Assault Marines: One 10-man unit or two 5-man unit? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assault Marines: One 10-man unit or two 5-man unit?

I've got four 5-man units of Assault Marines, and I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading one of them to a 10-man unit.

Is a 10-man unit better in play than two 5-man units?

On one hand, the 10-man unit trades a seargent (and his weapon upgrade options) for a normal marine with a plasma pistol or flamer option. That doesn't seem like a good trade to me.

On the other hand, the 10-man unit has the option to combat squad or not, giving flexibility in different missions (offering fewer targets in a kill point game, maybe).

I haven't tried a 10-man unit in play. How does it work out?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

It's about what you'd expect. More guys to kill before the unit gets wiped, and attacks going outbound in shooting and CC. Unless you're specifically going for a razerback spam list or something, 10 man units is probably the way to go. That gives you the option to split the 10 man squad into a fire element (with meltaguns or whatever) and a combat element (with the Sergeant and his toys), or whatever you feel like doing for your army if you've got a version you prefer.

Double Clutching Weasel Klajorne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    479 (x8)

Like watchwood said: it depends. Is your assault squad a jumping powerfist with ablative wounds attached? Is it a mass of 9 pistol shots plus two templates then 26 close combat attacks plus 7 power weapon attacks all rerolling hits on the charge? Does it involve a lot of razorbacks? Does it have to survive footslogging across the board?

I often run a large squad with a chaplain attached. While it's a lot of points in one place (I play low points games), it's rather mean against whatever it hits. It's main problem is that it's too killy, and has a tendency to sit around and be shot by everything around it after it wiped out the unit it charged. But this is more of a problem with the rest of my army needing a little more "punch" so that I'm not expecting my one assault unit to carry the whole show. Just like you're looking at: the assault unit is just a part of the whole. What you expect from it has to do with everything else you're fielding on the board.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I saw a 10 man squad jumping towards me, I'd shoot them.
    If I saw a 5 man squad, I probably wouldn't bother.

5 man would work nicely as aggressive defence. Block a charge, get in the way, jump on some guardsmen... ask yourself if 10 men in a block do that twice as well.

I would suggest a 10 man squad in combat squads though as a good idea. You get two nice little units that are almost guaranteed a charge as sort of bodyguards for other units. They take up only one FOCS which is good.

However I have a sudden feeling you're talking Blood Angels, and there I would say either 5 man squads for more Razorbacks or 10 men just to make them better at holding objectives.

Jump pack Captains should make 10 man ultramarine jumpers troops, it's so obvious it makes me sad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I play Ultramarines - blue is my favourite colour.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

Then since your assault squads aren't troops, your bet bet is probably to go with 5 man squads and use them for the rapid delivery of powerfists to high value threats.

Unless you're also running a Jump Chaplain with them as your HQ, in which case you're probably back to the 10 man squad. Sounds fun, eh?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like to play two fast attack slots of ten man squads then combat squading them and using them to counter or shield my gun like from approaching enemies. This tactic is only used when gunlining as marines, which I've been doing more often since luck is on my side when it comes shooting (though the assault phase seems to be my bane for some reason...). I prefer the full squad even small games. At five hundred points I may take a single five man squad, though rarely do I use assault marines in 500pts or even 750pts.
    "SONS OF HELGHAN!"

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by GoliathX View Post
    If I saw a 10 man squad jumping towards me, I'd shoot them.
    If I saw a 5 man squad, I probably wouldn't bother.

Heh...not me! I'd shoot them either way (in spite of having four armies, I'm only playing the guard army I'm taking to adepticon right now), the only question is "with what?" Five of them? Torrent of fire. Ten of them? Pieplate madness. But either way, I can't afford for more than 1-2 models to reach me!
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

+ Reply to Thread