Imperial Guard and the baggage they bring. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imperial Guard and the baggage they bring.

Ok Treadheads, I started a post like this for Dark Elves, and just looking for some general perspective and opinions from other guard players.

Do you feel like you are stereotyped as a competitive player when asked what army you play and reply IG?

Do you find yourself playing against competitive lists in friendly pick-up games, when you tell your opponent that you are playing guard?

How do you confront people who spam, look for a quick win, and gloat about a win, etc... when you take a friendly list?

So post opinions you have about what people think about a guard player.

PS: Sometimes I just go against peoples preconceived IG list and bring 200 soldiers and no tanks to the field. Really screws with their heads.

Darks Elves 6000ptsWood Elves 500pts (WIP)
    Imperial Guard 5000pts
    http://mr-godz.mybrute.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Experimental Strategist Sun the Unwilling's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

I have never once been labeled as a power gamer due to the units I take, also there is no list tailoring.

If you avoid stuff like vendettas, triple melta vetaran, chimera spam, people will treat you with respect and play nice.

By the way I use storm troopers, Orgyns, conscripts and infantry platoons. None of the beardy stuff.
    "Hard pounding, gentlemen: but we shall see who can pound the longest."
    Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington

Senior Member stayscrunchyinmilk's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    370 (x8)

I've been doing IG for near a decade now, And friendly lists are competitive (but not tournament lists) where i play.
    You'll always get some players like that.
    Stick with it, and preferably a themed army, and over time a new fancy book will be released and you won't be labelled a power gamer.
    For example: a few months before the new book came out i went to a tournament with 136 players, and i was the only guard player, my first opponent's response was : "Jeesus you're brave." I came in the top 20%, so i'm not bothered (I did draw vs a SM player with 6x 5 man lascannon squads - I was playing 16x infantry total and alot of armour. ouch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have only come across one player who gave me garbage for being a IG player, but even when i was being curtious he was still rude, so whatever.

And I don't care what list's I play against, it's fun regardless for me.

If they gloat, I won't play them. Not worth my time.

Basically... SInce the new codex a fair amount of people have moved to IG and what not, but for us veteran players (Since 3rd Edition for me!) I enjoy IG regardless of what comes my way.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

I use all that good mech stuff, but I've only had one guy complain about it and he was a jerk about everything, not just my composition. I think your attitude in how you play really affects how people view you. My games always seem pretty close so either I am playing badly or a mech IG is not as overpowered and beardy as people claim.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

I'm having rather the opposite problem; my opponents have begun telling me to quit with the fluff and be more competitive so they can have a decent fight. My tank-heavy list was fine right after the IG revision but now, with all the new Space Wolf, Tyranid and Blood Angels players, my Guard struggle against all the high-speed charging from all directions. Either I need to go mech-Veteran like every other Guardsman or start over with another army to keep up with the Codex Creep.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

I spam chimeras...9 of them...and people still look at my list and say it's weak. chimera spam isn't really cheesy, it's spamming chimelta vets that makes chimeras look bad. What I have is two platoons with 3 line squads and one command squad each, and a company command squad. Even the fact that I take four leman russes is looked on with tolerance...they're in two squadrons (so 4 battle cannons, but only 2 targets). To say that certain models are cheesy is an overstatement...it depends on the list as a whole, and how the choices in question fit in. A list with nothing but chimelta vets, vendettas, manticores, and a primaris psycher would absolutely be cheesy, but you can't just say "anyone who takes a vendetta or three is WAAC." I'd be okay with a squad or two of chimelta vets, provided that they're not the only troops in the list. I'd be okay with 2-3 vendettas, but not 9. I'd be okay with maybe two manticores, but only if I didn't see demolishers in the same list. It's all about context.

Oh, and I have been known to field all 200+ of my metal cadians at once...not much else fit in, but three 50-man conscript platoons (old codex) with maxed out flamers made some eyes bug out. I'm not sure I'd do that using the current codex, though. On the other hand, for a lot more points I can now mob up 5 line squads to do the same thing...only they have LD7, and the lasgun fire that goes with the 5 flamers hits on 4s instead of 5s. 45 S3 hits and 5 flame templates is overkill even against terminators, though.
    Last edited by Marnepup; July 19th, 2010 at 23:51.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

Easy fix. Take a balanced all-comers list whenever you play. I've never had a problem being labeled as a "durr hurr Power Game!!!!".

Friendly and Fluffy lists can both be very fun and competitive. It's just that a lot of people simply don't know how to build a balanced list or use it correctly.
    Last edited by Hockeyman506; July 20th, 2010 at 01:31.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My main argument is when you bring that fluffy and competitive list but your opponent brings a tournament type list and just smashes you to the ground taking all the fun out of the game, and the fact that they brought it on the premise that all IG players are stereotyped as cheese and or broken looking to smack down any opponent.
    Darks Elves 6000ptsWood Elves 500pts (WIP)
    Imperial Guard 5000pts
    http://mr-godz.mybrute.com

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

If you are just playing pick-up games, how about talking with an opponent first? That usually does the trick whenever I play. I've toned down my lists on requests, but as a note, I'm sure as hell not going to make it an easy game for them. I refuse to take a sub-par list when I could help my opponent draft up a stronger list, explain why it's stronger, and teach them a bit on how to play said list. Raises the standard of the game and makes it enjoyable.

Granted there are the jerks always Hammer fluff lists into the ground. Don't know why, I find it boring to completely decimate someone. Case in point played against a BT player that had a very weak list, didn't know what he was fielding so that is my bad. Offered to change up my list, he said he could take it, tabled him in two turns. I got zero satisfaction out of it. Took the kid aside after the game walked him through his current list and codex, helped him build a more balanced list. Played against him again 2 weeks later and it was a completely different fight.

Of course there are also the annoying people who refuse to be helped. Local BA player talks shit, never takes advice, drafts poor lists and is a bad general. Tried to help him out, got laughed at. Smashed him into the ground about 4 or 5 times with the same list (not even a tourny level one) before he finally started getting the hint that maybe he wasn't hot-shit. Hopefully he'll finally stop mouthing off and take the advice that is offered freely by multiple people.

Always talk with people before hand. If they are jerks, don't play them. It's very simple.
    Last edited by Hockeyman506; July 20th, 2010 at 04:14.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast