So who wants to help the new guy? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So who wants to help the new guy?

Well, i'm new to this forum and 40K as a whole. My dad and stepbrothers both play and i've found that I can no longer ignore the urge to play.

I've been scouring over the GW website and talking to some people in a local shop. My eyes have been drawn to the Imperial Guard. The idea of laughing at aliens and traitors as we release shell after shell of artillery upon them really does appeal to me.

Basically, I am just looking for some friendly Guard players to talk to about the Pros and Cons of a guard army. How to start off? Anything to avoid? The basics really.

Thank you in advance.

O.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

Pros: Lots of men, lots of tanks, lots of guns

Cons: Terrible in close combat, elite choices are mediocre compared to the rest

You'd want to start by getting the codex, a battleforce, a chimera, and perhaps a leman russ or hellhound. Avoid picking up Ogryns, Rough Riders, Techpriests, etc. (Unless you really like painting). Play some 500pt games, write some lists, maybe proxy some models as other things (Whirlwinds as a griffon or manticore? Probably acceptable among family). Find out whether you prefer infantry or tanks, close range or long range firepower, speed or armor, and then expand your model collection from there.
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice. Nice summary of it all

I really like the look of Kasrkin Squads are they any good? Just like the idea of a sort of 'commando' unit. Looking at the battleforce it seems a good place to start, better than most others anyway. I'll be playing Chaos (with lots of Tac Squads), Eldar, Orks and very rarely Daemon Hunters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x3)

Karskin are models for storm troopers, they are elite solders with good armour and guns(for IG anyway) they are quite expensive and few people really take them. But I find they can be quite useful, they have the opportunity to drop quite precisely behind tanks and monsters and blow them up (in squads of 5 with either 2 meltas or 2 plasmas.)

What you want to get depends on what kind of army you want... there are 4 main types:

Foot guard (infantry heavy with lots of guns) often not seen as competitive, needs lots of troops and lots of heavy weapons/special weapons, fewer tanks and no transports.

Horde army (lots of men for throwing recklessly into the enemy) defiantly not competitive, but very very fun, Lots of troops in big blobs, commissars and lots of power weapons, again fewer tanks and no transports

Mech guard (fully mechanised infantry) Very competitive army with lots of veteran squads in chimeras with special weapons, lots of tanks and obviously lots of transports. (very expensive army)

Hybrid (both mechanised troops and foot guard, best and worst of both worlds.) mix of mech guard and foot guard, quite a few people see it as or more competitive than mech guard.

It all depends on what you like best, whatever you choose the first thing you should get is a codex, make an army list and post it up, this way you don't end up buying a whole load of stuff you won't need.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like that idea of dropping them behind tanks and such, melting them and then looking for some carnage to cause. At the moment a hybrid army does sound more what i'd prefer, having a bit of a mix would suit me a little more I think but we shall see.

My codex should be arriving tomorrow, but I was just wondering if someone could possibly explain how Companys and Platoons work? Just a brief overview would make reading some threads a lot easier.

Cheers,
    O.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

The company is the name of the force you take to the battle. It's a military formation containing several platoons. A platoon is a formation with several squads. You can buy a platoon as a single force org slot then pick squads for it like items from a menu till it's kitted out how you want.

If you are getting lots of infantry and vehicles you should check out these vids about painting up armies fast with sprays and dips:
    YouTube - Jawaballs uses Army Painter Demonic Yellow to paint an Imperial Fist!
    YouTube - How to use Army Painter Quick Shade to finish a model Part 1 of 3
    Yeah it's not IG but it's the same idea. It looks so fast! You don't need to use the Army Painter stuff of course, but if I got a significant number of new figs I'd defiantly take this route.
    Last edited by Korona; July 28th, 2010 at 00:14.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for clearing that up. So it goes Company - Platoon - Squad?

Is that the right order? Hopefully my codex and battleforce should arrive tomorrow or Thursday latest so I can start looking at some 500 point lists. Any suggestions on what to take in a small force? Armies i'lll be facing should be in a post above.

O.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x3)

with the battle force? there's not much you can make

CCS - 75
    Autocannon
    vox
    camo cloaks

Vet squad - 90
    autocannon
    2x grenade launcher

Vet squad - 90
    autocannon
    2x grenade launcher

Scout sentinel - 50
    Autocannon
    hunter killer missile

total
    305 pts

That's the best I can make from the battle force, its not a great list, but at least you can use all this stuff when you make yourself a bigger list.

A good 500 point list might be:

CCS - 145
    4x melta
    chimera

Vet squad - 155
    3x melta
    chimera

Inf platoon

PCS - 45
    autocannon
    vox

Inf squad - 65
    autocannon
    grenade launcher

inf squad - 65
    autocannon
    grenade launcher

Total
    475 pts

A strong hybrid list and basis for your army, should beat most things at this level.

You would need to buy 2 chimeras, 2 infantry squads, Platoon Command squad and convert a few meltas. (on top of the battle force.)
    Last edited by Triorchin; July 28th, 2010 at 00:58.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an infantry based IG army with valkyrie support.
    and i use the fantastic 4 (creed, kell, harker and straken)

i take a big blob squad as kind of a meat shield, with two (or more depending on how many points u want) regular squads usualy with a missile launcher or something to cover the flanks, then take a pile of heavy bolters and auto cannons, maybe a lascannon team if they are taking many tanks.

i then take a veteran squad with Harker and demolitions then use them to secure objectives or have them running around offering fire suport and blowing up tanks where needed (relentless + heavy bolter + meltas = win) i usualy put 3 melta guns in the squad to. tanks wont want to go near them.

make sure you put a medic in with Straken's command squad and he will be virtualy unkillable

round it off with some sentinels with hunter killer missiles, some cranky commisars to keep the men in line and a few more heavy weapon teams, set them up to protect Creed and Kell maybe a master of ordnance have a couple of valkries hovering around the outskirts with lots of missiles, then fill your enemies full of lead and laser as they try and get close to you. if they do manage to get to close throw your big squads at them to hold them off while u get rid of their slow people.
    THERE ARE ACTUALY 8 WONDERS OF THE WORLD...AND CHUCK NORRIS IS 4 OF THEM!

+ Reply to Thread