Vs. High Mobility Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vs. High Mobility Tau

How do you guys deal with very highly mobile armies, Tau in particular. Do you just try to outmaneuver them in turn? Autocannon spam? More Bring it Down? Lots of bad shots (bs3 las rifles), or slightly less better shots. Should I consider losing some of my mobility to shoot heavier weapons?

I can't seem to be able to send out enough firepower down the line against the Tau player I know. Between his shield drones, and suits that can jump behind cover after shooting I can barely put any wounds on him a turn. Meanwhile my armor is getting wrecked and my guardsmen killed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x3)

Hmm, we guardsmen can often have this problem with Tau. I guess the best piece of advice I can give is to remember the objective, don't be afraid to loose men, and shoot, shoot and shoot again. Cheap screening units can work against battlesuits, and they can't take objectives, so just hold on with large combined squads and hammer him when demolishers and the like. Use lighter weapons to take out shield drones.

Now, a lot of people will disagree with me on this one, but I like doing this. Roughriders! (dodges a volley of rotten vegetables from the other memebers of LO).

These guys have the speed to stay well behind cover, then charge out across the open and nail battlesuits. I find they do this very well. But, others will certainly disagree with me on this on (ducks inside bunker).
    2500 points of Empire for ToXG: Points painted for month 4: 0 Points painted overall: 510

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

I used a PBS to clear away the most threatening enemy suits when I played vs Tau. When they fall back they end up out of position and are normally exposed to more fire next turn.
    I would say overall to push him as hard as possible. If you are mechanised then remember to smoke your chimeras, move them forwards flat out and use them to screen your Leman Russes. As you close his angles dissapear and he can't do the hopping in and out of cover trick. Once you are up in the Tau's face he will fold. His men suck, you can even assault them with guardsmen and they die. Kroot are annoying but flamers remove them very fast.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

951 (x8)

Against Tau I reccoment outflanking. Penal Legion, Al Rahim's platoon and an astropath can devastate the Tau if he sets up expecting a frontal attack. Creed can even make 3 demolishers outflank but he is expensive.

The vendetta is the best unit for tank killing with the added bonus of the scout move letting you outflank if you get the second turn. If you go first then move flat out in your scout move (turn zero) and end up about 13" from fire warriors hammerheads or battlesuits. On your turn one (pray he desnt steal the initiative) disembark 10 veterans armed with 3 meltas 2" from your base and then move 6" fire and assault. This can instant kill suits, tie up fire warriors or melta hammerheads from within 6". The vendetta too can move 6" on turn one and shot suits or tanks from within 12". A squad of grey knights can do a similar trick in a scout moving vendetta getting a first turn charge against 2 or 3 fire warrior units.

The rest of your army can hold bjectives from cover and engage in long range fire. Chimeras dashing forewards with smoke can work especially if the enemy is more preoccupied by outflankers. Remember bring it down order or the fire on my target to force Tau tanks to reroll their cover saves. Use your russ to engage suits or fire warriors. The russ that ignores cover saves is good for this and the collossus and basilisk are great for indirect fire against suits hiding behind terrain. Remember suits cet no cover save for intervening terrain if it is indirect fire doing the damage.
    Last edited by Mad Cat; August 9th, 2010 at 17:13.
    Quorn! - Protein for the Protein God.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Tau are outshooting you? What does your typical list look like, and what kind of terrain do you play with? It sounds as though the Tau player is getting ideal table setups, if he is consistently unloading on you with impunity.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ChadMS
    I really like the idea of rough riders and will be acquiring some in the future, maybe kitbashing with some fantasy chaos horsemen. Next game I'll be using my Chimera's to screen, smoke, and protect my Demolishers as they advance.
    @Korona
    Don't have the models for a PBS yet, so I can't really field them without using count as and taking models from other places in my army. I will however definitely be using my guardsmen more offensively and assaulting with them when I can. He doesn't take any kroot however so I guess that only works in my favor huh.
    @Madcat
    I've been considering Penal Legion, I just got a new box of guardsmen I haven't assembled yet, I'll give them a shot in a game sometime down the line and see how they fare. I try not to reserve too much of my force against this guy, against him I think its better for me to have as many guns on the table as possible. I will however try your alpha strike though, I only have 1 Vendetta, but if i can take out a skyray, or perhaps one of his marker light toting pathfinders it would make the game much easier for me.
    @Intrepid
    He is a GW employee, he knows what he is doing and does it with out mercy. We play friendly games, but he has a solid grasp on how to use his Tau to the best of their abilities. The last game we played was out of the battle missions book, I believe that it was called aerial envelopment or something, basically it allowed him to come in off of any board edge. He didn't bring any of his forces on until turn 3. I forgot that he was able to come in off of any board edge, and my armor was advanced more than half way across the table. Definitely a big mistake as it allowed him to come in behind my armor, get side shots, and get stuck in behind my troops while my Demolishers were out of range. I had kept a large infantry formation in the middle of the board and attempted a pincer attack using vets, demolishers, and sentinels evenly dispersed on both flanks.

He uses markerlights to devestating effect against my armor first chance he gets, once he locks on its generally skyray missiles and missile pods that do the killing. Shield drones protect his crisis suits, and stealth suits dart in and out of cover to unload on my infantry. Luckily for me he only has one hammerhead, but all of his firewarriors are mounted in devilfish. I will be using orders to better effect next game to bring them down.

my list
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ml#post1728561

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

184 (x5)

Wait, how the heck are you loosing if he only uses 1 hammerhead? Doesn't he have any broadsides? How many crisis suits does he have? Shield drones aren't that hard to kill.

Another problem is that you're using the battle missions. That book is complete junk and the missions are unbalanced as hell. I'll check over your list and see if I can help out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Markerlights are what's really killing me, linked up with missile pods and skyray missiles they destroy my armor. Then against infantry its the same thing, markerlights for the firewarriors. Yeah that battlemission was a little ridiculous, albiet fun. It definitely made me regret my deployment when his units started deepstriking in.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x5)

Intreped is pretty bang on with his questions and statement. If you absolutely want to beat Tau, beat them at their own game. They want to stay at range, and that suits my hybrid list perfectly. I don't particularity need to get close to them, and frankly I don't care if they pop my tanks (which is rare for them to kill ALL my vehicles).

There's nothing really Tau can do that we can't do better. We can put out so much armour that it's hard for them to cope with. Having demolishers on the field keep the railguns busy, while my manticore drops shots on their tanks. Once my vendettas outflank, 9 times out of 10, it's game over. Punch their suits with my lascannons, and once they're gone, I can just march up field with everything else.

If I get lucky, and a demolisher gets in range, it's game over then, too.

For the record, I run 2 Vendettas with heavy Bolter sponsons, and a squad of outflanking scout sentinels with ACs and HKMs. The Tau player can sit still, but eventually they know they're going to get smacked with a pair of vendettas and autocannon sentinels, and there isn't much they can do.

You can literally outgun tau, while out maneuvering them at the same time.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

stealth suits dart in and out of cover to unload on my infantry.
    Here's something else. Is your opponent taking all of the dangerous terrain tests that he's supposed to? For the record, that's every time his suits begin or end their movement in difficult terrain. (He can get around this by taking a normal difficult terrain test for the movement phase, but not for the assault phase unless he's actually charging something.)
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

+ Reply to Thread