Would a Snerhem Sepps Chapter ever... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Would a Snerhem Sepps Chapter ever...

Defect to the t'au? I was wondering this because i read that imperial guard have defected and joined the tau empire but I am wondering if a space marine chapter ever would. It certainly would be controversial but I think it could happen.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

I can't see it happening. A flipping ton of resources get poured into ensuring the loyalty and dedication of the Space Marines, even Chaos has a hard time turning a typical marine, and they've got advantages that no puny Xenos race could ever match.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

I don't think a whole chapter would just up and leave the Imperium and go and join the Tau - I mean, when most Legions turned to Chaos, they had to root out the loyalists within their ranks then. And even if they didn't really have any, pretty much every Legion (save one) had to off their Chaplains at the least.

I also think that, while it's quite unlikely that it would happen, there would be some scope for a one or two, or even a handful of Marines to defect, given circumstances extreme enough to overcome their fanatical loyalty.
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Thinks he's a big deal rafis117's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x4)

Falling to Chaos is much easier - Chaos has all sorts of holds on humanity; we're at least potentially psychic (enough for them to talk to us), have decades if not centuries to whisper to Marines, and frankly are better at persuading. The Chaos Gods offer things nobody else can (Horus, for example, was able to kill the Emperor, sort of, with the gifts of Chaos), and with Tzeentch and Slaanesh, are far better at offering these rewards. Usually it's the older Space Marines - ones who have rebuilt personalities after their indoctrination and have just gotten tired of centuries of killing.

Tau... have nothing to offer Marines. Marines have everything they need and are indoctrinated in all kinds of ways. Imperial Guard forces are usually left to fend for themselves, and ones in the Damocles Gulf may have felt that the Tau could provide better protection, or their leaders benefited or something. The Tau just simply don't have holds like that on the Space Marines.
    Terminator armor going critical would be like Three Mile Island only very, VERY angry, and carrying a hammer.
    LO rules in a nutshell: Don't post unit costs, be polite, rep posts containing of win.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

I'm with Rafis. If nothing else, joining the Tau would be a betrayal of a Marine's own species; the Tau would probably use him to kill humans, not some nothing-species they can handle themselves. To fight the Corpse God in exchange for power, freedom or simple continued existence, yes. To betray all humanity in exchange for nothing, no.

Two more points. One, Tau don't really need Space Marines thanks to their battlesuit technology. And two, Tau are trying to keep a low profile while they build up their strength sufficiently to survive against the Imperium. If they sanctioned a renegade Marine Chapter then their extermination would suddenly become a top priority for the Imperium. I doubt they want that kind of attention.

So, Marines have no reason to join Tau and Tau have no reason to accept them.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    470 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by rafis117 View Post
    Usually it's the older Space Marines - ones who have rebuilt personalities after their indoctrination and have just gotten tired of centuries of killing.
    Ha! Now I have this picture in my head of a Space Marine retirees retreat run by the Tau! All the old marines being pushed around in wheelchairs through the pleasant gardens... Maybe the Tau could use that as a bit of leverage.

Quote Originally Posted by rafis117 View Post
    Imperial Guard forces are usually left to fend for themselves, and ones in the Damocles Gulf may have felt that the Tau could provide better protection, or their leaders benefited or something.
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Guard regiments that defected to the Tau didn't so much defect as were caught in Tau space when the other forces retreated. They were probably offered the choice of serving with the Tau or being wiped out, and unsurprisingly decided that living for a bit longer was preferable.

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    Tau are trying to keep a low profile while they build up their strength sufficiently to survive against the Imperium. If they sanctioned a renegade Marine Chapter then their extermination would suddenly become a top priority for the Imperium. I doubt they want that kind of attention.
    Too true, but like I said, I doubt a whole chapter is going to defect at once. One or two marines at a time, though... it is theoretically possible, even if it is rather unlikely.
    Rabbit; Our Tau community has the talent of figuring out how to turn a feather into a timebomb. Macgyver would be jealous.
    8people; Honey, why is my fluffwars story your shopping list?

Thinks he's a big deal rafis117's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x4)

If, Lyuben, the OP was some super-disguised way of asking us for help with fluff to describe why Tau and Space Marines happen to be working together, that isn't unknown. Tau are one of the more preferable allies under pressure - them or Eldar. Of course, massacring the Xenos is ultimately preferable, but sometimes not feasible.

Working together on a permanent basis? Don't paint too many Marines tan, maroon, and white anytime soon.
    Terminator armor going critical would be like Three Mile Island only very, VERY angry, and carrying a hammer.
    LO rules in a nutshell: Don't post unit costs, be polite, rep posts containing of win.

+ Reply to Thread