Can IG do this cheese? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x1)

Can IG do this cheese?

A kid at my local store is talking about a reserve combo he's going to do: A valkryie holding 10 allied grey knights that outflanks. He says that not only can the valkryie move 24 inches onto the board, he can deep strike them, and since the valk is open topped he can then assault. Is this true?

Signature? What, do I sign my name here or something?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

They are certainly NOT open topped so as far as the assault goes not he cannot do it.
    Eternity Guard (SM) W-15/L-5/D-3
    Lizardmen w16/ L1/ d2 :On hiatus since new rules... =/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

no,
    Allthough with the new allies rule he CAN take grey knights as passengers and he can put them in reserve and outflank thanks to the Valkyrie.
    BUT
    you can not enter the board from reserve with Flat Out speed, so no 24".
    you do not "deep strike" out of a valkyrie, you disembark, so they can only charge when the valkyrie didn't move in that movement phase.
    and last but not least, a valkyrie is NOT open topped, so no charging out of moving valkyrie!

so go to your local gaming store, slap the kid and then point in his face while declaring he told bs
    1 Tournament Victory, 1 Tournament 2nd Place, 3 times Tournament Finalist, Champion of Youngbloods 2006, 3rd Place in Painting Contest,
    2 Awards for fairest player on Tournaments, so far my 40K career

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66 (x1)

If they are wearing Terminator armor I would say no, doesn't have the transport capacity. (page 56 IG codex)
    I would say no on the assault, since it's not open topped. (page 56 IG codex) Also you can't assault after disembarking even if it's open topped. (WH40K Rule Book page 67, and 70)
    Yes they can deep strike over any point that the Valkyrie, with some pretty crappy results if any 1 unit fails on a scatter. Grav Chute Insertion (Page 56 IG codex)

Yes he can move flat out, and disembark them at any point he passes over, but they can not assault that turn.
    So I would say no on that cheese.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

70 (x1)

Oh good! I'm so happy! This kid is a rules lawyer beyond belief and it's wonderful to crush his strategy he's been bragging about for weeks (chaos player, you know). I thought you could enter boards from reserve going flat out however, as Eldar players do this with jetbikes. I looked in the rulebook and couldn't find it either. Is it just outflanking?
    Signature? What, do I sign my name here or something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

it states it somewhere in the Reserves section, but mind you an eldar can do that with jetbike because he is NOT a vehicle, they just use turbo-boost.
    but vehicles can't go Flat Out from reserve IIRC,
    i am not 100% sure about this though so please don't call me a liar when i'm wrong
    1 Tournament Victory, 1 Tournament 2nd Place, 3 times Tournament Finalist, Champion of Youngbloods 2006, 3rd Place in Painting Contest,
    2 Awards for fairest player on Tournaments, so far my 40K career

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

A few clarifications.

1) Valkyries can most certainly move flat-out coming in from reserves. So yes, they can outflank/reserve move 24".

2) Yes, the Grey Knights can deep-strike out of a valkyrie any where along the path (straight line) that it traveled. This is clearly stated on page 56 of the IG codex. The rule is called: Grav Chute Insertion. In addition if they scatter, every model must take a dangerous terrain test.

3) No the Grey Knights may not assault after doing this as Grav Chute Insertion follows the rules for deepstrike with a few modifiers as specified in the IG codex.
    Last edited by Hockeyman506; August 15th, 2010 at 19:17.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

Also, this isn't relevant with the Valkyrie or Vendetta (since they're not Open-Topped), but you most certainly can assault after disembarking from an open-topped transport that moved. (as per p.70 of the main rulebook). Ork and Dark Eldar players make use of this quite often.
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Stradius View Post
    Also, this isn't relevant with the Valkyrie or Vendetta (since they're not Open-Topped), but you most certainly can assault after disembarking from an open-topped transport that moved. (as per p.70 of the main rulebook). Ork and Dark Eldar players make use of this quite often.
    I must have read over that bit, so disregard what I said on that point.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-ok so Valkyrie's or Vendetta's can out flank using grey knights
    -they can also move flat out 24' after deepstiking or was it out-flanking?
    -and grey knights can GCI any point with 24' in a stright line but can not assault
    so does that mean they can rapid fire after GCI?
    -also if they scatter they take dangerous terrain tests.

im writing clif notes when i play so i dont forget important parts XD

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast