psycannon.

Power Armour Grey knights, basically regular space marines...but slightly more assaulty. They're S6 at initiative, like the termiantors, but they don't have power weapons (Justicar does, however), but they've got everything else that makes GKs good. This squad can take two Psycannons. If you're already pretty heavy on infantry (and you're guard, so you should be), and you've got the points, take two Psycannons OR Incinerators, otherwise, one Psycannon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    337 (x6)

Just a little word of warnnig, I'd be very cautious paying out for a DH/IG combined list at the moment.

As Demize said, Grey knights/demon hunters/combined Inquisition are rumoured to have a codex on the way. I would be very surprised if that codex, if it comes, allows for taking allies/inducted troops like the old codex. It would fly in the face of GW's stated policy to avoid interaction between lists (which create massive balancing issues) and separate armies by limiting characteristic units to only their parent army (such as when they removed the Leman Russ option from space wolves because it diluted the image of the two armies).

In addition, as cKerensky has said, the recently released PDF version of the DH book has removed all the rules for allies and inducted units. While there is no firm consensus about whether this new form supersedes the old discontinued paper codex, many people and tourneys may not allow allies to be taken anymore. It remains to be seen what GW enforce in their next offical tornie.

My advice them would be to avoid investing huge amounts of money in anything that can’t be fielded either as a pure IG list or a pure DH list to avoid finding yourself in the position that many players of IG 'doctrine' and chaos 'cult' armies found themselves in after their last codex updates, ie with some miniatures they cold no longer legally use, or worse, Lost and the Dammed players, who just lost their whole army.
    Last edited by matus; July 13th, 2010 at 18:48.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

There is a firm consensus: Codex trumps the PDF. Straight from the horses mouth. It was a massive mistake on their part, and the PDF will apparently be reissued with the rules re-included.

+ Reply to Thread