Thinking of starting Wolves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking of starting Wolves

So, as the title said, I am thinking of starting a Space Wolves army. I figured that the following would get me to a pretty decent starting place:

2x Space Wolves Battleforce
    Wolf Guard Pack terminators box
    Wolf Lord in Terminator Armor
    Rune Priest in Terminator Armor
    Land Raider

With perhaps a bit of additional bits I should be able to create 18 grey hunters and 5 scouts with each battleforce.

I was thinking of creating 4 packs of Grey Hunters out of the boxes, each pack with a power fist, plasmagun, and plasma pistol.

The scouts I'm not sure what to do with. Seeing as how they are not sniper scouts, I suppose the best thing to do would be to have the 1 heavy bolter that comes with them and 1-2 power weapons per pack of 5 scouts?

The wolf guard I was thinking of just having 1 with an assault cannon and powerfist, 2 with storm bolters and chainfists, and 2 with storm bolters and power fists. They would probably be deployed in the land raider.

One thing I'm not sure what to do about is the wolf lord in termie armor. There is no generic wolf lord model that I can see. Would I just have to buy one of the named Wolf Lords and use him as a generic one?

Is there any problems with this that anyone can see? Any suggestions?

EDIT: One thing I forgot to mention was considering getting 4 Rhinos to transport the grey hunter packs.

Last edited by Khisanth Magus; November 29th, 2010 at 02:45.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    185 (x4)

It's not bad, overall. What people usually do with Scouts is give them a meltagun, and a wolf guard with a combi-melta, and then use their Behind Enemy Lines ability to nail some vulnerable targets from the rear.

You know that you don't actaully *have* to buy a special model for one of the generic HQs, right? I've built nearly all of mine out of regular plastics, and just gave them paint jobs to set them apart. As long as the wargear's all modelled, and you can tell they're special, it's really not a big deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So basically I could just take a wolf guard termie and model it a bit different to make it stand out and use it as a Wolf Lord in Termie armor?

All of my other experience is with my Necron and Tyranid armies, so I'm rather new to the whole marine thing.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Yup! You can take any space marine and spruce him up a bit with special wargear, and make him any HQ (As long as you have the right stuff for WYSIWYG). So yes, take that terminator and make him a wolf lord! Take a regular space marine and make him a rune priest! What the heck, make the Logan Grimnar from basic marine pieces if you feel like it! Space marines are probably the most versatile modelling army (besides Orks), so go ahead and go crazy with your options.
    Tau Empire: We never stop hiding from you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using what is available in the 2 battleforces, wolf guard termie pack, some extra bits, and some vehicle sets, came up with this 2k list:

2000 Pts - Space Wolves Roster

HQ: Rune Priest in Terminator Armour - Jaws of the World Wolf; Storm Caller

HQ: Wolf Lord in Terminator Armour - Storm Shield; Thunder Hammer; Saga of the Bear

Troops: 8 Grey Hunters Pack
    - Power Weapon and Plasma pistol
    - Plasmagun
    - Rhino

- Power Weapon and Plasma pistol
    - Plasmagun
    - Rhino

- Power Fist
    - Plasmagun
    - Rhino

- Power Fist
    - Plasmagun
    - Rhino

Elite: 5 Wolf Guard Pack
    - 1 Assault Cannon & Power Fist
    - 2 Storm bolter and chainfist
    - 2 Storm bolter and power fist
    - 1 Land Raider

Elite: 5 Wolf Scouts Pack
    - 2x Power Weapons
    - 1x Heavy Bolter

Elite: 5 Wolf Scouts Pack
    - 2x Power Weapons
    - 1x Heavy Bolter

Heavy Support: Long Fangs Pack
    - 2x Missile Launchers
    - 2x Lascannon
    - 1 Squad Leader w/ Plasmagun

Probably put the wolf lord and rune priest with the grey hunter packs with power fists. Would be nice to have a transport for the long fangs, but can't find any way to manage that. I'm trying to make the most use out of the battleforces, especially as blood claws seem to be lackluster.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

You're missing the 5th heavy weapon in that long fang pack Also by using a space wolf terminator as lord prohibits you using a terminator heavy weapon (unless you buy another box) and remember space wolves do not teleport, but can use drop pods.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Khisanth Magus View Post
    One thing I forgot to mention was considering getting 4 Rhinos to transport the grey hunter packs.
    If you're new to marines I should tell you, never buy a rhino, buy a razorback.

They cost the same and you get extra. The razorback box contains the full rhino kit pluss the weapon upgrades for the razorback. Even if you want to field some rhinos you'll still have some extra bitz to play with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheShad0w View Post
    You're missing the 5th heavy weapon in that long fang pack Also by using a space wolf terminator as lord prohibits you using a terminator heavy weapon (unless you buy another box) and remember space wolves do not teleport, but can use drop pods.
    The intention with the Long Fangs Pack was to start with a base of a Marine Devistator box(4 devistators and a seargant), then convert them to space wolves by using space wolf heads and shoulder guard bits(along with other bits here and there possibly), with the seargent as the squad leader, who is unable to use heavy weapons.

If you're new to marines I should tell you, never buy a rhino, buy a razorback.

They cost the same and you get extra. The razorback box contains the full rhino kit pluss the weapon upgrades for the razorback. Even if you want to field some rhinos you'll still have some extra bitz to play with.
    Thanks for the advice. Will probably end up doing that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

Eh? You buy a devastator box and a space wolf box, you then have 6 space wolf models, one who is the guy in charge, then you can have 5 heavy weapons. Personally if i had the bits id go with 3 lascannons and 2 heavy bolters or 5 heavy missiles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whats the deal with not using the drop pods arnt they about the same as rhinos except that one would have to come in on first turn. if im not mistaken battleforces give you one per battle force. rihnos can fail to reach their target alot while drop pods not so much. buy the land raider crusader set it comes with redeemer too which gives you two options better than lascannons imo. also run the scouts in a ten man squad yes you lose some special weapons but less kill points and makes them harder to kill.

Also, meltaguns over plasmaguns any day yes plasma shoot farther but your troops are always on the move so you will only get to shoot 12" and strength 8 ap 1 owns tanks and its double most units in the games strength so instadeath is nice imo. and plasma guns can "get hot" killing themselfs rarley but it sucks when it happens. also id drop the chain fist stat wise they look alsome but in reality most tanks you assault will die from 10 strength 8 attacks. this will give you 10 more points to spend on gear that will be used more often.
    Space marines 6 dread army Wins: 4 ties:2 Loses:7 Modified Standard nilla marines Wins:37 Ties:8 Loses 42 Daemonhunters Wins:3 Ties:0 Loses:1 Full assualt concept army wins: 6 Ties: none Loses: 2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast