Anti-Zoanthrope? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anti-Zoanthrope?

My friend that I play a lot has a Bug army. He has a unit of 3 Zoanthropes and I cant ever seem to wound one because of their invuln save. What would be a good way to take out a group of three of these things?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

Well if you use S8 weapons then each time you get through the save he looses an entire model to instant death. 4ML devastators, MM attack bikes or just AC/2CL preds can work. Also engaging the zoanthropes in combat works well unless you have to wade through killy steelers etc to get there.

Massed bolter or heavy bolter fire can also help. As the saves are invulnerable put these weapons into the zoanthropes and the decent AP stuff into the tyrants & trygons.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

UnderWater Ninja-Tiger .. Xpyre35's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    147 (x3)

Mad Cat's advice is sound. S8 weapons will ID them. However, I just use volume of fire to take them out. I just treat them as 3 2W Marines, where they always get their armor save. Make them roll those invulns, they will start to fail.

Toy Soldier Aficionado Wolf Guard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x2)

I generally send a marine squad at them. I try to send one that is below full strength, just to tie them up for the entire game, because they are terrible in melee.
    The Wolf time is upon us!
    Rep for the Rep God! Positive for the Positive Throne!
    Armies: Space Wolves, Imperial Guard, Emperors Children, Necrons, Eldar

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

As a nid player i can tell you now, shooting S8+ at zoanthropes makes us very, very happy bugs. Why? Becasue that fire should be going at the MC's. Just mob them with basic weapons, bolters do the job just fine and as has been surgested assault is possibly the best option as zoans just cannot fight back. But basically unless theres litterally nothing else to shoot it with, dont bother with S8+.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x3)

Heirodule has it right. If you are firing S8 weapons at my bugs, they aren't hitting my MCs and that makes me smile. The only Zoanthrope to fire S8 at is the Doom of Malantai. Killing 3 Zoanthropes with bolter and Hbolter fire is no different than killing six marines with bolters. No difference. If you are really worried about them a Nullzone librarian works well(obviously this is more for those who make all comer lists as bugs have very very few invuln saves). They suck in assault, if you can get there do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    190 (x3)

Hey

I am two minds about assaulting Zoanthropes. Sure, they have terrible melee potential, but that is exactly my point. I do not what to tie up one of my valuable Marine squads against a few bugs that could last solely on their Invulnerable Save. The trouble is actually coming within range to launch an assault. If you are heading for them in a transport, kiss that goodbye due to Warp Lance, and then when they have to travel the last few yards on foot, kiss them goodbye due to Warp Blast. And IF you happen to charge, then they have a fairly solid chance of surviving the round of combat, and tying up my unit, denying me a squad that can shoot in my next phase, which I would much rather have to my advantage.

I find that the two things that work best against Zoanthropes are Psychic Powers and Blast Weapons. A Null Zone will always come in handy, and the Vortrex of Doom works to great effect too, if you are game to use it. If all else fails, send a few Whirlwind Castellan Missiles straight to them, and a few Cyclone Missiles. They usually have superior range to the Zoanthropes, and so yu can blast them to hell for a few turns. Honestly, if they survive two rounds of bombardment, then they are living gods, and should be worshipped.

As Hierodule and Zagman have said, the one thing that a Nid player wants you to do is direct your fire away from their Hive Tyrants and their Carnifexes. Firing your Lascannons at Zoanthropes is a terrible idea, and getting tackled up in combat is just as bad. Rain hell from afar, but not with your hell inducing weapons.

Good Hunting.
    Light a fire for a man, and he will be warm for a night. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The Hawk View Post
    If you are heading for them in a transport, kiss that goodbye due to Warp Lance, and then when they have to travel the last few yards on foot, kiss them goodbye due to Warp Blast. And IF you happen to charge, then they have a fairly solid chance of surviving the round of combat, and tying up my unit, denying me a squad that can shoot in my next phase, which I would much rather have to my advantage.
    If your Nid opponent is shooting transports with zoanthropes you need to give him a massvie hug for being a muppet. Same deal if h goes and shoot the marines with it after.

The best way to get rid of zoanthropes is a simple tactical squad to the hugely deformed face. Disembark your transport, hit them in the face with bolters (you should kill 1) and if you have melta then thats great(ish). When your done, assault. Thats it. Just hold them there till you can get something interesting to hit them hard, youll win the combat no problem.

Failing that, libraians in general are a pain, you can block us all day but we cant touch you psycically because your in a metal box on wheels

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Heirodule View Post

The best way to get rid of zoanthropes is a simple tactical squad to the hugely deformed face. Disembark your transport, hit them in the face with bolters (you should kill 1) and if you have melta then thats great(ish). When your done, assault. Thats it. Just hold them there till you can get something interesting to hit them hard, youll win the combat no problem.

You mean bolt pistols right? Cause I want to know how you fire your bolters and assault.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

344 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Zagman View Post
    You mean bolt pistols right? Cause I want to know how you fire your bolters and assault.
    Doh thats what happens when you go to the Marine forum as a bug

I think... i was refering to getting out after moving 6-12" or so from a transport, so you couldnt assault anyway hence why i mentioned rapid fire. Good save, thanks Zagman, Repped

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast