Armoured Sentinels w/ Lascannons....are they even worth it? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Armoured Sentinels w/ Lascannons....are they even worth it?

I had the opportunity to pick up three armoured sentinels outfitted w/ lascannons for a very good deal. At first, i thought, AV12 squadron of mobile lascannon teams? Awesome!

Then I realized that guardsmen are completely blind, cause w/ BS3, half the time my sentinels will miss their expensive lascannon shot

Is there something I'm missing about armoured sentinels? I run a squadron of scouts w/ hunter killers and autocannons that outflank and are dead shooty, but I can't seem to find a reason to field my armoured sentinels! If you have a fantastic way of using your armoured sentinels to mess with the enemy, please... tell me!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

The extra couple points of front armour means that they can tarpit decently against a lot of infantry targets. That's about it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

Pretty much. Everything is more cost effective then what you can arm sentinels with. If you take a full squad with lascannons, its better to just take a vendetta.

The best way to run them.....

...is with autocannons. Move them up field and support your attacking veterans. Tarpit what you can. They're pretty good at this role, but still pricey.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you take a full squad with lascannons, its better to just take a vendetta.
    Wouldn't a squad of sentinels be more durable than a single vendetta? For me, the bigger and impressive the model, the higher priority it is for the enemy player

Tyr
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Theres also the possibility of using armoured sentinels with H. Flamers, to deal some damage before they tarpit a unit... At least, thats what Ill do.
    "Better to crush an ant with a boulder, than flick lazily at it, possibly miss, and then have it bite you in the ass." The Awakened One

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x5)

Vendettas can....

carry Troops
    take Heavy Bolters
    go almost anywhere, since they're Skimmers
    Outflank
    turbo Boost
    turbo Boost Scout Move
    have 3 Twin Linked Lascannons
    be Cheaper

than a squadron of armoured sentinels.
    Last edited by cKerensky; July 15th, 2010 at 19:05.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Lascannon Sentinels:

Manage terrain better than skimmers
    Gain cover saves from area terrain
    Are more resistant to being shaken/stunned than skimmers
    Take up less space on the table
    Can tarpit very effectively

but unfortunately

Are not as cost-effective as special weapon spam tactics

Overall, I find them quite useful. Shoot down (and/or kick!) transports in the early game, tarpit in the late game and maybe even send them up a flank to an enemy objective, with side-armor shots along the way. They're a solid, reliable choice that only gets left out because of the trend towards SW alpha-strikes and the profound undercost of Vendettas. Seriously, Lascan Sentinels would need to be 30 points each for their offensive capability to be priced in keeping with the Vend. It's ridiculous.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x5)

A vendetta has the exact same ability to resist stunning the same way Sentinels do

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by cKerensky View Post
    A vendetta has the exact same ability to resist stunning the same way Sentinels do
    But if a sentinel is shaken the others can still shoot.

But i dont think armoured sentinels with lascannons are worth it, 3 of them cost the same amount as 3 lascannon heavy weapon squads. I'd rather tak the lascannon HWSs than the sentinels, and we all know that they're not the most effective choice.

The Emperor Protects
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x5)

Once again, I'll post a link to some stats on this:

the back 40k: What Are The Odds?

Lascannons are about equal to the much cheaper Autocannon when it comes to stopping transport vehicles, which is their best use. Lascannons are really only necessary for dealing with Tyrannid MCs sporting 2+ and 3+ saves. In which case a Vendetta is the most cost-effective unit for taking them. Twin-Linking means you'll hit 75% of the time.

So if taking Sentinels, put Autocannons on them, deploy them in cover in the middle of your line, and shoot up transports while you hug/deny cover. If you get the chance you can even tarpit assault troops with them.

Both Vendettas and Sentinels have their advantages and disadvantages. Though neither is as fragile as people like to claim.
    Come visit my blog at: www.warstrike.org

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast