2 Killer Wolf Guard Terminator setups - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

2 Killer Wolf Guard Terminator setups

I've been amazed by how cheap and versatile wolf guard teams are, especially the Terminators. Here are my ideas for 2 builds, and I was wondering what you thought of them:

BUILD 1

1 Terminator w/chain fist and heavy flamer
    1 Terminator w/power fist & combi-flamer (or hvy flamer if able)
    1 Terminator w/dual wolf claws
    1 Terminator w/wolf claw and combi-melta
    1 Power Armor w/combi-melta
    1 Power Armor w/combi-melta, melta bombs
    Drop pod

This build doesn't break the bank, and it's amazingly powerful and versatile for its cost. The 2 guys with power armor are for extra wounds. You could also use a 5th terminator, if you like. If you're taking a full 10 man squad (to distribute wolf guard to other units) then give the unit a second heavy flamer.

BUILD 2

Ragnar Blackmane
    5 Terminators w/dual wolf claws
    Land Raider Redeemer w/extra armor

The land raider will soften the enemy up, and the Terminators with Ragnar will unleash a ridiculous amount of damage against the enemy. On the charge, on average, you'll be getting 25 wolf claw attacks with init and strength 5, that re-roll to hit or wound (your choice), and ignore armor saves. That isn't even counting Ragnar's own formidable attacks.

If you really want to go all out, you could give them a Land Raider Crusader, a Wolf Priest, and 2 more Terminators w/dual lightning claws. Now that's a unit that can break anything.

What do you think?

Last edited by mynameisgrax; September 22nd, 2010 at 22:12.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

What's pretty nasty is:

Ragnar
    Wolf Priest
    10x Wolf Guards - 10x combi-meltas, 5-10x Power weapons
    LRR - Multi-melta

Terribly nasty in combat and guaranteed to wipe out almost anything it charges.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

My friend who plays space wolves uses the second set up more or less identical to what you wrote down and it is formidable. I play eldar and truthfully I don't have much that can take that squad out in CC. One time in an Apocalypse game he took them up against the Phoenix Court of Khaine...long story short his squad died not even getting to land a single blow but in a regular game they are not something many armies will have that can take them head on in CC especially if you equip them with Storm Shields...God how I hate Storm shields!

He doesn't get to use the squad very much because I don't let him get close however our other player who uses Tyranids doesn't really have a choice but to go running head first into them but that squad just chews threw anything that gets thrown at it.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Farseer Macleod View Post
    He doesn't get to use the squad very much because I don't let him get close however our other player who uses Tyranids doesn't really have a choice but to go running head first into them but that squad just chews threw anything that gets thrown at it.
    If there's one thing I've learned it's that Tyranids can easily handle deathstar units. I once went up against a Blood Angels army with 20 FNP TH/SS assault terminators (and Mephiston!) with my Tyranids and beat them (battle report here (2000pts Tyranids vs. Their Toughest Challenge?)). I then took almost the same Blood Angel army (with 20 FNP assault termies, Mephiston, and 3 squads of 4 missile launcher devastators) against another tyranid army and lost (battle report here (2500 Practice 'Ard Boyz Match for Semi-finals - Blood Angels vs Tyranids)). Tyranids have the tools to handle deathstar units. They've got enough "roadblock" units in tervigon-produce termagants to tarpit them and enough cc-capability to wipe them out (ever faced 20x prefered enemy poisoned genestealers? Not much will survive against them....including assault terminators).
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by jy2 View Post
    If there's one thing I've learned it's that Tyranids can easily handle deathstar units. I once went up against a Blood Angels army with 20 FNP TH/SS assault terminators (and Mephiston!) with my Tyranids and beat them (battle report here (2000pts Tyranids vs. Their Toughest Challenge?)). I then took almost the same Blood Angel army (with 20 FNP assault termies, Mephiston, and 3 squads of 4 missile launcher devastators) against another tyranid army and lost (battle report here (2500 Practice 'Ard Boyz Match for Semi-finals - Blood Angels vs Tyranids)). Tyranids have the tools to handle deathstar units. They've got enough "roadblock" units in tervigon-produce termagants to tarpit them and enough cc-capability to wipe them out (ever faced 20x prefered enemy poisoned genestealers? Not much will survive against them....including assault terminators).
    This is why my friend who plays Space wolves always targets genestealers first...although it is that very reason that our tyranid player has been trying to play with out his genestealers. The tryanid player is an experienced player but he has only started playing tyranids in the last few of months and is still learning how to use them to their fullest extent although he isnt doing a bad job with them and he's getting better every game.
    He has now announced his genestealers are coming back into his lists...and now that he has learned to use everything else and not rely on his Genestealers I can see him going to be difficult to beat.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgrax View Post
    I've been amazed by how cheap and versatile wolf guard teams are, especially the Terminators. Here are my ideas for 2 builds, and I was wondering what you thought of them:

BUILD 1

1 Terminator w/chain fist and heavy flamer
    1 Terminator w/power fist & combi-flamer (or hvy flamer if able)
    1 Terminator w/dual wolf claws
    1 Terminator w/wolf claw and combi-melta
    1 Power Armor w/combi-melta
    1 Power Armor w/combi-melta, melta bombs
    Drop pod

This build doesn't break the bank, and it's amazingly powerful and versatile for its cost. The 2 guys with power armor are for extra wounds. You could also use a 5th terminator, if you like. If you're taking a full 10 man squad (to distribute wolf guard to other units) then give the unit a second heavy flamer.

BUILD 2

Ragnar Blackmane
    5 Terminators w/dual wolf claws
    Land Raider Redeemer w/extra armor

The land raider will soften the enemy up, and the Terminators with Ragnar will unleash a ridiculous amount of damage against the enemy. On the charge, on average, you'll be getting 25 wolf claw attacks with init and strength 5, that re-roll to hit or wound (your choice), and ignore armor saves. That isn't even counting Ragnar's own formidable attacks.

If you really want to go all out, you could give them a Land Raider Crusader, a Wolf Priest, and 2 more Terminators w/dual lightning claws. Now that's a unit that can break anything.

What do you think?

Bring along a SS to abuse wound allocation.

+ Reply to Thread