My Stormraven - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Stormraven

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Stormraven

I wasn't too keen on the idea of kitbashing a Stormraven, so I am designing my own. I'm really going for the "faster, smaller thunderhawk" idea. I've copied a lot of the Thunderhawk features but changed the angles here and there to make it look a little sleeker, and added more engines of course. I will be using this design to print a 3D model when I am finished, this is what I have so far.

By ksarty at 2010-10-30

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Orblivion; October 31st, 2010 at 08:24.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

It looks ok, im guessing you'll be adding the weapons and somewhere for the dreadnought to be?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I still have a lot of work to do. Weapons, wings, tail-fin, Dreadnought storage, and then detailing all of those features are still on the 'to-do' list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like your take better then the flying land raider/rhino/chimera bashed valkyrie I have seen. My only suggestion would be to look to mount the Dreadnaught in the belly like a Thunderhawk Transporter and I would think you have nailed it. Can't wait to see what the final model looks like!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

Looks good. I'd put a dip in it just behind the cockpit to the diagonal so that it doesnt look quite so boxy if at all possible.
    And now my bitter hands cradle broken glassOf what was everything... - Black by Pearl Jam

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x1)

I agree with the "Boxiness". For the dread I think mounting it in the belly lke the thunderhawk is cool. You could even go so far as to magnetize the belly of the Stormraven and the top of a dread and have it perform a drop inserttion. This wouldn't be too hard either. What material are you planning on building this with? All in all pretty cool as I would not have even gotten this far.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off to an excellent start and I anticipate the final design... Only thing I'd change at this point would be to make the wings a bit longer... they seem a bit short atm but that's just my opinion.

For the dread, you might also try putting mag-locks on the back... I saw a custom storm raven that did this to great effect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small Update. Got the TLAC added on, and finished up the engines and wings.

I looked into sloping the area just behind the cockpit a bit and it looked better, but it caused all kinds of rebuild errors in the model. I would have to start over from scratch and I just don't have the motivation for something like that.

To be honest I wanted the wings a little longer myself, but the model measures 12"x12" right now, which is fast approaching the build envelope of the machine I plan to make this in. One of the machines I run at work is an Objet 3D printer and my boss has allowed me to build this in it as long as it doesn't interfere with the machines regular schedule.

For the dreadnought, you can't see it from this angle but there is a dreadnought shaped cut-out at the back of the craft, between the engines. The dreadnought will be hung in there by magnets and will be covered on top as well as partially covered on the sides, facing out the back. I will post some more screenshots later to show other angles.

I am working on the TLMM right now, which will be mounted on a turret under the chin of the craft.
    Last edited by Orblivion; November 4th, 2010 at 06:13.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

Given the range of the TLAC, perhaps a better place for it would be right in front of the cockpit? 24" really isn't all that much, especially when fired from most of the way back on a model.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats not a bad idea at all watchwood, especially since I thought the Assault Cannon looked out of place where it is now. It doesn't have the same dominating appearance as the Thunderhawk's battlecannon. When I get home tonight I will play around with it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast