New .pdf vs printed codex - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

New .pdf vs printed codex

I'm curious as to whether the new .pdf file on the gw site supercedes or replaces the existing codex. If it does, it seems that DH got a severe neutering in the loss of being able to using inducted IG and SM forces in exchange for nothing. Has anyone heard anything to clarify this?

Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

Check the FAQ or where the link for the PDF is. GW has stated that both are valid, you just need the actual codex to find the allies/inducted troops rules.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyman506 View Post
    Check the FAQ or where the link for the PDF is. GW has stated that both are valid, you just need the actual codex to find the allies/inducted troops rules.
    Yeah. That's how I understand it as well. If you have the codex, use that, if not but are interested in Daemonhunters, use the PDF.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    605 (x8)

Thanks
    Praise the Emperor and pass the promethium!

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Another more serious nerfing of the online PDF is that it got rid of all the Grey Knight special rules. Thus, no shrouding, Aegis, true grit, etc. if you're using the PDF. So now grey knights only have 1 attack base.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by jy2 View Post
    Another more serious nerfing of the online PDF is that it got rid of all the Grey Knight special rules. Thus, no shrouding, Aegis, true grit, etc. if you're using the PDF. So now grey knights only have 1 attack base.
    It didn't get rid of the rules, just the entry that defines exactly what counts as a grey knight.

The rules on page 3 of the PDF are still pretty clear on what they apply to - "grey knight squad", "grey knights in power armour", etc.

Excluding the Grey Knight dreadnought of course, since it's crewed by a somewhat confused space marine.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

If a rule in a codex refers to another rule in the codex which is no longer there, then that rule doesn't do anything.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

If a rule in a codex refers to another rule in the codex which is no longer there, then that rule doesn't do anything.
    I fail to see what you are getting at here - the rules for true grit, aegis, etc are on page 3 of the pdf and the special rules for each individual unit entry clearly state "Grey Knights: Grey Knights are subject to the special rules detailed on page 3."

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
    I fail to see what you are getting at here - the rules for true grit, aegis, etc are on page 3 of the pdf and the special rules for each individual unit entry clearly state "Grey Knights: Grey Knights are subject to the special rules detailed on page 3."
    I'm not sure which PDF you're looking at, but on the Daemonhunter PDF that I downloaded from GW's website, p.3 is only about the Inquisitorial Henchmen....nothing there, or in the rest of the codex, about the Grey Knight special rules.

BTW, you can find the codex here, but you will need to have an account with GW and login.

------------ Edit ---------------

Wait, I finally found the Grey Knight special rules, but not at the beginning of the codex. Instead, they are found on the very last page of the codex in Daemonhunters Summary.
    Last edited by jy2; November 5th, 2010 at 22:46.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

430 (x8)

I'm not sure which PDF you're looking at, but on the Daemonhunter PDF that I downloaded from GW's website
    Now that's interesting - my file has the same name "m1050287a_..." but it's 25 pages long, not 24, and the page reference numbers have been corrected.

The copy I have looks just like the current one - it has the removed induction choices with the same replacement image...

Something of a mystery. I know they uploaded the WH codex twice - first with and then without the rules for allies - under the same name. Perhaps they re-uploaded the DH codex at the same time and sent an earlier revision file by mistake.

+ Reply to Thread