Looking to possibly start Salamanders, need advice. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

1 (x1)

Looking to possibly start Salamanders, need advice.

I'm looking into getting into 40k and I'm looking at Salamanders. I have AoBR and both the Ork and SM codexs. I kinda like the idea of fire and flame throwers, I looked at Orks but their Burnas seemed a little fragile, having to rely on a battlewagon to really be effective. And although Space Marines do not really appeal to me, I am drawn by the green and the blacks with the flames that make Salamanders. I am also drawn to non-horde armies so Salamanders look awesome, I particularly like the Forgeworld additions as well.

But where do I go from here? Should I build on my space marines from AoBR, file down the arrow on the shoulder pad or replace it all together? The battle force looks good, I know tactical marines in rhinos make the backbone of any Space Marine army, but I'm not sure how useful scouts will be. Assault Marines can fill a role until I get more points in other things. He'stan is a must with his ability to upgrade weapons and still be a bad a--. Thanks for the input guys.

2. Remove Advertisements

12 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

185 (x4)

The AoBR marines are perfectly usable sources of marines, though they're not very flexible in terms of wargear. When playing as Salamanders, anything heavy on flame/melta weapons is a good bet, although not so much the Fast Attack choices. Scout marines can be effective, but you've got to use them as skirmishers instead of cheaper tactical marines. They're also a fluffy addition to any army list.

It's hard to go wrong with adding a battleforce or 2 to your list. From there, I suggest considering some Land Speeders and Dreadnoughts. You should also look into a couple Devastators kits, to give you a pair of multimeltas for your tactical squads. (and other heavy weapons options, too) A lot of folks like to use some Assault Terminators with their Salamanders force, but that takes a Land Raider as well to use effectively...and you're looking at something like 500 points on a single unit and it's transport, which is crazy expensive.

Another options I've been working on personally is to hybrid a Vulcan list with a Bike list - bikes make heavy use of flamer/melta weapons anyways, so they'll synergize well with Vulcan in the list. The only major concern is a ride for Vulcan - either a command squad in a rhino, or 5 man tactical in a razerback is my pick so far.

+ Reply to Thread