What Is Our Most Effective Close-combat Unit? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which helps out the most in CC-situations?

Voters
156. You may not vote on this poll
  • Celestian Squad w/ priest

3 1.92%
  • Arco-flagellants

34 21.79%
  • Pentinent Engines

21 13.46%
  • Inquisitor Lord with Combat Servitors or Crusaders

12 7.69%
  • Repentias w/ priest

14 8.97%
  • Eversor Assassin

20 12.82%
  • Death-Cult Assassin

7 4.49%
  • Seraphim Squad

45 28.85%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I feel the Inquisitor Lord, when packing so many armor-ignoring hits, is the most effective when used properly, (aka not jumping out of a non-Land-Raider transport and sitting there, or sitting in the transport idle for a turn.)

The close second is the seraphim squad and the third is the celestian squad with a priest attached, imo. This, of course, is assuming that the arco-flagellants and pentinent engines usually have a tough time getting across the field before dying.

Every whisper of the future from the Warp speaks of a hundred battles lost, a thousand lives devoured and a million enemies born. -- Inquisitor Lord Babel

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

I have not yet fielded any Inquisition minis, but of the SoB models the Penitent Engines have done outstanding service.

So far I have been able to place them so that as they charge they have terrain which blocks line of site on one of their flanks which limits what enemy units can fire on them. I feel that this has helped them close with the enemy forces and bring their great melee strength to bear.
    "The sword that takes life gives life."

-Japanese proverb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although I never use them the best in cc are Penitent Engines (which i voted for), the problem is to get them there...
    <a href='http://forum.librarium-online.com/index.php?showtopic=16083' target='_blank'>Master of the Convent of Our Martyred Saint</a>

Get your sig from-tHe BaD GuY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    171 (x6)

I would say Seraphim (With a tooled up Cannoness) would be the best choice since they have a good chance of getting to their target and then a good chance of whopping up on said target upon arrival.

Penitent engines are my second choice, but they are so darned unpredictable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hourglass: I would never put the canoness with the Seraphim (only the living saint) as if i did the Seraphim would lose their best attribute, Hit and Run.

Even if the Canoness was just beside the seraphim and not actually part of the squad, so the seraphim could hit and run, that would still mean that after runing the seraphim would be unable to flame/shoot at the same squad since it would be in combat with the Canoness and going after another squad and leaving the Canoness by her self is as good as ordering a coffin.
    <a href='http://forum.librarium-online.com/index.php?showtopic=16083' target='_blank'>Master of the Convent of Our Martyred Saint</a>

Get your sig from-tHe BaD GuY

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x2)

I go for seraphim, simply because mine destroyed a terminator squad once...

But if I recall correctly, this thing has been done before... no?
    "I have died a thousand deaths, and I will die a million more..."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It has to be the Penitent engines.

They defeat a lot of very nasty things in melee that the entire witch hunters list would otherwise be helpless against (bloodletters, deamon princes, Death Company, Black Templars and many many others). Sure they get beaten up outside of close combat, but once there their unstoppable.

Saraphim are second. Their better at getting to close combat, but they arent as strong once there. The melta bombs they have, and higher initiative does make them better for taking out dreadnaughts in close combat though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My vote is for the Arco&#39;s...I use them in every game and they are often overlooked by my opponents (to their detriment and surprise when they charge in) becaue they are not huge and imposing models.
    I switch them on in the first round and use terrain cover or vehicle cover to get them up the table, bearing in mind that the extra d6 movement ignores terrain.
    Hopefully they dont kill themselves on the way in but even so, if 3 or more get into CC then its all over red rover for my opponents, if nothing more they are almost guaranteed to tie up a unit for most of the game in h2h.
    I&#39;ve taken out terminator squads with them, half of an ork speedfreak army and frequently multiple units of marines in the one game.
    There&#39;s nothing quite like the look on a marine players face when 5 scrawny models extra move into range and then charge in with 20+ power weapon attacks in a single round and then they back up with T5 and 4+ invulnerables&#33;

I&#39;ve just started fielding some Penitents so am still undecided on their ability but I give them credit for being able to draw heavy fire away from other squads.

Maybe I&#39;m doing something wrong with Sera and Cels as neither has been awesome h2h exponents for me. The Sera have been great combat support troops but thats about it for me. And the Cels have never worked...admittedly I have only played them as a retinue for my Canoness though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ps. also play the eversor from time to time and he&#39;s awesome...if he gets in&#33; I&#39;ve found in several games the opponent spent lots of time evading him so he&#39;s walked the table for the game and done little else. Still, he&#39;s a very cool looking model (I have the one with the severed head in his neuro-gauntlet and I painted it so the power weapon is glowing red, including light souce effect) and puts the fear of the Emporer into lots of players.
    Sometimes its all about psyching your opponent out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Penitent engines all the way against other unpredictable armies. Unpredictable Vs unpredictable (for example a world eaters army) = win for penitents.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast