Apocalypse or not to Apocalypse - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x7)

Apocalypse or not to Apocalypse

My sons and I picked up Warhammer 40k about 9 months ago and my 11 year old has a pretty good Space Marine army together. Now he wants to know if he is Apocalypse ready so to speak. I don't know much about Apocalypse battles, so I figured if I asked you guys, the experts (well some of you ), you could tell if he's ready army wise. here is his list:
    3 Captains
    Chapter Master
    Marneus Calgar
    Librarian
    47 Tactical Marines
    1 Razorback
    1 Vindicator
    2 Whirlwinds
    1 Predator
    2 Dreadnaughts
    1 Drop Pod
    6 Scouts w/ scout sgt. Telion
    5 Scout Snipers
    7 Scout Assault
    5 Vanguard Veterans
    11 Terminators
    5 Devastators
    With preselected wargear he has 4206 points total. Now I know that a good ole Baneblade wouldn't hurt; I know that. I just need to know if he is ok to try it. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

By the Silver Sword! Stormchaser's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x3)

Apocalypse is mainly for fun, rather than anything else, and it adds in a bunch of extra rules and units which use those rules. As he has over 3000pts he can play an Apocalypse game, as the basic rules are still the same. However my advice as a gamer (and ex-GW employee) is to take him to a local store/club's apocalypse game, rather than trying it on his own. If this isn't possible, then I wouldn't suggest playing it just yet, as it will likely turn out to be just a big game of 40k and not as truly awesome as Apocalypse should be.

Also, a bit of advice on the list itself. I'd add an extra 3 tactical marines to have an even number of 50, demote the Chapter Master to a captain (He's got Marneus Calgar and so doesn't really need a second Chapter master.Also he can make use of the Masters of the Chapter formation in the Apocalypse book) and add another 4 terminators for a total of 15, which is a scary prospect)

Hope that helps
    Codex: Legion Astartes - I am in need of Beta/proof readers and play testers
    The Primarch Project
    A Hero is no braver than the ordinary man. He is just brave five minutes longer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

i love apocalypse, the thrill of your vortex grenades sucking your enemie's general in the vortex is fun, but it has to be done correctly, i've seen good ones and bad ones
    good ones:
    two giant 40k armies clashing over a large (as in 2 or more tables) battlefield using the strategic assets to optimize destruction and super heavies blowing huge chunks out of each others armies and flyers streaking overhead.
    There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who cannot.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Bad: Start setting up the table for 13k points a side (bout 80% proxied/unpainted, blech!) about three hours before the store closes...we didn't finish two turns. What a joke...and they'd been hype-ing it up for weeks.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Yeah decent sized apoc matches needs a full day AT LEAST.

Our first game was 20k per side, we started setting up at 8am and by midnight we'd just finished two turns and one player had such a bad headache from it he started puking!

I'd recommend getting everything up to deployment ready the night before, if you can.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know what about other GW but the one I had my Apocalypse game in was really poor. There just wasn't enough space and we spent most of the time explaining rules and our units to the younger players (not that I don't like to explain things it just gets annoying after about 3hrs). After that each big game I've had was either round mine or mates' house and there aren't many better things than beer, pizza, nice apocalypse game and decent music combined :] Getting a bit sidetracked there but anyway, the force is big enough to play Apocalypse games and if it's prepared properly e.g. like realitycheque mentioned deploying the night before is a good idea, it makes for an excellent day.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by realitycheque View Post
    Yeah decent sized apoc matches needs a full day AT LEAST.

Our first game was 20k per side, we started setting up at 8am and by midnight we'd just finished two turns and one player had such a bad headache from it he started puking!

I'd recommend getting everything up to deployment ready the night before, if you can.
    Dear God, are you serious? That's aweful!

Personaly I'm not a huge fan of Apocolypse. The titans and shit ruin the game in my opinion and are totally unbalanced. I refuse to play in games unless both sides have an equal number of the super powerful stuff. But whatever, its still pretty fun if you get a good group together. If everyone knows their army well games can actualy be done in a pretty reasonable amount of time as long as people don't take 50 years to do their turns.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Guthbrand View Post
    Dear God, are you serious? That's aweful!
    To be fair, he is an utter wimp And really, a 40000 point battle is not what I'd recommend for your first game! We just wanted to use every model we owned

Some superheavies are unbalancing, but the majority of them are OK as long as the opponent takes stuff to deal with them - AV14 is still the highest, so anything that can deal with a land raider can deal with a superheavy if you get enough of them (and for 500 points - the cheapest superheavy I can think of - you can buy a LOT of anti tank)
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x7)

My son won't be playing any super heavies for a long time because it would be a cold day in Hades before I could afford them! Forgeworld wants 235 english pounds for one Titan and that doesn't include arms! After arms it and shipping, I'd be looking at close to $400 Canadian Dollars! Wow!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

403 (x8)

Well the Baneblade variant box is a lot cheaper but is still a worthy superheavy so maybe you'll just have to wait til a mild, breezy day in hades
    My Deathwatch Campaign

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast