Armies that we struggle/win against? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Un)Official LO Map Maker Cannibal God's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    162 (x3)

Armies that we struggle/win against?

I've got a few more people coming to my playing group in the next few days. And they all play 40k. So, I'm up against tau, marines, chaos marines, guard, tyranids, orks and a couple of others that I can't remember. Probs just more marines.

So then I was thinking, what armies are we good at playing against?

And of course, what armies do we struggle against?

Also, the TYPE of armies. Which are we good at (horde, mechanised, gunline, fast, etc)?

Thanks guys. This would be a good list for beginners if they're worried about this kind of stuff.

If someone helps you, rep them.
    In a votewar you don't vote on a single match, you vote on the entire round. Got that?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal_God View Post
    So then I was thinking, what armies are we good at playing against?

And of course, what armies do we struggle against?

Also, the TYPE of armies. Which are we good at (horde, mechanised, gunline, fast, etc)?
    1) Sisters are decent at all-comers lists, anti-horde and anti-armour without really making list sacrifices. This makes sisters stronger in a 'tourney' setting where players are locked to one list

2) Gunline guard i'd imagine (local guard player isn't very good)

3) Sisters are strongest mechanised. They are a little soft and light on CC for horde (unless playing radical), don't have the range for gunline, and don't have anything particularly fast.
    They are generally best when used in an aggressive way.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x6)

Because of Faith, sisters can really shoot down anything. What are marines going to do against a flamer/melta and 16 bolter shots that all have the chance to become AP 1? Nothing really. We have plenty of melta to kill crisis suits, plenty of flamers to kill Orks, IG is always a tough nut to crack but we can do it, Nids get eaten alive by flamers and Fexes get mowed down by AP1 bolter fire.
    40k: Silver Angels of Our Martyred Lady 7/2/3 - Daemons of the Great Squiggle! 3/1/0
    Fantasy: Windhost of Athel'Loren 2/0/0 - Daemons of Another Great Squiggle! 0/0/0
    Warmahordes: Legion of Everblight (Absylonia)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x2)

I find it really depends on the build of the army you're facing, and how you're able to use the tools the WH codex gives you to work with. All armies can be a pain to play against.

Forces that can reliably take out 5-6 transports at range are tough nuts to crack. They can usually kill your troops at range too. Those armies usually lack in mobility though.
    Forces with a lot of melta can be a problem. Esp. FAST melta.
    Hordes with a lot of S4 or S5 rending attacks can be a pain.

I'd say IG and Dark Eldar have to most potential to cause my Mech WH lists problems. Many armies have problems with the Multiple small units builds the WH can put out.

that said, WH aren't easy to learn to use. They do take a lot of practice, and aren't always real forgiving.
    check out Farmpunk's blog:
    the Back 40k

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My cousin plays tau and I just got wiped last weekend. 3 hammerheads and 3 broadsides wiped my exorcists and immolators, kroot hounds are unbelievably cheap and beat anything you have on toughness and initiative. I was hypothesizing that because of their low leadership, I would best be served with some holy promethium and inquisitor powers to scare his hounds off, crisis suits have low Ld as well. Force morale tests on suits. Play aggressive with hammerheads and broadsides, but I still haven't found a sure-fire strategy against tau.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Melvin McSnatch View Post
    My cousin plays tau and I just got wiped last weekend. 3 hammerheads and 3 broadsides wiped my exorcists and immolators, kroot hounds are unbelievably cheap and beat anything you have on toughness and initiative. I was hypothesizing that because of their low leadership, I would best be served with some holy promethium and inquisitor powers to scare his hounds off, crisis suits have low Ld as well. Force morale tests on suits. Play aggressive with hammerheads and broadsides, but I still haven't found a sure-fire strategy against tau.
    That's 4 heavy support so his list is illegal. and Kroot hounds are only T4. Crisis Suits = Ld8. Kroot = Ld7 without a shaper, you can usually tank shock them into falling back.
    5th E Sand(Grey) Knights: 11-3 (retired) 5th E Eldar: 37-4 (retired) 5th E Wolves 5-0

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Historically necrons have been a very difficult matchup for SoB - most of our strengths don't mean much against them (oh noes AP1 bolters) and they have plenty of weapons that will smush anything that fails a save.

However - as said - DE and IG are the kings for messing up pure SoB, there is virtually no way to take both armies on head first and both pack the required firepower (and in DE's case CC as well) to delivering army crippling attacks very, very early.

Tau are actually a very easy matchup - they can make mincemeat of excorcists but they will struggle to deal with 30+ battle sisters - faith coupled with a 3+ save means only crisis will do anything and those are always one of the first things any player needs to destroy.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 hammerheads... bad typing. 5 railguns total, penetrating Immolators and rhinos with 83% certainty, and exorcists 50%. Exorcists only have a 16% chance to penetrate, and then there's the cover save from disruptor pods. In my last game against Tau, I failed to penetrate one hammerhead and the other cover saved. He then destroyed all of my Immolators in the first turn.

Kroot hounds have higher Toughness and Initiative than Sisters. And since they come with 10 kroots attached, you got alot of killing to do before you even get to the hounds. Tank shock, Holy Promethium, and Divine Pronouncement, try not to even fight them.

Suits will take a morale test after one dies.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

~shrug~ I don't feel the need to use transports for my battle sisters...I'd rather just take more sisters for the points. If I run them on turn one, they're going to be shooting as many inches as they rolled for the run (so an average of 3.5) into the enemy deployment zone on turn two...with a 3+ save, they can soak up a little gunline lovin, especially since when they get there, they won't be allowing armor saves, and any enemy in cover is going to be bunched up nicely for some flamey death. Even if it takes me two turns of running to get in range of a gunline lined up against the back edge, putting 30+ rapid-firing bolters in range on turn three is game over. If I take the transports and they get popped after one turn of movement, I've paid big points for half a D6 of movement.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just played Orks today and tore them to shreds. Lots of flames. I lost 3 Celestians, 1 Immolator and 1 Penitent Engine against dozens of his Nobs, Boyz and his Boss (May they rest in peez.) I flanked with my Exorcist, which made quick work of his trukk's side armor.

Even had less trouble in CC (after I flamed and bolted them) than with Kroot Hounds since Orks have the same Initiative as Sisters, and less than Celestians. I didn't have to maneuver anything, it was almost too easy. He played aggressive CC, I just wailed on him coming in and cleaned up in CC. Power armor saved about 10 wounds for me today.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast