Assault Marines - Jump or Not? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    720 (x8)

Assault Marines - Jump or Not?

So, I've decided to boost my Raven Guard lists close-combat ability by including a squad of 10 Assault Marines... Now the only question left is: Jump Packs or Drop Pod? In case it matters the rest of the list is a few Scout squads, a couple of Tactical squads in drop pods and Shrike with Vanguard Vets.

No, don't say "Rhino", because thats not an option in this list. Also, no, don't say "don't take Assault Marines" 'cause thats also not an option now. My intention is to build a Raven Guard close-combat list with Fleet marines. I don't really care if its not top-notch competitive, because its more like a building/painting/modeling project.

Last edited by Polaria; October 21st, 2010 at 16:15.
    Revenant Moon Necrons: (W/L/D) 0/1/0 (6th edition: 13/2/2)(5th edition: 14/6/4)(3rd edition Codex: 16/4/7)
    XIX Legion: (W/L/D) 0/0/0 (5th edition: 14/12/2)(5th edition Codex: 4/3/0)
    Black Legion: (W/L/D) 1/0/0 (6th edition: 2/3/0)
    Something Wicked... Reikwald Beastmen: (W/L/D) 10/4/1

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

being a raven guard player myself, I'll tell you the best way is to keep the jump packs. Biggest reason is that you could jump 12 inches, fleet up to 6 inches, and then assault 6 inches. Making it 24 inches at most assault range or 19 inches at least. Not only that, if your vanguard get killed, Shrike now has another jump trooper squad to join up.

Painting/modeling wise, jump packs looks cooler then the regular bagpacks anyways.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

I'd go with the jump pack AMs, pair them with Shrike and have the Vanguard do their 'heroic intervention' specialty. Locator Beacons on the Drop Pods would give the Vans an easy ride.

For what it's worth, the list you describe is dangerously lacking in ranged combat options.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

I say AM should go with jump packs. If you are taking a transport for assault troops, well, they better be able to assault out of it, or else they will look silly after getting out... So IMHO, assault marines can go into a Crusader, perhaps some Forgeworld stuff, but not Rhinos... Unless they act as a guard for a Psyker perhaps...

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Without jump packs Assault Marines are just a tactical squad with no range, and an extra CC weapon. The only time I would ever remove them is if for some reason I wanted them in a Land Raider.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

+ Reply to Thread