Why are Servitors so darned expensive? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why are Servitors so darned expensive?

I've got a Techmarine that I've assembled and primed, and considered using as part of a list. Looking at the cost of his attached Servitor unit, though, I can't see how they're justifiable for their cost. Why wouldn't I just pay for more Marines and het a better deal?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

You can run the servitor squad separate from the techmarine if you want. Put them with some heavy weapons and they can act like another tac/dev squad. But generally, they are used as extra wounds for your techmarine. That way, if he's running around on his own, you can place wounds on the servitors, not him. Even just one is a fairly cheap extra wound.
    FYI: Lose=To not win Loose=To not be tight There=A place Their=A person's They're=They are

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So if the Techmarine joins a unit of Servitors, he can't be singled out in assault?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by sim_james View Post
    So if the Techmarine joins a unit of Servitors, he can't be singled out in assault?
    Techmarines arn't independent characters - so yes it's just a single unit.

A 150-point techmarine unit has 6 wounds, 7 powerfist attacks, a flamer, and a TL plasma pistol. Plus the normal techmarine stuff (at +6)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
    Techmarines arn't independent characters - so yes it's just a single unit.
    Actually, according to their entry, techmarines are independent characters, so they can be singled out in assault. The unit of servitors is a unit, not a retinue. (Hence, the techmarine not having to be with the unit. of course, then they are subject to Mindlock.) I apologize for not being more clear in my original statement. I meant using the servitors for extra wounds when running around against shooting attacks.
    FYI: Lose=To not win Loose=To not be tight There=A place Their=A person's They're=They are

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

Servitors are like Ogryns--they're both fun and potentially valuable units that GW just can't seem to get right. It's easy to see how just a tweak or two would do the trick, but it never seems to happen...one Codex after another.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by MC Bone Giant View Post
    Actually, according to their entry, techmarines are independent characters, so they can be singled out in assault. The unit of servitors is a unit, not a retinue.
    I'm looking at the Blood Angels codex here, not the vanilla one. Perhaps it's changed.

In the BA book it's listed as "Unit Composition: 1 Techmarine, 0-5 Servitors" and there is no reference to the techmarine being independent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
    I'm looking at the Blood Angels codex here, not the vanilla one. Perhaps it's changed.

In the BA book it's listed as "Unit Composition: 1 Techmarine, 0-5 Servitors" and there is no reference to the techmarine being independent.
    Ah. Bingo! I have been referencing the Space Marine codex, not the BA codex. You are absolutely correct if we are talking about the BA codex. Now the real question. What codex is the OP referring too? After doing a little searching of other posts, it appears as though sim_james is an Ultramarines player.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by MC Bone Giant View Post
    The unit of servitors is a unit, not a retinue.
    Only in C:UM. BA, DA, and SW all have them as a retinue (although I'd say "wargear" is more appropriate, since servitors are more like things than people)
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

C: SM they are IC in C:BA they are not just fyi
    Edit: And I was beat to the punch
    In the last 5,000 years humans have not evolved. The things that have changed is our diet its time to revert to our primal nature go paleo http://robbwolf.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast