How to kit out wolf lord? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to kit out wolf lord?

Hi guys,
    as the threat name suggest i would like to ask you fellow space wolf players, how do you kit out your lord? and more if he`s on thunderowolf mount. Do you think a 245 points for a lord is too much?...how do you field him? Are generic lord viable/competetive? Do you know any special trick he might have?

aorry for duplicating...something with my connection...

Last edited by Zahradnik; August 7th, 2010 at 13:13.
    Chaos is a word you created to define order you do not understand. Malkavian saying

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    190 (x3)

Hey

Whenever I kit out my Wolf Lord, I look at the situations, the armies, and the roles of which he will most likely be facing? Of course, when it comes to a tournament, you just have to go out on a limb and do whatever you think is best, but if you have a fair idea in mind, then you cannot go far wrong.

As for me, I find that my perfect setup is the following. Mind you this is just what I use, and I do not fathom either way whether you should take this option, as everyone has their own play style. I am just putting this out there for reference:

Wolf Lord 220
    Runic Armor
    Frost Axe
    Plasma Pistol
    Belt of Russ
    Saga of the Warrior Born

All in all, the total is 220, which I think to be a fairly solid amount, ie. he always makes up his points for me anyway. Now, I will explain to you why he works effectively. In the right situation, he is either a) placed in a squad of Grey Hunters with two Plasma Guns, or b) is placed in a Wolf Guard Terminator squad, with so much variety it hurts. Next, I believe that S 5 is where a HQ should be at, which I why give him a Frost Axe. When coupled with the Warriorborn Saga, I feel that complements the Axe that much better than all of the other weapons avaliable, and at S 5 ignoring armor, I do not think it can get better. I am normally adverse to combi weapons, and therefore I stretch him further and give him a Plasma Pistol. Again, it is all about prioritization, and I think that this is the best ranged weapon he can have, when I give him an Axe. I find that Terminator is not essential, and therefore I use the combo of Runic Armor and a Belt of Russ. He gets a 2+ Armor Save, a 4+ Invulnerable Save, and the 5+ Save against Psychic Powers. With Termie armor, you would need to fork out more points for a Wolf Tail Talisman, and you still would not get as good an armor Save as you do with the Runic Armor. Plus, you still get to keep the frag and krak grenades!

Now, a Thunderwolf Mount just makes all of this so much better, but I would only give a Lord one in really high points matches, in particular those that exceed 2000. I feel that the extra credit is not justified, and you would not really be wanting to take TWC in any points less, as they are just too expensive. Sure, S 6 would be awesome, and is awesome when it is used, but you are putting all of your eggs into the one basket, and is not advisable. Also, if I am running him on his own, then Melta Bombs are a must, but any role that I would want a Lord to do on foot, a Lone Wolf can do better, or of equal degree.

So, I leave it to you. This is what I think, but please do not let my setup sway your decision. If you think of anything else, then you go right ahead and you do it. Try out what best suits your play style, what kills the most, and more importantly, what looks the best to you. Without a doubt, a Lord on a Thunderwolf cannot be topped, and if you ever do higher points matches, I urge you to consider it.

Now as for special tricks, there is one rule that you must ALWAYS remember when it comes to the SW: a Lord is only as good as the squad he is with. Place him with the right squad, and watch him reap carnage. Place him in the wrong squad, and kiss your 245 points gone. Evidently, the best place for him, as I have stated, is either with Plasma Grey Hunters, or insanely overpriced Wolf Guard. The next best trick that you need to learn is all to do with your Sagas. Never forget them, and even in the smallest of points games, try and give him one, even if it is just Saga of the Beastslayer. So many a time, people have forgotten these awesome special rules and paid the penalty. Keep in mind though, that you must outfit the Lord to the type of Saga you are planning on giving him. If you Saga of the Beastslayer, than obviously you are not going to go for Mark of the Wulfen, or a Power Weapon, or even a Frost Axe. You want to be thinking along the lines of a Thunder Hammer, or Twin Wolf Claws. Those that realy bring the pain. Or if you want ot give him Wolfkin, he had better be on Thunderwolf Mount. You might like Saga of the Hunter, in which you give the "sneaky setup ( my own term ), which consists of Twin Wolf Claws, Melta Bombs, and two Fenrisian Wolves. Or if you are a real aggresive player, and you want Saga of the Warrior Born, I find nothing works better than a Frost Axe and a Thunderwolf.

I hope this smorgasboard of ideas has sparked your thinking. Just remember: Sagas are your friend, think of his role, maintain his prioritization, and keep up appearances. All of these little notions will ensure that you make the best Lord there can be!

Good Hunting.
    Light a fire for a man, and he will be warm for a night. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    190 (x3)

Edit
    Last edited by The Hawk; August 8th, 2010 at 08:33.
    Light a fire for a man, and he will be warm for a night. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

How you equip your wolf lord depends on what your going to do with him.

Option 1: Ride into a swarm of little guys and slaughter everything until hes dead or their dead?
    Option 2: Go after the biggest most frightening thing your opponent has, and beat it to death?

No matter what, i always add my lord to a 10+ strong unit of Fenris Wolves. While they are usefull in the assault phase, theyre really only there to take bullets and ID causing wounds for the wolf lord.

I normally go for option 2
    Wolf Lord
    Runic Armor
    Thunderwolf Mount
    Storm Shield
    Power Fist
    Wolf Tooth Necklace
    Saga of the Bear
    2 x Fenris Wolves (ablative wounds)
    Total = 270pts
    + 88 Points for the Pack of Wolves.

Benefits -
    - base 5 x S10 attacks in HTH, that always hit on a 3+
    - Immune to Instant Death
    - Your opponent has to cause 10 x wounds before he even touches your wolf lord

Dangers -
    -- Strikes last in HTH

Option 1:
    Wolf Lord
    Runic Armor
    Thunderwolf Mount
    Wolf Claw
    Wolf Claw
    Wolf Tooth Necklace
    Saga of the Bear
    2 x Fenris Wolves (ablative wounds)
    Total = 275pts
    + 88 Points for the Pack of Wolves.

Benefits -
    - base 6 x pwep attacks, that always hit on a 3+
    - Immune to Instant Death
    - Your opponent has to cause 10 x wounds before he even touches your wolf lord

Dangers -
    - cannot fight dreadnoughts and tanks

As you can see I really like the hero hammer aspect the wolf lord adds to my army, and use these guys mercilessly.
    Although if you field 2 of these guys, keep in mind they cannot both have the same saga.
    #25 - Relation to the original topic decreases with every single post.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you`ve been a great hel guys...i am a hardened eldar player and im really not used to my new space wolves and their unit costs...when my hq reached around 150 something must have been wrong..except eldrad....so when the cost for lord reached over 200 hundred it seemed to be too expensive...but is it worth taking generic wolv lord instead for example ragnar or logan?..their around the same point cost and are pretty tough...not mentioning njal...but thats something else...
    Chaos is a word you created to define order you do not understand. Malkavian saying

+ Reply to Thread