Dreadnought Loadouts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dreadnought Loadouts

I play a descent of angels list where al my models are jump pack armed, however in larger (2k+) games, I add a dakka pred, a tactical/termie squad and a dread. However what dread loadout is better for a descent list? Furioso to combine with the combat options? Or Las/missile for the ranged support?

I usually run assault cannon and blood fist dread for its flexibilty, but just wondering if I am doing myself out of a better tactical option for my type of play?

Oh and I don't own a drop pod so cannot deep strike the dread so it's going to have to slog the way across (supported by the pred and tactical/termie squad)

Thanks for any feedback

Last edited by actorz2005; December 5th, 2010 at 00:09.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had success with a Venerable Dread with AC and PF (I play vanilla though)... If your having to footslog a dread... probably should go with some backfield Dakka... I'd see how Las/Missile works for ya.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a Vanilla perspective:

For supporting fire, there are only 3 guns that do the business. Missile/Autocannon/Lascannon.
    I suggest Autocannon+Autocannon for very nice transport killing power. AV13+ it's hopeless but it fills a nice role of can opener, which your Assault Squads will surely appreciate! The Missile is clearly bad at this, one S8 shot vs 2TL S7 shots for the same price is a bad matchup. (Missile has ~44% chance to pen AV10, Autocannon also has ~44% chance but you get two shots (so 66% chance to pen!) and might even pen twice!

Lascannon seems too expensive, though if you prefer one strong shot to more weak ones it's nice. Doesn't really gel with the Autocannon on the other arm though as their S and AP are a bit too different.

One build I'd never even considered before is Plasma Cannon+Missile Launcher. Two Blast weapons at medium range/strength sounds nice even though I'm not normally a Plasma Cannon fan.

I also realise BA can get jump packs on their Dreads right? That might change things for you I don't know

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GoliathX View Post
    I also realise BA can get jump packs on their Dreads right? That might change things for you I don't know
    The Furioso Librarian Dreadnought can choose the Wings of Sanguinius psychic power, which allows them to move as jump infantry. Other than that, no they do not get jump packs.

OT: I also run a heavy DOA list, and what I'm currently using involves either a Furioso or DCD loaded in my Stormraven. It gives me a way to transport my dreadnought right into the thick of things and allow it to assault right away. The Stormraven makes more sense for the DCD because it bypasses Rage long enough to get near the target you want it to go after.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

I would go with one of the following:

Furiso Librarian (can keep up)
    Dread w/ AutoCannon + Assault Cannon (can maim light/medium troops, pop light vehicles and maybe even take out a heavy tank)
    Dread w/ Plasma Cannon + Missile Launcher (excellent at killing all classes of vehicles)
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Bah, double post
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by realitycheque View Post
    Dread w/ Plasma Cannon + Missile Launcher (excellent at killing all classes of vehicles)
    Did you mean Lascannon and Missile Launcher? Plas/Missile just doesnt seem to gel for me. One is for killing termies and their kin, the other is for killing medium vehicles or light infantry.

Rifleman (2 x TLAC) would suit best in my opinion as it will open up those pesky transports to let your assault marines tear up the soft contents. You should have melta for the heavy stuff.

Bias
    And now my bitter hands cradle broken glassOf what was everything... - Black by Pearl Jam

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

403 (x8)

I actually meant to say killing all classes of infantry - bit of a brainfart there! Both are very good for killing MEQ/GEQ. Krak/plasma against MEQ, Frag/plasma against GEQ.
    My Deathwatch Campaign

+ Reply to Thread