How do people use rough riders? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

How do people use rough riders?

looking to try something different in an upcoming game in the form of rough riders and was wondering how people on the forums put them to best use. I've heard they're best used as a counter-attack unit but i could also see them being used to appear in the enemies backfield and be generally annoying with melta guns busting armour in the rear and hunting lances clearing objectives of troops. I will be fielding a small unit of five since that was a;ll i could fit into my army list. The game a 750 point match.

Thankyou for your help in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Generally, people just don't use them. They have their niche as counter-attack, but they're not even that effective there as they can only do it once. A real one-trick pony, if you like.

There are more effective and reliable meltagun delivery units. Don't forget that Rough Riders still only move 6" per turn and die just as easily as Guardsmen. A Platoon Command Squad with Meltaguns would be cheaper.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

so use them as counter-attack? tbh i'm seeing their use as a counter-attack cos they're pretty cheap and hopefully i'll only need them once, its not as though there are any better counter-attack units?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always take a unit of 7 and they very nearly always work wonders , hold them in reserve and hope they come on late in the game.
    Very good when used with a infantry platoon of 20-30 and commisar, get the blob to hold the charge then send in the calvary 22 st5 int 5 power weapon attacks carves up , there secondary job {if they survive} is tank hunting with krak grenades, they have a potential to move up to 24 inches with a charge so they can relocate this very easily , for 75pts they are a bargain , im currently building up 3 full squads of them , they are quickly become the terror of my gaming club.
    If he persists, put a metal dreadnought in a sock and hit him once with it. Keep it within reach during your next game.
    Rannos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Ah, sounds a good idea to me i can only fit in 5 but hey! thats still 21 strength 5 power weapon attacks that should deal out some serious damage to marines, I've got a 20-man blob squad so shall put the riders in reserve and even if they arrive early they can hide in my back-field and charge when i need them to, could you explain to me how they can move 24 inches in a turn if they charge?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

move 6 run 6 cavalry charge 12 with fleet of foot = 24 inches
    If he persists, put a metal dreadnought in a sock and hit him once with it. Keep it within reach during your next game.
    Rannos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

wow! sounds great, im facing mech marines so those krak grenades sure will be useful

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

A squad of 5 Rough Riders only deal out 11 attacks on the charge, not 21... Still good but not groundbreaking.

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

I don't see how people are getting so many attacks. Unless I am mistaken lances still negate the ahw rule so that's only 11 attacks on the charge for 5 guys.

I have contemplated three units of 10 and just rushing the enemy from between my squads. Yes they will then all die but hopefully will have ripped the heart out of the attacking force.

A

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

At S5, I5, and ridiculously low point cost, rough riders are actually pretty effective if the FOC slot is free and you've got the points for a squad (under 60 ) laying around. For their point cost, they can easily cut a space marine squad down to minimal levels and make their points back doing so.

But if you DO have the points for something else in the FOC (Vendetta, hellhound/varients) spend the points there. Or take marbo.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast