Opinion needed on Devastator Sq loadout - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    240 (x4)

Opinion needed on Devastator Sq loadout

Hmmm I'm kind of at an impasse in fitting out the devastator Squad for my new BA army...

I'm putting in one devastator squad and since I'm pretty low on long range anti armour, I'm putting in two lascannons but for the remaining two I'm doubting, hard.
    Either I put in two plasma cannons as I figure they're not too shabby on light vehicles and they can take out heavy infantry with their blast.
    Or I drop one PC and replace it with a Heavy Bolter to take out the infantry...

It's been a few years since I actually played a battle and I haven't played the 5th edition yet (busy, busy life...), so I was wondering which would be the more tactically sound thing to do. Risk two marines blowing themselves up with the PC's during the game or trade of some firepower for safety in the for of a heavy bolter?

Whaddayathink?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x2)

i think that in order to be effective, you need to coordinate the heavy weapons between your devastator squad and tactical squads since you get one in ever tactical squad. also, whatever vehicles you might have as well. if you have no other anti-tank, lascannons could be useful in the devastator squad (though, i've found in the past that all eggs in one basket is not always ideal. if the opponent focuses on and wipes out your devastators, you'll be stuck on long range anti-tank). you could also spread the anti-tank among your tactical squads and vehicles. personally i've found in the past that a 4 plasma cannon loadout on a dev squad is particularly nasty. there will definitely be some overheats, but with what enemies you'll be killing every turn, the overheat is pretty much negligible. in any case, it's hard to set up a devastator squad without knowing what the rest of the army looks like

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Two missile launchers isnt too shabby. Krak for light vehicles and frag for infantry. I've used a four missile launcher squad with fair success against a Tyranid army, and its cheaper. With "gets hot!" failed saves, could you remove another marine as the casualy and shoot the plasma next turn ? Seems reasonable someone else would pick up the weapon if the user goes down.
    Jager bombs. Very efficient at wiping out friend or foe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

120 (x2)

a gets hot wound has to be taken on the firing model, and nobody else

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    240 (x4)

Thanks for the quick responses guys!

I think I'll go with the two PC's as I don't have enough Missile Launchers to fill up the squad and my lascannon guys already have their arms and backpacks glued on. :-/ Of course they could be pried off but I've got only one missile launcher and two heavy bolters available to replace them.

I've got some anti-tank in the army but I felt that a devastator squad could balance it out a bit over the army.

Basically it's not a tournament army, just 2500-3000 points thrown together from a few of the many old models I have and some newly bought cool squads and vehicles. A mate of mine is (re)building his Space Wolf army and together we're planning on taking on some other mates with a Chaos army in a few months.

My army loadout so far is (roughly)
    Captain in Terminator armour
    Sang. Priest in Terminator armour
    Reclusiarch in Terminator Armour
    5 CC terminators
    -Land Raider Crusader

Honour Guard with Jumpacks
    Death Comp. with Jump Packs
    Lemartes

Death Comp Dread
    terminator squad (10) with two Assault Cannons
    Tactical Squad with Multi-Melta, melta gun and Combi melta (melt!)

Razorback with twin LC's

A Baal Predator

2 Dreadnoughts

Devastator Squad - LC's and PC's

Possible units
    A scout squad but I don't know because I never like liked the models much. ^^
    Another tactical squad

Thinks he's a big deal rafis117's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

105 (x4)

If you take PCs and LCs, remember that they have vastly different ranges. If you combat-squad them, it could be very effective, but otherwise you run the risk of only shooting with half of your expensive weapons at a given time.
    Terminator armor going critical would be like Three Mile Island only very, VERY angry, and carrying a hammer.
    LO rules in a nutshell: Don't post unit costs, be polite, rep posts containing of win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x1)

3 Missile and 1 LasCannon is my favorite AT build. Basically always Signum the Las to maximize hitting power. The launchers are also versatile vs hordes by using frags.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I currently run a 2x las 2x ML devastator squad in my 1500 pt BA army. I really do think this is the best option if your sticking to a 5man squad. Although I have to say i tend not to use them to pop heavy armor (thats done by a drop podding furiso dread). They are very good at killing demon princes in two or so turns.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually run 4 ml which gives me anti tank with the ability to use the krak on marines to allow no saves and frag for the hord armys... mixing the HB with LC is bad idea I think.. go either anti infantry or tank, don't mix the two in a devistator squad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't mix the HB and LC together go either anti infantry or anti tank otherwise your going to waste shoots.. I recommend the 4 ML combo... kills anything...
    Last edited by 13thCompany; September 2nd, 2010 at 17:46. Reason: sorry i posted the same thing twice, phone lag

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast