Space Marine Army list- Help with strategy? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Space Marine Army list- Help with strategy?

Hey everybody.

Ive been playing 40K for a little over a year, but i still haven't shaken off the noob phase. Here is a list of my space marine army, the "Frontline Saints". Any suggestions on how to beef it up or where to go with stratagy?

x26 Tactical Marines
    x5 Scouts
    x5 Assault Marines
    x10 Terminators
    x1 Capitan
    x1 Terminator Librarian
    x1 Terminatior Chaplain
    x1 Chapter Master
    x1 Thunderfire Cannon
    x1 Predator (full las cannons)
    x1 Rhino

Thanks!

"Thou shalt not tease an Inquisitor with "look Sir-Heretics!""
    " Thou shalt not shout "Thongs for the Thong God!" in front of the Dark Eldar"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, and 1 Dreadnaught and Drop Pod. totally spaced out there. thanks again.
    "Thou shalt not tease an Inquisitor with "look Sir-Heretics!""
    " Thou shalt not shout "Thongs for the Thong God!" in front of the Dark Eldar"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't take all 10 terminators in our low point games ;P

Aside from that, the help I got on this site basically said to either load up the tactical squads in rhinos or do something with spamming razorbacks. You also gotta fill out that assault squad.

When I get more time to paint marines again, I'm adding a drop pod with a homing beacon (or w/e it's called) squad, and then some TH/SS termies, figure I could use that to pod in a squad, then provide a safe drop for those termies... you could try that too.
    Last edited by 40kfanatic; September 23rd, 2010 at 04:03.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

I'm assuming this is a list of the models you own and not a list you intend to play right. That's a lot of HQ choices.

A good starter stratergy that shouldn't be to hard with the models you have is the classic hammer & anvil.

1) Some stationary, shooty units to sit on the back of the board and just blast away all game.
    2) Some killy, close combat troops to take the fight to the enemy.

For your HQ's, I'd go for a mix of the Chaplain and either Librarian or Chapter master, mix and match according to need. What would be more use that game, orbital bombardment of psychic powers?

x26 Tactical Marines: I'd get some bitz and convert a few of them to devistators, a few missile launchers combined with your Laz Pred and Thunder fire cannon will provide exelent fire surpport. Just sit them at the back of the board and shoot the crap out of anything in range. For best use of massed fire power I recomend converging your fire power onto a single target untill it's completley dead. Everything taking a pot shot at a different unit and only getting a few wounds each will limit the effectivnes of your fire surpport, better to wipe out a whole unit than inflict a few losses onto multiple units then leaving them to keep advancing.

x10 Terminators and 1 Dreadnaught and Drop Pod: Devide the termies into two units. Maybe invest in a Landraider if you have the $$$, untill then, deep strike them in if you can, move them up as fast as you can otherwise, get them onto your opponants side of the board. Move the Termies and Dread in a pack and sweep from one end of the board to the other. Keeping them together will make them harder to reduce with shooting and let you overwhelme one unit at a time and move on as quickly as possible instead of getting tar-pitted for 3 turns on a large squad of weaklings.

x5 Assault Marines: Maybe invest in another 5, small units of assault troops tend to get reduced with shooting before they can be of any use. Use them as skirmishers, use their speed and rush the enemy, force them to devide their attantion so they can't focus on the advancing hammer or the fire surpport of the anvil. If they have to spend a turn dealing with these they can't move into position to deal with your main force.

x26 Tactical Marines & 1 Rhino: Set these ahead of your fire surpport units. They can serve 3 purposes. 1, defending your fire surpport from on coming attack, a fast moving enemy that rushes your fire surpport before it can do it's thing would be bad. A couple units of tac marines should be able to block the path of attackers long enough for the Termies and Dread to come from behind. 2, They can be moved up to surpport the Termies and Dread as needed, offering mid-range fire surpport and usefull in moping up straglers that escaped the main force. 3, As the game moves on they can be moved into position to seize cleared objectives. Best to combat squad them at the beginning of the game so they can seize multiple objectives if need be, use the squad in the Rhino to make the turn 5 rush and grab that open objective.

This is about 90% percent personal prefrence but I hope it helps.

+ Reply to Thread