Tips On How To Make A small But Effective Marine Army? (1500-1750pts) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    454 (x7)

Tips On How To Make A small But Effective Marine Army? (1500-1750pts)

My 3 armies are heavily converted and can be best described as the mutants, the aliens and the heretics. So Iím going to surprise my local gamers and a go for a slightly converted marine army.

However Iíd like to keep it small but without sacrificing any effectiveness. Also Iíd like to avoid using terminators as Iím hoping to use some of the FW per-heresy armour or convert my own like the ones here...

But I havenít played marines in years and the only elite force I can think of is wolf guard. Someone did suggest that I convert the pre-heresy marines with terminator weapons and use them as terminators.

Anyway Iíd be grateful for any advice or ideas on a small and effective astartes force?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want a specific pre-heresy army that could be quite effective. I would go with the Raven Guard, due to the drop site massacre during the heresy. Recruitment has been a problem for the army as well as getting new armor and they still use the old corvus armor (Mk VI).

This would allow you to make a small focused army and also links in with your mutant ideas as the primarch Corvax experimented with the gene seed after the drop site massacre and screwed the seed with lots of mutants running into battle.

There is also special characters in the Raven Guard:
    Shrike - Gives army fleet (same as eldar rule for extra movement)
    Korvydae (forgeworld) - Can take assault squads as troop choices and comes with a thunder hammer.

My army is all focused around hit and run attacks, so haev lots of scouts, bikes and assault squads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    454 (x7)

To be honest I would love to do a Raven Guard army due to 'Raven's Flight' being my favourite GW audio novel. But for the same reason I can't do a Deathwatch army is the fact black is a pain in the ass to paint to a good standard.

What about a full sanguinary guard army, how effective would that be?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The way i do it is to use the black primer paint, then extreme drybrush the model with codex grey or fortress gray, it gives a really good weather look and breaks up the black quite well. I will try and post some pictures.

I would like to point out I am not an amazing painter but this method has worked well enough for me.

I agree about Ravens Flight audio novel, it does rock and i liked the Raven Guard before that and found that out as a supplement, so trying to base my army around that last ditch assault style army mixed in with the forgeworld Korvydae model. First test for it is on monday so fingers crossed I destroy the imperium of man that is the mech of imperial guard.

+ Reply to Thread