Best loadout for a Razorback? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best loadout for a Razorback?

Hi,

I was just wondering what you thought was the best loadout for a Razorback. Some tactics for using that loadout would also be much appreciated.

I just purchased a Razorback, and am wondering how to use it in my army. I will be facing Orks and Nids. I feel inclined to use the Assault Cannon, because I had so much success with it on my dreadnought, but I really don't know. Also, keep in mind that I play BA.

Thanks in advance!

Alandriakh.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

That Which Has No Time Red Archer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    531 (x8)

For what squad are you buying the razorback? If it will be used as a transport, then keep in mind that transporting units (moving maximum distance) is its main and most important job. Gun upgrades are usually relatively expensive on such a fragile platform and one that is supposed to rush ahead and forgo shooting anyhow.
    Now you are a Blood Angels player. That means your transport is more expensive, and it is even more important for you to deliver your units quickly. But your transport can also get the job done earlier (leaving more time to use the gun mount), and can move further while still being allowed to shoot - those are two decisive advantages. Yet, I'd still be careful with the gun upgrades because they can make your fragile razorback a real points sink.

Here you can find a breakdown comparing the razorback guns. There is one more important difference, though: Blood Angels can get the twin-linked heavy flamer for free, and additionally it is much more effective on a fast vehicle which is able to close in more quickly and also place the template more favorably. On Blood Angel vehicles, the shorter range of the assault cannon and the las/plas mount are also being negated a bit by the speed, while the las/plas immobility is also being negated by the platform being fast.

As for what is best: it also depends largely upon what else you field in your army. If you need more anti-horde firepower go with the flamers or the assault cannon, if you dearly need anti-tank, go with the assault cannon or las/plas. If your razorback is for sitting back and sniping (and surviving) take the twin-linked lascannon. Etc... That why it would be so important to know what your army looks like and what unit you are buying the razorback for.

Hope that helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x1)

Keep em cheap I'd say. A twin linked heavy bolter is pretty effective vs nids and orks.

I think it really comes down to your playstyle. If you tend to shoot a lot the assault cannons are good. (in that sense Baals are better for that role imo.) If you plan on deploying assault troops a lot you probabaly won't be shooting much anyway due to fast / smoke.

I use Baals instead as an Assault Cannon platform due to increased survivability. (and scout moves rock!) I just find that rhinos and razorbacks are easy kill points for most armies so I don't put too many points on them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

I would go with the Assault Cannon as it is more universally useful. The other weapons are good at one role while the assault cannon can excel at multiple things.

However if you are building an all comers list and need the points I would just stick with the heavy bolter that it comes with.
    Last edited by Phaeron Typhoon; July 26th, 2010 at 01:26.
    "I am the architect of fate!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thankyou all for your help! I am thinking of using my Razorback to ferry around my small squad of DC, if that helps. I am just starting out with my BA and I onlt have a small army. The Razorback is my first tank, and considering BA are my first 40k army I really had no idea what to pick. Thanks again!

Alandriakh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The swap from TL Heavy Bolter to TL Heavy Flamer is free in the BA codex! If you're up against Orcs/Nids, bear in mind that you can move the Razorback 12" and fire off a TL Heavy Flamer. The heavy bolter will be better for standoff and in the early game, but the damage potential of the TL Heavy Flamer is massive if used right.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

General rule of thumb for light transports - keep them cheap and armed with anti-infantry weapons and this holds doubly true for space marines due to the squad being tougher than the vehicle they are in.

Real heavy duty weaponry (lascannon, assault cannon, missile etc) in marine armies should be infantry mounted (with the exception of the dreadnaught) as it gels better with how any marine army functions.

With BA being an assault based force the previously mentioned idea of switching the HB for HF is an excellent choice, but I wouldn't go any further than that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The above post makes a lot of sense imo. But with BA, switching out the TL Heavy bolter for a TL heavy flamer at no points cost is worth considering against horde.

+ Reply to Thread