Psyker themed army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Psyker themed army

EDIT: This is a Witch Hunters army with inducted guard, sorry for not mentioning that.

Just came across this while browsing for sanctioned psyker models, and was thinking about fielding a similar list. Here is the link and list:

Awesome Sauce Studio Web Log: 1500 Imperial Guard Psyker Army

Primaris Psyker - Join him to one of the Psyker Battle Squads or the Inquisitor in Land Raider for added Nightshroud protection!

Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor Lord
    Psychic Hood, Psyocculum, Auspex, Psi-Tracker
    Familiar x 2
    Devine Pronouncement - After a Psyker Squad drops a units leadership, hit the unit with this to make them essentially auto fall back.
    Purgatus - Want to insta kill an independant character? Drop it's leadership to 3, and hit him with the Neural Shredder.
    Word of the Emperor - Always good to defend yourself against enemy units.

Land Raider - After a Psyker Squad drops a units leadership, Tank Shock all game long!
    Smoke Launcher

Elites

Psyker Battle Squad (10) - Drop either pie plates of death or leaderships down to nothing.

Psyker Battle Squad (10) - Drop either pie plates of death or leaderships down to nothing.

Callidus Temple Assassin - Neural Shredder is great for insta-killing leadership dropped multi-wound units and ICs. Great for Ork Biker Nobs!

Troops

Platoon Command Squad
    Sniper Rifles x 3 - Pin those LD 2 units!

Commissar
    Infantry Squad
    Infantry Squad
    Infantry Squad
    Lascannon

Platoon Command Squad
    Sniper Rifles x 3 - Pin those LD 2 units!

Commissar
    Infantry Squad
    Infantry Squad
    Infantry Squad
    Lascannon

Fast Attack

Sentinel w/ Lascannon
    Sentinel w/ Lascannon
    Sentinel w/ Lascannon

I love the Culexus Assassin here as well, because you could drop him in right next to a psyker battle squad and fire off 10+ shots instantly boning whatever is unfortunate enough to be nearby.

With so many psykers he'd have a field day...

Opinions LOers?

Last edited by Ordo Hereticus; August 4th, 2010 at 11:38.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

You cannot induct Psyker battle squads. You will need to declare it as an imperial guard army with allied sister of battle units. This means you need a guard HQ. The guard 2 troop choices you already have.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cat View Post
    You cannot induct Psyker battle squads. You will need to declare it as an imperial guard army with allied sister of battle units. This means you need a guard HQ. The guard 2 troop choices you already have.
    He already has a Primaris Psyker. The army, as it stands, is currently a legal Imperial Guard army. Might as well play it as such.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Ordo Hereticus View Post
    Purgatus - Want to insta kill an independant character? Drop it's leadership to 3, and hit him with the Neural Shredder.
    Purgatus drops Ld by 3, not to 3.

Also the inquisitor is one model short of a legal retinue.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

You're basing an entire list on psychically nerfing leadership? It won't work. What will you do against fearless enemies? Stubborn? Enemies that are vulnerable but never climb out of their transports? How will you handle psychic hoods, farseers, and the Shadow in the Warp? There's a reason IG players aren't bragging to each other about how broken psyker squads are.

Then you have mobility issues, few scoring units, trying to keep your centerpiece assassin alive, etc. A better solution would be to craft a more standard IG list, with no inductions, and keep the Primaris and a couple PBS units. You'll still have your psychic theme with enough points left over to have alternatives when you face resistant opponents.

I may be wrong, but I think the PBS leadership-nerf only applies in the shooting phase and doesn't carry over into the assault phase.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry if I sounded like a tool coming in here with a theorycraft list saying it was end all ownage, but that's not what I meant to do at all. I didn't write this list, I just found it and thought it would be fun to toy with till we came up with a similar themed but viable list.

That said thankyou for all the input. I agree it should be played as a guard army, and I can see fearless MEQ infantry lists... there are no crowd control guns. If anything this list would be more viable as a standard guard list or left entirely to mechanised sisters based around abusing holy promethium. Coincidentally I have done this recently to counter my friend's abuse of jetbike seer councils, it worked pretty well but only because I tailored it knowing he had no anti-tank weapons apart from pulse lasers.

Lets take a new angle... how to use Imperial Guard psyker units to their full effectiveness. Primaris psykers as HQ viable?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

In low point games Primaris make a sweet budget HQ option. They can hitch a ride with a vet squad and can really add some ranged punch with their ability.

I find PBS start to become good in higher point battles. They counter death star units very nicely but if you take more than one squad you start to have to target the less worthy units and it's a waste of the points. Making a unit of Terminators lie in the ground like wimps is good though. Making Tau Crisis Suit squads flee off the board is even better, and forcing heavy weapon troops to move can spoil their aim for several turns.

Psychologically, anything that messes with the stat line or position of your opponent's forces is very demoralising and I find it can lead to unforced errors. A PBS is reasonably cheap and really hard to neutralise so when they start targetting them instead of the forward combat squads it's pretty funny.
    Last edited by Korona; August 5th, 2010 at 03:24.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

One enemy inquisitor lord with Hammer of Witches, and it's curtains for you...did I mention that an inquisitor lady with psychic hood, hammer of witches, and purgatus is standard kit in my sisters of battle army?
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

Yeah but the new =I= codex is bound to update the psychic hood stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You mean the new codex that was revealed to be fake, that new codex?

+ Reply to Thread