Wargames Factory Sci Fi Greatcoats viable? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wargames Factory Sci Fi Greatcoats viable?

Hey everyone, I dunno if you've seen the greatcoats from Wargames Factory yet, but how would you feel about someone using them for an IG army against you? I got two boxes of them and have yet to paint them but am strongly considering buying more to strengthen my force (75 Cadian models with 100+ Greatcoats seems like a good idea to me, if people would play against a largely non-GW army).

Outside of a GW store or tourney, would you see it as a big deal that they're not GW models? If you haven't seen them yet, here they are: Wargames Factory Store

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

No go in every official tournament, rule of cool might work in local tournaments, but always check.

Basically you have to ask permission before every game to use 'em.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats what I figured, though I don't do tourneys of any sort so that isn't really that important. I was asking more for just regular games. Would you oppose them being used or would you say that they're fine for friendly games?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

IG come in all manner of different appearances already, it's pretty much the point to have outlandish costumes. Since it fits in with the lore I don't think anyone will mind.
    If you tried to claim they were space marines or something then you might get some funny looks but noone I play against would think it was bad to have unique guardsmen. I use some WW1 gas masked stormtroopers alongside some DKoK minis for my inf, and the only comments I've received have been positive. In fact they fit in so well that I use them in the GW store too. Har Har Har.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    216 (x7)

That box set even comes with a flamer and grenade launcher.
    It is obvious that they are designed with IG in mind.
    If I ever buy more infantry, I'd consider these guys.
    As long as it is obvious what they are armed with, there should be no problem
    Arch Overfiend & Grand Despot
    I currently play:
    Doom Eagle Space Marines
    Hive Fleet Omega Tyranids
    Goff Ork Boyz(dead)
    Tau of O'me
    Inquisitorial Xeno Hunters

and my attempted foray into fantasy
    'Dark Angel Green' Dark Elves in need of fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I shouldn't worry about people turning me down for friendly games/ games not in tourneys essentially. That's really what wanted to know. Thanks though, off to buy more!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

951 (x8)

Some tournaments would ban them especially GW official events. Most local or club tournaments would be fine with them. friendly games will be fine unless you play in a games workshop itself.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x3)

There's no reason why you shouldn't use parts of them for conversions. GW's policy for converions is normally 50% GW parts, so you could combine them with cadian parts.
    2500 points of Empire for ToXG: Points painted for month 4: 0 Points painted overall: 510

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    337 (x6)

I'd have no problems playing against them, but then I've never played in a tournie. I'd just make sure they are of a comparable size to GW figures (realistic 28mm figures look wierd against heroic scale ones) and that all the equipment choices are clear WYSIWYG. Like Chad said, I'd be very tempted to mix them with cadian arms and/or even cadian heads. Such bits are availibel cheap off of eBay, they would ensure your opponent knew exactly what they were up against (a man carrying a lasgun is quite clearly a guardsman), they would allow you to use hte full range of equipment/bitz, not just the GL andflamer from that sprue and most importanlty would tie them and your caidan together, making them look like the same army, just some wearing great coats.

Whatever you do, post up some pictures, I do love to see a good original guard army!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x3)

It would be quite simple to make a valhallan army with them. Take the bodies, and use cadian arms with the shoulder pads-filed down, cadian equipment, and greenstuffed headgear on catachan heads. That may not be what you were planning but it would be pretty cool.
    2500 points of Empire for ToXG: Points painted for month 4: 0 Points painted overall: 510

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast