Librarium Online Forums banner

Vanguard Veterans/Howling Banshees

617 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Ravendove 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Just played an eldar army yesterday and the howling banshees made mincemeat of alot of my choices.

I have seen that we have vanguard vets (which could be equipped to be similiar) but at double the points cost. Other than just sheer weight of fire is there any easy way to dispatch these pesky elites?

#2 ·
In CC Banshees are deadly to any and all other armies especially when accompanied by a Doom Seer (Farseer with Doom phychic power) Striking at Initative 10 thanks to their masks nothing I know of can match it and their masks negate anything that affect their initative. Not even the tyranid lash whips slow these bad girls down.

Your only way to beat them is shower them in a barrage of fire or to out last them with invunerable saves such as Storm shields.

#3 ·
TH/SS assault terminators is practically an answer to everything. But the best way to kill them is to draw them out with a sacrificial unit. If they take the bait and charge your unit, they should wipe it out and next turn they should be dead from your concentrated fire if done right.

#6 ·
What? How did Howling Banshees even get that close to you?
A Wave Serpent seems like the most likely answer. I use multiple Wave serpents in my games and my opponents have a hard time knowing what is in each one.

T3 with 4+ save, even Bolters will make mincemeat of out them. On average, a 10-man Tactical Squad will statistically wipe out a 5-man (woman?) Banshee squad. Not to mention Heavy Flamers, Storm Bolters, Heavy Bolters...
Yes Banshees are fragile as are nearly everything in the Eldar codex. Bolters will nearly kill anything Eldar. The point of Banshees is that if they get into combat they are deadly especially if there is a Farseer casting doom nearby. And who said there was only 5 Banshees? I always take a full 10-man (Woman) Squad od Banshees.

#9 ·
In the Vanilla Codex you'll probably want either Sternguard or TH/SS termies. Sternies can shoot 'em up from 30", while the TH/SS will weather the attack and be able to fight back.
In the SW codex, you'll be well represented by Long Fangs. A unit with 2 Lascannons and 3 HB should be able to damage transports and then rip them up with AP4 shots. TH/SS termies are much more expensive in the codex. TWCs with storm shields could also work, but they are expensive.
In the BA codex, TH/SS termies + a Stormraven are good. You can quickly get in range and assault them. The stormraven also works well for transport popping, what with being able to take a TL-Multi-Melta (I love TL-MMs)

Also, it's worth noting that, like burna boyz, Dreadnoughts make them useless. T3 power weapons are hilariously impotent against AV12. That's why I generally keep a DN around in a pod to try and CC units like that. The difference between burna boyz and Banshees is that burna boyz can have a nob with a powerklaw, while Banshees get an Exarch who still can't hit AV12. So yeah, Dreadnoughts ftw. Stick a juicy unit for the banshees to charge and then counter-charge with the dreadnought.

Of course, a smart Eldar player won't put themselves in that position, but then again, a smart marine player won't leave a unit open to banshee assault that isn't defended by something that can pop Banshees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.