Inducted guard question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Inducted guard question

I stopped inducting guard when the current guard codex came out because I always took two armored fist squads and a russ, and of course armored fists no longer exist, but taking two entire platoons is ludicrous. Not too long ago, I heard that veterans replaced armored fists as allowable inductees...but the FAQs that I looked up (SoB doesn't seem to address the issue, and IG mentions the loss of armored fists, but does not authorize vets...) don't support that claim. Are vets legal as inductees? I'd be thrilled to get my "old" inducted guard contingent back (with upgraded BS, no less!), but I don't see how it's legal...

IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    430 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Marnepup View Post
    Are vets legal as inductees?
    Nope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    59 (x2)

Vets were allowed for 'ard Boyz tourneys, but weren't legal pretty much anywhere else.
    The best you can do is 2 platoons, give 'em Autocannons and Grenade launchers, you can kit 'em out for pretty cheap, about the same as what your old armored fists cost.

My Armored fists ran 166pts,

2 platoon squads w/AC, GL's runs 130pts, leaves you some points to play with for the PCS.

actually, I usually take only 1 platoon, with line squads kitted out as above, and the PCS mounted in a chimera w/4meltas or 4 flamers depending on what I need. Then I can have the other two squads provide chimeras for other stuff to ride in (like IST's, or Inq. Lords)
    check out Farmpunk's blog:
    the Back 40k

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Ooh...that's dirty...I do take an inquisitor lady...and I pay the SoB price for her chimmy. Inducting some guardsmen sounds like a nifty way to cut down the cost. I'd probably do what you do (except that I have the old metal cadians, so no GLs), give the PCSs plasma (I have enough meltaguns in my battle sister squads)... Hmm... so four line squads with nothing but an autocannon each, two chimmied PCSs with plasma, a cheaper chimmy for her high and mighty ladyship, and I get the Russ back in while freeing my battle sister squads to advance as the guardsmen hold the home objectives....with those plasma guns and paying for three chimmies instead of two, I guess it costs more, but I'm also getting more. I'll have to play with the numbers and see if I can make it work in my list. Cutting the cost of "executive transport" certainly helps a little! Actually, I'd probably leave out the IL, since part of the point was a plasma cannon and two plasma guns...which frees even more points, possibly enough for another battle sister squad, even after the increased cost of the guard contingent. ~runs off to play with army lists~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

59 (x2)

I'm use plas very sparingly in the new ed, since it's 3x more pts than GL's or flamers.

I used to campaign strongly for shooty inq. Lord w/sages and plas cannons, but in light of some experimentation, I like having 3 meltagunners with the Inq. Lord. Mount 'em up, and use them like a vet squad. and actually, if you mount up a PCS with 4 melta, you're statistically as effective as a vet squad, for fewer points. (ok, and fewer wounds)

I've been using this list lately, it's pretty solid.

HQ
    132 WH Inquisitor Lord w/Bolter, Psychic Hood, Melta-Bombs, 3 x Warriors (Meltas), Frags, Kraks

Elites
    158 Celestians (5) w/2 x Melta, Sister Superior, Immoliator (Flamer, Extra Armor)
    158 Celestians (5) w/2 x Melta, Sister Superior, Immoliator (Flamer, Extra Armor)

Troops
    209 Sisters (10) Hvy Flamer, Melta, Sister Superior (Book of St. Lucius), Rhino (Extra Armor, Smoke)
    209 Sisters (10) Hvy Flamer, Melta, Sister Superior (Book of St. Lucius), Rhino (Extra Armor, Smoke)
    130 IG Platoon Command Squad w/4 x Melta, Melta-Bombs, Chimera
    100 IG Infantry Squad w/Grenade Launcher, Autocannon, Commissar
    120 IG Infantry Squad w/Grenade Launcher, Autocannon, Chimera

Heavy Support
    140 Exorcist w/Extra Armor
    140 Exorcist w/Extra Armor

Total: 1496 (4 Faith Points)
    the Back 40k

(Un)Official LO Map Maker Cannibal God's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    162 (x3)

With that list, do you feel comfortable with that level of faith? Just wondering.

I've always liked the idea of induction in my SoB army, it removes some of our weaknesses. And if it's only 100 for an Inf. Squad, you can't complain too much.

Is the Inquisitor mounted or not?

That's one hell of a solid list.
    If someone helps you, rep them.
    In a votewar you don't vote on a single match, you vote on the entire round. Got that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

59 (x2)

I've found that I don't rely on faith a lot to make my army work. I had been doing the maximize faith thing for a while, and started noticing I was gobbling it up a lot with Seraphim and jumpy cannonesses. I'm rarely wanting for more faith with only 4 faithful units. If I need more, some Celestians can die.

I wanted to play a combined arms style of force, and also wanted to fit a psychic hood into my force.
    I found I could build an inquisitor Lord squad for pretty cheap, and with inducted IG, I could get good, cheap support rides for my Inq. Lord. What's even better, I can fire 5 guns out of the IG Chimera. So yes, I do mount up the Inq. Lord squad. The platoon squads blob up to both use the Commissar. The two platoons together cost 130pts, it goes up to 165 with the commissar. Not a bad price for what you get.

In the end, it's an armored list, with long range fire support. Use the exorcists, platoon, and Chimera to take out transports, then mop up with the Sisters, and Celestians.
    the Back 40k

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

298 (x8)

I'm not really concerned with maximizing faith, either, but I do end up with plenty of it taking stuff I would want anyway.

I generally take a canoness with retinue (dual melta and evisc)(typical flying nun of doom minus the flying part), three battle sister squads (HF, MG, book, and evisc), "the venerable sisters of the two tulips" (6 seraphim with 2xTLIP and evisc), an exorcist, and a tooled out inquisitor lady (PH, HoW, Purgatus, bolterXbow, power sword, power armor, plasmariffic retinue, and chimmy). That's about 1500 points. To get 1850 while adding IG, I'll prolly take 4 squads with nothing but an autocannon each, 2 PCSs with chimmies and plasma, and a russ, while dropping the IL down to an I with a smaller retinue. That way, I have about 45 sisters, about 50 guardsmen, and 5-6 tanks, depending on whether I have points for an immo...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just wanted to push for the inducted IG here as well.

I run a 1750 point list with Karamazov and a cheap Cannoness as HQ, Two Sister Squads (in IG-Chimeras with flamers and Veteran Superiors with Braziers), Two platoons (one fire support 2xAC, 1 Mortar - one 21-man blob with 3xPW, 2xMB, 2xMelta and PCS with 4 Meltas). I induct a PlasC-Leman, 6 Rough Riders, a Sentinel with LasC and HK and use an Exorcist and Callidus Assasin as well. It has worked very well for me, but requires a lot of practice to remember all special rules and combine units to the maximum. It's very fun though
    PigBenis69: pistol buff!
    You: What's the magic word?
    PigBenis69: stfu n00b

+ Reply to Thread