Marine player wants other army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marine player wants other army

hey guys i'm back

but now i have completed my marine army i'm searching for an other army
    i like shooty more then assault army's so no nids
    was thinking of tau or guard

ps i'm a track head

why do want to fight behind barricades and in trenches join the scouts for some of the most amazing battlefields bord tyranid broodships and fight a carnifex and changes are you will live longer than in the imperial guard singh here please :..............

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well i had the same problem as you, wanted a shoot em up army rather than orks or nids, but i went with a new army because i didn't like in my opinion the jack of all trades master of none thing with the space marines, so i went guard, and im thinking about rolling tau after i get my ig up to about 2000 points, but i can squeeze in about 50 models in a 500 pt battle and a leman russ and chimeras for all my infantry squads at 1000 and its a real easy counter to my friends orky footslogging list, but if you want to completly be all shooty, then roll tau since they can hold their position easier than some ig can in my opinion.

I am Paladin - Play Free Online Games

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Another good option is Eldar. They can be very shooty. Heck, their falcon transports can easily put out 6 shots per turn and war walkers can put out 8 and be fielded in squadrons of 3. That is 24 shots from one unit. Dire Avengers can blade storm. All of these shots are very painful. My son uses them against my marines all the time..
    Once a Marine, always a Marine.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x3)

Tau better at holding a line and shooting IG. I don't think so. IG are an option, especially if you like tanks. Tau are an old codex and will have alot of trouble with drop pod DSing lists.

If you want tanks and competitive, go IG.
    If you want fast and shooty, go Eldar.
    If you want "pow, right in the kisser" railguns, go Tau.

I was in a similar position, had bugs, got blood angels, then wanted to shoot stuff, in the process of going mechdar.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x3)

Double post.

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by spacelord View Post
    ps i'm a track head
    Guard.
    Besides, all your spare marine bits and bobs can be used

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by spacelord View Post
    ps i'm a track head
    I beleive the proper term is tread head

That said i would definately reccomend either Eldar or Imperial Guard for a shooty army. Tau just can't keep up in a competative enviroment anymore. Any fast army barring Trukk Boyz will simply destroy you due to their speed. The only reason you would stand a chance against a Trukk list is because your basic weapons are S5 allowing Fire Warriors to bust Trukks with ease.

The Imperial Guard Veteran Squads will cost about as much as your Fire Warrior squads, on average still cheaper though with a higher BS, three special weapons, and a cheap transport with a Heavy Flamer for when enemies get close and most importantly 5 fire points. In addition to all this they have very cheap distruption means with Inquisitors and Officers of The Fleet screwing with enemy reserves, Outflankers, and Deep Strikers. If your aead head then fear not, my brother plays with 4 Sentinels, 3 Leman Russ Demolishers, 6 Chimeras and a Vendetta in his 2000pt list with plenty of room left for 4 Veteran Squads, 2 Penal Legion Squads, a Psyker Batlle Squad (Weaken Resolve is brutal), and a Company Command Squad with an Astropath for his Outlanking Sentinels, Vendetta and Legionaires.

On the other hand the Eldar have much faster and durable transports able to put out a good amount more firepower than the Imperial Guard Chimera. They don't have fire points to safely use their weapons but at close ranges they can put out rediculas firepower and have better armour than the Imperial Guard to help protect them at these close ranges. Fire dragons match Chimelta Veterans (although they are more expensive). Their units are again BS4 more often than not and should do very well in objective games due to their MANY fast veichles.

Much like I said before the Eldar can still preform strongly but the Imperial Guard Mechanized build is extremely tough and the Tau... aren't. That's speaking from a more competative nature but for some people that isn't too much of an issue, it's your army so the choice is always yours Best of luck with whichever way you go.
    Last edited by Mr. Biscuits; August 3rd, 2010 at 16:12. Reason: Grammer
    Ask me about the Black and White Space Marine on the Black and White Bike!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off I wonder why you don't consider Space Marines to be a shooty army ? Dakka Preds, Rifleman Dreads, Las/Plas Razorbacks makes for a very shooty army.

A quick word of defence for the Tau. They're still a highly competitive army - lots of suits bubble wrapped with Kroot. Check out Yes the Truth Hurts amongst others for example lists

Also a quick negative for Eldar. I play mech Eldar, and they can't really be considered a shooty army. Long range anti-tank is expensive and/or on unreliable platforms for a start. It's possible to fit in a lot of 24" S6, but don't expect to kill a whole lot with it. Mech Eldar generally plays sneaky.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

How do you play your Marines? If you already run with a lot of Razorbacks and Predators then Guard isn't going to feel much different to you.

Tau are definitely not competitive these days. They have the worst leadership, the worst CC, poor deployment options, double-KP transports and not nearly enough firepower to compensate. Cool models, still, but wait for their next revision before picking them up.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I'd go for Imperial guard. I plan to myself, when i've got enough marines, and paint them in similar colours so they can be the planetary guard regiment for the marines planet. The big plus with guard for me is the vast array of fighting vehicles.
    Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast