Need some help choosing a color scheme... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x2)

Need some help choosing a color scheme...

I have about 1000 points of IG now, and I want to get started painting them, but I really have no idea what color scheme to use. I like the default Cadian scheme in the codex (and the models I have are Cadians), but the problem is that it's a bit too similar to my Eldar army (Anything that isn't an aspect warrior in my Eldar army is Bleached Bone with Devlan Mud, and Snot Green, which isn't a far cry from Commando Khaki and Catachan Green).

I want it to look like an actual army, meaning no bright colors, and mostly utilitarian. The basic question here is what do you guys use?

The enemy's gate is down

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x3)

Personally, I use a white and grey-blue snow camo pattern for my regular guardsmen.
    "The sergeant major asked me what my job is. I told him it's to do what I am told. He gave me a medal. I like the Imperial Guard."
    "Innocentia Probat Nihil"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x3)

White and blue make for a distinctive scheme.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Most any combination of darker colors will give a 'military' look. I use medium browns and dark reds, which not only works but is fluffy for my list: "perfect camo to blend in with the dead Guardsmen who went before". By starting with slightly brighter hues, I can do a lot of washing and inking to save effort on the detail work.

For something utilitarian, I saw a Guard army painted with dark grey armor, with a semigloss finish to give it a futuristic-composite look, along with some deep reds on the fabric and boots to provide a contrast. It carried over to his tanks well enough and allowed him to put an urban-camo theme on his Veterans for an easy, stand-out effect.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x2)

One thought I had was gray on the armor plates, with the jacket and pants being done in a camo pattern, but I've never done a camo pattern before. Is it a lot of work? Cause if it is, I'd probably do something simpler because there are a lot of guardsmen to paint...
    The enemy's gate is down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a codex gray, fortress gray, space wolves gray, and chaos black for cloth and boots. Black with gray highlights for the armor. I use gray and boltgun metal for the gun. Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My guardsmen are Dark Green flak (almost black) and Khaki pants and Dark brown boots, belts and accents. However, all my vehicles are camo (using similar colors, but adding 2 other lighter shades of green). Vehicle camo is not that difficult. I personally paint it with different stripes and blotches of the varying colors. I just try to keep a "pattern" by keeping similar colors together; I keep the dark brown splotches touching a dark green area and keep the lighter green touching the darker green. It's hard to explain, but actually pretty doable to paint.

I would not recommend doing camo for the normal guardsmen. I applaud you if you've got the time and dedication for doing that, but there's just too many models for me.

Good luck!
    General Van Rensaler
    Commander of the Cadian 713th
    "The Sledgehammer of the Emperor"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Stradius View Post
    Personally, I use a white and grey-blue snow camo pattern for my regular guardsmen.
    Heh, that sounds almost identical to my colour scheme.

Codex Grey and Ice Blue fatigues (grey highlighted with Fortress Grey, and the whole lot lightly drybrushed with Skull White), and Skull White Armour. Black belt, black boots. And Catachan Green weapons, because the Adeptus Munitorum sent out "standard issue", rather than "ice world issue".

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Lavallin
    Codex Grey and Ice Blue fatigues (grey highlighted with Fortress Grey, and the whole lot lightly drybrushed with Skull White), and Skull White Armour. Black belt, black boots. And Catachan Green weapons, because the Adeptus Munitorum sent out "standard issue", rather than "ice world issue".
    Wow, that's some serious effort. Highlights and drybrushing on a horde army? I do two colors for the uniform, metal for the guns and fiddly bits and then do a quick wash to make them not look cookie-cutter. Faces too, I guess, but your attention span definitely trumps mine.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

Have you seen Sandwyrm's series on colours?:
    the back 40k: A Little Color Theory - Part I

the back 40k: Color Question: Tau Battle Suits
    the back 40k: Color Question: Tau II, Electric Bluegaloo

If not they seem right up your street...

If you want them to look like they are wearing a real military uniform I'd pick a base earth colour like khaki or green and then a relevant accent colour to pick out the detail on the guns and armour and so on.
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast