Mechguard and their Playstyle - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Mechguard and their Playstyle

So I'm almost done with my SM army which I love and cherish, but the IG are starting to look interesting too. I think I like the idea of a mech army over a hoard but am wondering if you knowledable IG players could explain to me how a Mechguard army actualy functions. Do you just bring lots of Russes or plenty of transports and fire out? How many guard can fire out? lol just give me the works if you so please!

Thank you,

Emysk

Eternity Guard (SM) W-15/L-5/D-3
    Lizardmen w16/ L1/ d2 :On hiatus since new rules... =/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x3)

Mech is short for mechanization or mechanized Mechanization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia which in a military sense means a whole army of troops in armoured transports.

The backbone of an Imperial guard Mech army is a chimelta squad, essentially 3 guys with meltas in a veteran squad in a chimera, another popular loadout is 3x plasma guns instead of the meltas.

These transports will be backed up by Leman russes, Vendettas and sometimes scout sentinels and artillery(no basilisks, they suck.)

there are 5 fire points on a chimera, all of which are shot from the top hatch(not the 6 integrated lasguns in the roof.) you can also fire any weapons you like, not just lasguns. You must stay still to fire heavy weapons out of the top hatch.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

Mechanized lists are great for their mobility. They can react with much greater speed and fluidity than a foot slogging list. Mech guard are also more durable than their footslogging brethren, your opponent essentially has to kill each unit twice. This swings things in a Guard player's favor in my opinion as we can field more units at a given point level than any other list that I can think of.

It is also worth mentioning that the Chimera is an awesome light tank for its low point cost. No other transport sports a hull weapon, a turret weapon and 5 fire points with a 360 degree arc of fire. For 25 points more than a SM Predator, you get your common chimelta squad: 1 laspistol, 6 lasguns, 3 meltaguns, 1 multilas and a hull hvy flamer. That is a lot of firepower for the points. It is also a scoring unit. My tournament list uses a CCS, 6 vet squads, 2 Vendettas, and 2 Russes.

If you prefer speed over the rolling pillbox of the Chimera, the Vendetta gunship is a joy. 3 TL Lascannons and 2 Hvy Bolters, holds 12, is a fast skimmer, it can arrive by deep strike and has the scout rule. It pops transports like a champ and is great for getting a squad onto your opponent's side of the board on Turn 1.

Personally I really dig mechanized guard lists. Good luck with yours

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

The point of a mechanised list is twofold.
    Firstly you negate any anti-inf type weapons the enemy is packing and overload his AT weapons with too many targets.
    Secondly you are fast enough to get troops inside of the deadly 12 inch rapid-fire/melta gun range with minimal losses. Vet squads really are lethal once they get close to the enemy while adding hull heavy flamers to the Chimeras can make the overall package really nasty.
    That's generally how I play guard. March into the centre of the board and kick them with close ranged weapons. If they assault you and somehow bust up the transports, it's okay because your troops can just shoot them down at point blank range.
    The advantage with being so mobile is that you can concentrate forces to overkill enemy units and defeat the enemy in detail.
    Last edited by Korona; August 13th, 2010 at 00:16.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Thank you everyone. SonoftheEmperor I knew what Mechguard stood for, but you did an excellent job at summerizing how you play them perfectly so thank you. Is it a fun army to play? Seems like it might be a bit pricey too however. Is that a problem with this army? And how competitive is it? I hear it does really well, but why?

I do like the idea that you have to kill the transport first before ever getting a chance at the guard inside. Interesting play style.

Emysk
    Eternity Guard (SM) W-15/L-5/D-3
    Lizardmen w16/ L1/ d2 :On hiatus since new rules... =/

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

Playing Imperial Guard at all is pretty pricey. Mechanized forces are the cheapest way for an IG player to go in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeevil View Post
    Playing Imperial Guard at all is pretty pricey. Mechanized forces are the cheapest way for an IG player to go in my opinion.
    I disagree... mech guard is one of the priciest armies around, the points to price ratio of chimeras makes the main part of the force much more expensive and on average troops cost less money per point than tanks/vendettas too.

Mech guard are a competitive,fun army to play, just don't expect it to be cheap.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

I think it's probably about average price wise. Low inf count elite SM lists like Grey Knights are cheaper but some more elaborate SM lists are way more expensive.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

The reason Mech is so strong in 5th is (imo) because of the fact that more things can claim cover, and 2/3rds of the games are objective based. This makes the ability to get where you need to be to claim objectives and deliver cover-denying firepower very important.

As for if it's fun, I certainly think so You'll probably develop a unit that is your favorite as you play (for instance, I happen to love Sentinels). Just roll with it.
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

605 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by sonoftheemperor View Post
    I disagree... mech guard is one of the priciest armies around, the points to price ratio of chimeras makes the main part of the force much more expensive and on average troops cost less money per point than tanks/vendettas too.

Mech guard are a competitive,fun army to play, just don't expect it to be cheap.
    Fielding a 1750-2000 point footslogging army isn't cheap either.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast