New Veterans combo - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x3)

New Veterans combo

I've been giving this some thought recently as I want to find a combination of weapons for my veteran squads that isn't just chimelta spam. I've been trying to think of options that are versatile, effective, viable, and (to a certain extent) fluffy. Someone put me onto this one.

Veteran Squad:
    Two meltas
    Heavy Flamer
    Chimera/multi laser and heavy flamer

Cost:165 (off the top of my head, my codex isn't to hand)

Now, I think this could be a good one for the following reasons.

One, for tank busting, two meltas at BS4 is generally more than sufficient. When you factor in 'Bring it Down', they shouldn't have any trouble at all, even with a Land Raider.

Two, for hordes. Two heavy flamers is nothing to be sniffed at, and can make a serious mess of just about anything short of a monstrous creature or a tank.This could kill maybe 8 or 9 orks with an average number of hits, wipe out a squad of fire warriors... heavy flamers are awesome!

Three for Power armour/Terminator armour or eqivilant. While two meltas may not seem to be as good as three, heavy flamers kill marines just as well. If you really want to do the maths, you can find that a heavy flamer should kill at the very least the same amount of space marines as a melta gun (i.e. one), but it has the potential to kill many more with a bit of luck.

Ok, so at the end of the day all I'm really putting forward is to swap out one of the traditional three meltas for a heavy flamer, but it gives a combination that is different, fluffy (it suits combat engineers down to the ground!) and (to my mind at least) effective. I guess you could even take it further by adding doctrines, like demolitions to the squad.

So, does anyone here use, or has used this combination? I'd love to hear peoples views on this.

2500 points of Empire for ToXG: Points painted for month 4: 0 Points painted overall: 510

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

184 (x5)

Though about it for the longest time and I've seen the combo before. But just the cost of a heavy flamer on infantry is nuts! Four time the cost of a standard flamer just isn't worth it for a little extra kick to me.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

Given that most vet squads will be in chimeras, you already have a heavy flamer handy if the situation calls for it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x3)

Cheers for the relpys guys

@Hockeyman

I agree that heavy flamers are over-priced, but I reckon that they are worth it. The extra S and AP are well worth it to upp your kills. Take fire warriors for instance, with a normal flamer you might be making 3 or 4 kills, but with a heavy flamer you could easily double that. Heavy flamers can easily earn their points back so to my mind are worth it.

@IronWeevil
    Two are better than one any time especially when we're talking flamers
    2500 points of Empire for ToXG: Points painted for month 4: 0 Points painted overall: 510

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

I wouldn't mentally combine the Chimera HF with the passengers' HF. The way I see it, the proper way to employ a Veteran HF is to have them get out, run the Chimera forward in a tank shock to push the enemy squad together in a bunch, then walk up and torch with the Vet HF. I'm not saying the Chimera's HF is a bad idea by itself, but it probably won't be able to shoot after the tank-shock maneuver.

Meanwhile, the unit does little that a 4-flamer PCS wouldn't. Both are essentially suicide units and the PCS' additional hits from more templates usually compensates for the reduced stats.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x3)

I guess you guys are right. I was just thinking about possible options that aren't three meltas, flamers or plasma guns which is what I normally use. If there were any possible combinations then I would use them.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ChadMS View Post
    I guess you guys are right. I was just thinking about possible options that aren't three meltas, flamers or plasma guns which is what I normally use. If there were any possible combinations then I would use them.
    I don't think that mixing a regular flamer into a squad packing 2 meltaguns is intrinsically bad. I don't think that the extra strength and ap is worth the extra cost for a heavy flamer. Personally, I am more inclined to keep my squads in their transports, so the addition of a flamer would be less valuable to me. Depending on your local metagame there may be other factors that may bias the decision one way or another. I still think experimentation has some merit, and adding a template to the squad would add some flexibility. If you do try it, let us know how it works for you.
    Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

I think you should do what you want to do. If a weapon looks cool, or fits what idea you have for your IG army, then you should use it. Forget what other people are telling you is pound for pound "better" than another weapon. "Better" is in the eye of the beholder.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ChadMS
    As a crazy idea, why not go old school, with ordinary infantry squads in Chimeras? Spend a couple turns shooting heavy & special weapons out the hatch, maybe with some HK missiles, too, then go mobile to grab objectives and such. It should work well enough.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    As a crazy idea, why not go old school, with ordinary infantry squads in Chimeras? Spend a couple turns shooting heavy & special weapons out the hatch, maybe with some HK missiles, too, then go mobile to grab objectives and such. It should work well enough.
    Ahhh, that takes me back all the way to the last codex I would ceratinly use it if I could, but alas, my numbers of chimeras are limited. I have enough to mount up Al'Rahems platoon though.

And just for the hell of it, I wonder how many squads in chimeras you could fit in a 1500 point army. Maybe a dozen?

+ Reply to Thread