Building a list around Sicarius? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

Building a list around Sicarius?

I'm interested in putting together a highly Greco-roman/Spartan themed Ultramarine-style army and while I've got conversion possibilities nailed down, I'm stuck on how to put together the army list itself. I'm looking for input. Sicarius seems to embody the epitome of this theme and I would like to use him, but I'm relatively inexperienced with Vanilla SM. If this just won't work at this points level, I'm open to using a Captain with standard combat getup (Relic Blade/Storm Shield/Artificier).

One idea I had was a Command Squad with 4 x PW/SS, modelling the Power Weapons as spears, but I'm not sure. As much as I would like to run a foot infantry army, transports are a must but Tactical Squads seem so lacklustre compared to Grey Hunters. Is it even possible to competitively run 10-man Tactical Squads in Rhinos? I've seen the following setup work reasonably well, but it's quite expensive for what it is: Tactical Squad w/ Meltagun, Combi-Melta and Missile Launcher, in Razorback with Las/Plas. Combat Squad the ML out for backfield deployment and fire support.

I'm open to pretty much any build or unit except non-Sicarius SC's, mass TH/SS terminators or Master of the Forge-based lists.

I don't know. What are your thoughts, guys? Help me out!

PS. 1500-1750

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

Sicarius is a solid HQ choice - he is somewhat unique amoung marine HQs in that he complements nearly any kind of army list. My suggestion is to just go nuts with him, really.

Rhino rushing tacticals is a standard tactic for the Vanilla codex. Yes, Grey Hunters are better in a straight up fight, but they lack a fair bit of the tactical flexibility that you find in the Vanilla codex. (Combat Squads and Combat Tactics, learn to use and abuse them)

The way I usually run Tacticals is 10 guys, Powerfist, Meltagun, and either Lascannon or Plasma Cannon depending on the rest of my list. Mount them in a Rhino for tactical flexibility.

What kind of point value do you typically play at, anyways? That'd help some with list building.

But without knowing what you play, I suggest considering the following as a sample list for 1500 Points, that is somewhat fluffy:

* Sicarius
    155 Command Squad with Company Champion, another guy gets a Power Fist
    245 Tactical Squad: Powerfist, Meltagun, Lascannon, Rhino
    245 Tactical Squad: Powerfist, Meltagun, Lascannon, Rhino
    200 Scout Squad: Sniper Rifles, Missile Launcher
    115 Vindicator Tank
    115 Vindicator Tank
    85 Whirlwind (kills massed infantry easily)
    70 Land Speeder (Heavy Flamer, Multimelta)
    70 Land Speeder (Heavy Flamer, Multimelta)

The Guys in Power Armour are your heavy infantry, the Scouts and Speeders are your light skirmishers. The Vindicators push forward, draw fire, and kill everything, while the Whirlwind constitutes a bit of artillery for your army.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

You might experiment with a little drop-podding. The tactical squad you can buff with Sicarius makes for a very useful drop unit even if they only have bolters. Maybe use two Drop Pods, the first with some Sternguard (to pave the way) and the second with Siccy's friends...or vice-versa, depending on what your opponent does. (I doubt he'll start his entire army in reserves just to spite two Pods, but if he does then the rest of your list can tear him apart piecemeal.) Then you can do whatever for the rest of your army, but consider a 5-man Tactical squad with a Razorback as a personal ride for Sicarius. It's a very useful unit and you can convert the squad sergeant into an impressive-looking 'bodyguard' for the big guy.

On conversions, why not model a Scout Squad or two with the spears you mentioned? The mental image of lightly-armored Marines (in togas?!) charging from the table edges with spears held high is both impressive and Greek-ish, and they can easily count as pistol/CCW Scouts used for reinforcement.

Add in some long-ranged fire support from the rest of your list and I think you're set.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

+ Reply to Thread